A new Maniago

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: A new Maniago

Post by Vagrant »

An auto okapi/navaja would be great :D But, getting it past "the powers tthat be" is another problem :roll:
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Vagrant wrote:An auto okapi/navaja would be great :D But, getting it past "the powers tthat be" is another problem :roll:

Yikes. Not a big okapi fan ... South African knives :?
Belmont800
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Carbon steel instead of stainless - end of discussion :wink:
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Vagrant wrote:Carbon steel instead of stainless - end of discussion :wink:
Agreed 100%!!! :D
Belmont800
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Maniago will make what makes - a knife for people who flick it once or twice and put it on the wall? Or people who put it in their pocket and and use it all day every day?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

whippersnapper wrote:I'm probably in the minority but I would like to see a well made usable pocket knife. NS bolsters and decent blade steel that will stay sharp. Unlike the Speed hunters, I would like a slimmer profile...Maybe something like these lockbacks were. Either with the lock back, or button open/close and available in the usual scale materials like horn, stag, acyrlic, wood etc.
This is close to perfect 8) :!:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Maniago is able to make very nice knives, we shall see what new cutlery they offer us. :) :idea:
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Vagrant wrote: Image
This is close to perfect 8) :!:[/quote]

Either 1095 or something like 154 CM. I like that knife much. Looks slim and pocket friendly, I really enjoy actually using my knives. Don't have too many that are still cherry even though they lose value when used.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Vagrant wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:I'm probably in the minority but I would like to see a well made usable pocket knife. NS bolsters and decent blade steel that will stay sharp. Unlike the Speed hunters, I would like a slimmer profile...Maybe something like these lockbacks were. Either with the lock back, or button open/close and available in the usual scale materials like horn, stag, acyrlic, wood etc.

I've wondered about these knives; why are they not considered Medicis? Does a Medici has to have swing guards? That's seems to be the only difference between that guardless knife and a Medici.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"Medicis" were an auto copy of the Puma Medici. The guards and bayo blade, make them less ideal as a serious "using" knife :idea:
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Vagrant wrote:

I would buy a couple of those.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Vagrant wrote:"Medicis" were an auto copy of the Puma Medici. The guards and bayo blade, make them less ideal as a serious "using" knife :idea:
I agree that Medicis are more of a showin' piece than a using one.

Also, did you mean to say dagger blade? Every Puma Medici I have ever seen has a dagger.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

JimBrown257 wrote:
Also, did you mean to say dagger blade? Every Puma Medici I have ever seen has a dagger.
My bad :oops:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My idea for a serious o.t.f. [would require a sheath] but design it to only retract 1/2 way [and leave 1/2 exposed], this would allow a much longer blade then the usual o.t.f. and permit use when retracted for most uses :idea: [An everday kinfe, that would have a longer blade when you need one] :idea:
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Sadly, such knives have been around since the 1850s, and have never proved popular or practical.

Even the Marble's knives, the best of a bad lot, were never big sellers beyond the niche of New England, where timber scouts liked them, because they could be carried in casual clothes. Deems like a good idea, just never works.

As to the navaja, the Catalana-I have one in a 13'' pattern- are navajas. They were often called clasp knives, way back then, and Sherlock Holmes pinned his correspondence to the mantle with one.

Look to the old patterns, improve them and return them to the world!
Life has no value, Death has a price