Medici swing guard

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Medici swing guard

Post by missaman »

I've been carrying a medici as an edc for a coulpe weeks now. Nice and light but i noticed the tip of the knife is burned. the one in my display case is burned as well. I assume from the blade grinding process anybody else have medici knives with burned blade tips?
It has preformed such gruelling tasks as opening the mail cutting string and opening a pack of hot dogs :roll:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

missaman,

Many of my stilettos and Italian swing guards exhibit said brown tip disease.

One task that you should subject the Medici to on a regular basis is opening packages that contain even more switchblades :lol:

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

[quote="jim d,"]missaman,

Many of my stilettos and Italian swing guards exhibit said brown tip
disease.
It preformed that task yesterday opening a new edgeco lanyard pull auto Mr. Bigg had his eye on :lol: :
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

I've got a couple that were burned on the butt end or the back spring right between the bottom bolsters. A 3M green pad and some polishing time with the dremel took care of it.

M.P.E.
omega

Post by omega »

Ditto on what mypetelvis said.

Start with the large Dremel felt polishing wheel after applying a little Flitz to the blade and allowing it to dry.

Then follow with a fresh felt wheel with a little jeweler's rouge.

Careful with the dremel speed and not allowing one spot on the steel to heat up real bad - that will give you more discoloration than what you started with.

This is good for small spots, but for anything larger, you should really have someone do it who has a large buffing wheel and appropriate grades of polish. Otherwise you can get an uneven polish on the blade and then it looks like hell.

Some of the experienced manglers and makers can do it for you - might even be a better idea. Once Waya is feeling better and caught up with his other projects, you might write and ask him. He did a minor repair on a Jndiana Swing for me some months back - and the polish on that piece when it came back was nothing short of perfection.

I bet if you asked nice, at least one of our resident knife surgeons could/would do it for you and probably very reasonbly.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I've had good results with wet sanding with a 800 too 1000 grit sandpaper then finishing with jeweler's rouge. Then finish off with some simichrome and a buffing wheel.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

How about the newer 11" swings from AKC. I notice (from some of Stu's photography) the guards seem to be a little more centered. Anyone have one yet?
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I just got my first snakewood swinger from stu a coupla weeks ago. Its a really high quality fit and finish. Its my first so I dont have any to compare to, but its really a nice piece and worth every cent I paid for.
Beautiful-
A little off topic, but if you dont have a snakewood italian, I would highly reccomend it. Its a great combo imho.
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

I just this minute recieved a lovely blonde 11" swinger from A/B,and it is one nice knife.The guard,near as dammit,is centred,making these much nicer on the eye! Good snap AND lockup!I'll post a photo soon! :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8) Image Image
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. TSK,

My favourites just got even better ..... they sure look nicer for the guards being more central .... great stuff...
thanks for the pic...

Best wishes
Teddy
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This is a sign the tip was subjected to heat [not good]. With carbon steel the color is an excelent indication of how much [if any] this affected the temper. With stainless it does not indicate anything except it got hot. There are no color charts or "rule of thumb" on what any coloring indicates.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Excellent horn on that one too, Mr. SLK.