Can someone explain this ballistic knife?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Can someone explain this ballistic knife?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes-50+ years later.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

If the modern one-handed knives that have blade studs, holes and assisted-opening mechanisms had been invented in the 1950s, I am sure that those would have been banned too under the federal law. If you read the wording of the law, it is clear that the commies in congress intended to ban all one-handed knives, but they were not sharp enough to ban something that had not yet been invented. I saw the re-release of Titanic in 3-D recently, and in one scene a character uses his teeth to open a pocket knife so he can cut a tangled boat line. My thought was, "he should have had a switchblade." Unfortunately, during the moral panic of the 1950s, the use of these knives as tools was ignored. Wonder how much crime dropped after the 1958 law LOL! Interestingly, Switzerland banned switchblades in the mid 1980s, and I once talked with a Swiss citizen on a gun forum about the knife laws there, and he said they were passed because the knives were carried by juvenile delinquents coming into Switzerland from other countries, and knife laws gave police a "reason" to arrest them. Sounds like the same crap reasons given for knife laws in the U.S.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

DARK has hit the nail on the head.
Belmont800
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

While we're on the subject of push-button knife-laws, what's the deal with sellers not selling to residents of their own states, Illionois and New York?

I believe that selling to someone in your own state is a tax issue but what about Illinois and New York? From what I can find, SBs are technically illegal in those two states...just like most other states. So why are dealers especially reluctant when it comes to those two states?
Shinlin09

Post by Shinlin09 »

That knife shoots a .22 caliber bullet in a 5 round cylinder like a revolver. It isn't like the ballistic knife from games like call of duty and the blade doesn't shoot out at all. You can easily make a ballistic knife out of some pvc pipe and a spring for an airsoft gun, but it is very hard to reload. They usually only have an effective range of about 20-30 feet but are fun to play around with. As far as the home made ballistic knife, get a cheap gun and take it apart. All the things you need are in the gun besides pvc pipe, a couple screws, and whatever you want to launch on the knife.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

So why are dealers especially reluctant when it comes to those two states?
Because those two states have histories of pursueing prosecution of a few dealers, I think.
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

Whippersnapper is correct, a few years ago the attys. general in both New York and Ill. pursued a couple of dealers for sending knives to customers in their respective states, I believe Phils fine cutlery was one of them Jim
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

switchman1 wrote:Whippersnapper is correct, a few years ago the attys. general in both New York and Ill. pursued a couple of dealers for sending knives to customers in their respective states, I believe Phils fine cutlery was one of them Jim
Thanks.

And do you know if it is merely a case of the laws actually being enforced or are the laws also more severe? I looked up auto-knife laws by state but I couldn't find out much more than stuff like illegal/legal/permit needed.

It's truly astounding that a person could rise to the rank of a judge and not know that cases that involve how a pocket knife opens is a waste of valuable court time.
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

I am sure everyone here agrees 100% Jim
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
kyubiie

Post by kyubiie »

A ballistic knife is a knife with a detachable, self-propelled blade that can be ejected to a distance of several meters by pressing a trigger or operating a lever or switch on the handle. Spring-powered ballistic knives briefly gained notoriety in the United States in the mid-1980s after commercial examples were marketed and sold in the United States and other Western countries. Since then, the marketing and/or sale of ballistic knives to civilians has been restricted or prohibited by law in several countries.

Last edited by kyubiie on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

kyubiie wrote:A ballistic knife is a knife with a detachable, self-propelled blade that can be ejected to a distance of several meters by pressing a trigger or operating a lever or switch on the handle. Spring-powered ballistic knives briefly gained notoriety in the United States in the mid-1980s after commercial examples were marketed and sold in the United States and other Western countries. Since then, the marketing and/or sale of ballistic knives to civilians has been restricted or prohibited by law in several countries.
Way to copy/paste from Wikipedia. You could've at least changed a few words to make it seem like you're actually trying to contribute. :roll: You gonna post a link to your website now?
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

BTB0923 wrote:
kyubiie wrote:A ballistic knife is a knife with a detachable, self-propelled blade that can be ejected to a distance of several meters by pressing a trigger or operating a lever or switch on the handle. Spring-powered ballistic knives briefly gained notoriety in the United States in the mid-1980s after commercial examples were marketed and sold in the United States and other Western countries. Since then, the marketing and/or sale of ballistic knives to civilians has been restricted or prohibited by law in several countries.
Way to copy/paste from Wikipedia. You could've at least changed a few words to make it seem like you're actually trying to contribute. :roll: You gonna post a link to your website now?

I'm more impressed by the efficiency of not wasting time reading the OP (in which I said excatly exactly what he said) before answering.

It reminds me of my experiences with asking questions on Yahoo Answers. Last week, I was having problems with my Flash Player. Videos kept stopping and I'd get a box telling me I had to install the latest version of Flash Player (even though I already had the latest Flash Player). So I asked what could be the problem and twice within my question I stated clearly and concisely that I had intalled and re-installed Flash Player over five times but the problem kept occuring.

Of course, I got a bunch of "answers" telling me that all I needed to do was install the latest version of Flash Player.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

JimBrown257 wrote:
BTB0923 wrote:

I'm more impressed by the efficiency of not wasting time reading the OP (in which I said excatly exactly what he said) before answering.

It reminds me of my experiences with asking questions on Yahoo Answers. Last week, I was having problems with my Flash Player. Videos kept stopping and I'd get a box telling me I had to install the latest version of Flash Player (even though I already had the latest Flash Player). So I asked what could be the problem and twice within my question I stated clearly and concisely that I had intalled and re-installed Flash Player over five times but the problem kept occuring.

Of course, I got a bunch of "answers" telling me that all I needed to do was install the latest version of Flash Player.
Are you still having this problem?

Maybe if you uninstal all flash player...then reinstal the latest? Not sure if that would help you didn't mention if you uninstalled the old versions first. Normally you don't have to, but sometimes if it wants to be a pain in order to update programs you need to uninstal the old one first.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

BTB0923 wrote: Way to copy/paste from Wikipedia. You could've at least changed a few words to make it seem like you're actually trying to contribute. :roll: You gonna post a link to your website now?
Hey, lighten-upness, Mr. BTB - He the one who "invented weapons like combat knife..."
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Chrisadamley wrote: Maybe if you uninstal all flash player...then reinstal the latest? Not sure if that would help you didn't mention if you uninstalled the old versions first. Normally you don't have to, but sometimes if it wants to be a pain in order to update programs you need to uninstal the old one first.

Normally, it doesn't occur to me to uninstall a program before updating it but in this case I was desperate to try anything so I did try unistalling it and re-installing it and the problem just kept happening. It sounds like it is an issue with FP 11 because when I Google "problems with flash player" I find a lot of people who are having this issue with the latest version. I eventually found a list of things that could remedy it; it was mostly getting rid of certain programs or swapping them for others (I checked, it wasn't some companies trick to use their program).

I did all that stuff. That was just two days ago that I did this stuff so I don't know if it worked or not. It wasn't all the time that I was having this problem, just once every two days or so. But it was enough to be really annoying. And I was actually more concerned that there might be something going wrong with my computer so I was kind of relieved to see that lots of other people were having the same problem.

Thanks for the help, though; I'll let you know how things turn out.