A new Maniago

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
turbo_dog

Re: A new Maniago

Post by turbo_dog »

I also like the idea of a trap door, and of a "rizzuto" style knife.

But this thread made me think of the style I would most like to see, albeit not really new (http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19548)

I would love to see a flat grind damascus blade, or possibly carbon steel, or D2 blade, in a birds beak knife. To me it is the perfect auto to carry. 8 Inches is not too big to carry in your pocket, the lever lock doesnt require a safety, there are no guards to hang up on your pocket, and it's just a beautiful classic style. I personally would like to see Ebony scales, but I'm sure others prefer other choices which could also be available. Possibly with nickel silver bolsters for a change from normal brass, although I love the look of the brass.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

leighdog wrote:It was just a thought""You dont have to be a smart ass""
Mr. LeighDog,

Just being my normal self. Actually, the boys in Maniago should take a hard look at guys like Burn for ideas.
http://burnknives.com/

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Im sorry buddy.I didnt mean to say that.I just took it wrong.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bonzo wrote:[quote= Actually, the boys in Maniago should take a hard look at guys like Burn for ideas.
http://burnknives.com/

Best regards,

Bonz
Why not ? Those guys took a hard look at Maniago :wink:
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Why not a front opening using knife?

The 777 with a flat or half serrated blade is a good work knife, the 'flat' and striped models also, but all I ever see is the dagger blade.

No rancor, but the Rizzuto(I suspect the name came from Phil Rizzuto, the noted Italian-American ball player) was cribbed from a very old knife pattern. The stiletto we know and love came from Campolin in 1947. The folding guard knife goes back to the 1850s. So how can there be a Rizzuto copy?

Put a bail on a flat ground swing guard, there's a quality version of the Rizzuto. I'll buy some, anyone else?
Life has no value, Death has a price
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

krakenten wrote:No rancor, but the Rizzuto(I suspect the name came from Phil Rizzuto, the noted Italian-American ball player) was cribbed from a very old knife pattern. The stiletto we know and love came from Campolin in 1947. The folding guard knife goes back to the 1850s. So how can there be a Rizzuto copy?

Put a bail on a flat ground swing guard, there's a quality version of the Rizzuto. I'll buy some, anyone else?
It's understandable how you might think that putting a bail on a typical Italian swinger with a flat grind blade would equate to a Rizzuto. Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be a step in the right direction. But, as a fan of the Rizzuto style I see subtle differences in the design that you must not (shape of the guards and other parts of the overall way they look). I suppose one could say that all of the swing guards are technically a copy of the very first, but that's really generalizing a bit I think. I've gone into detail on this in the past, but I won't bore everybody with it once again. I will say that the original Rizzuto was an Italian knife. An example of one of them is the white scaled knife pictured in the second post in this thread. That is the Rizzuto I would like to see brought back to life...the original Italian lockback. They were stamped "Rizzuto Estileto Milano" (even the original Italian lock-backs), but they were probably not named after Phil Rizzuto... unless the Italians were huge baseball fans (seems a little silly to me but I guess it's possible).

Honestly though I'd be more excited about seeing quality front openers that borrow design cues from the trap-doors.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
TMD

Post by TMD »

My suggestions
Rizzuto style swing guard, making it in good quality would be a best seller.

All metal leverlock

Trap door OTF

Single action OTF, same pattern as the pinned “super automatic” but manual retraction.
skinny

Post by skinny »

Whatever this turns out to be, I hope it's one that is actually going to be strong enough to stand up to some USE. I don't carry a knife as a last-ditch weapon; I want my knife to be a durable tool. So please, make it solid and strong. Please? Please. :idea:
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!
skinny wrote:Whatever this turns out to be, I hope it's one that is actually going to be strong enough to stand up to some USE. I don't carry a knife as a last-ditch weapon; I want my knife to be a durable tool. So please, make it solid and strong. Please? Please. :idea:
It will be a solid knife, made to actually use it.

M.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

How about a Medici with a unique firing system :?: You rarely see them in an auto. It would have to have a solid lock up and a razor sharp blade.
wazu013
Attachments
medici.jpg
medici.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

wazu013 wrote:How about a Medici with a unique firing system :?: You rarely see them in an auto. It would have to have a solid lock up and a razor sharp blade.
wazu013
:idea: A solid, slightly larger one, would be great. But, let us choose from the options we were originally given :idea:
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm probably in the minority but I would like to see a well made usable pocket knife. NS bolsters and decent blade steel that will stay sharp. Unlike the Speed hunters, I would like a slimmer profile...Maybe something like these lockbacks were. Either with the lock back, or button open/close and available in the usual scale materials like horn, stag, acyrlic, wood etc.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Terry,

You nailed it. :D

Jim
skinny

Post by skinny »

arthas wrote:Hello!
skinny wrote:Whatever this turns out to be, I hope it's one that is actually going to be strong enough to stand up to some USE. I don't carry a knife as a last-ditch weapon; I want my knife to be a durable tool. So please, make it solid and strong. Please? Please. :idea:
It will be a solid knife, made to actually use it.

M.
Excellent! I will begin saving my pennies now, so that I am prepared when the time comes. :mrgreen:
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

How about a Medici with a unique firing system
...What do you mean by that?