How feasible would it be to convert this to an auto?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JimBrown257

How feasible would it be to convert this to an auto?

Post by JimBrown257 »

Hello,

I have been looking at those Buck 110s and other manual openers that have been converted to automatics and I thought that would be something I'd like to learn how to do. The mechanics of a leaf-spring side-opener aren't too complicated and I am pretty handy so this is something I'm sure I can handle.

So I was wondering if this knife (see picture) is something that could be feasibly converted to an auto with a leaf spring. The knife is a 15" (non-auto) stiletto so the hardest part would probably be finding the right size leaf spring. Also, that's not actually my knife; it's one I saw on Ebay. The starting price was $60 so I can probably find one cheaper. I have a collection of dark rosewood (auto) stilettos from 2.75" to 13" and I really want a 15" one too. This might be the only way I can get one as 15" stilettos are pretty rare.

Of course, for my first foray into knife conversion, I should probably start with trying to convert a standard 9 inch stiletto.

First, I need to find all the parts, of course. All the stuff I found had to do with converting pocket knifes into coil spring autos. Where could I find different sizes of leaf springs (especially one for a 15" knife) and the button, or lever, and pin mechanism? Is there another site where I can find more information about doing something like this? Does anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks,

-J
Attachments
15" Rosewood stiletto, non-auto
15" Rosewood stiletto, non-auto
15 inch Stiletto.jpg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: How feasible would it be to convert this to an auto?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you are going to convert knives, you'll have to MAKE the parts.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
peter44

Post by peter44 »

Why dont you buy a 15" auto and just change the scales :?: a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle :!: :D
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

2nd from left is 15". I'm flying out on a redeye tomorrow morning and wont get back till Wednesday night next week. I have no need for a 15" or the 17.5" for that matter. If you wait and want to just buy either your welcome to make an offer by PM. If you don't like the scales there are so many guy here that can change them you'll have no trouble. Both knives have been stored open and both are tight, straight, and damn near perfect. I don't even know why I had to have them at the time. You sure as Hell can't carry them. But, if that's what ya want; you can probably talk me out of either. I can't access talkblade when I'm out of town. Greg

I usually just buy more knives and hold them even if they don't blow my doors off. But since ya want a big'un I'm willing to let go with either or both. I think they came straight from AB years ago when I got the urge for something unusual.

This might (likely) will be lots easier than a conversion. Hell; Bill or Straydog can do a scale change in the dark with 1 hand.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Hogwild, PM sent.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yeah, I realize it would be easier and cheaper to simply buy a 15" and adjust the scales but this is more of a project thing that I'm interested in pursuing.
(EDIT: Looking at my OP now, I might not have been clear about this part)

I built my own coffee table, for example. I probably could bought a coffee table store with the money I had spent by the time I was done. Of course, when I was done, I also had the tools, experience, satisfaction of a job well done and new skill.

And actually, since I started this thread, I've found many of the parts (the the firing mechanism) for sale (cheap too). The leaf spring for a 15 incher still eludes me, however.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim,
You will find, as a rule, that parts in Italian knives are not usually interchangeable.
That's why I told you you will have to learn to make them.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That's why I told you you will have to learn to make them.
...Yeah, I'm starting to find this out.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Look at the picture I posted to this link for a parts idea....

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19394
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Tom,

Thanks for the great picture.

I see now what Bill was trying to get at with the "non-interchangable parts".
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's a lot worse than you think. Even parts from the same manufacturer don't always interchange.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's a lot worse than you think. Even parts from the same manufacturer don't always interchange.
Do you know anyone who has a prosthetic limb? My friend works with amputees. One day I was at his office and I noticed a wall of things that look like allen wrenches. They are the tools for making adjustments on the prosthetic limbs but there are hundreds of them (all for different models, manufacturers, sizes, and many other catagories) and, of course, you need the exact tool to make the adjustment on whatever model with which you are dealing. The idea, as you can imagine, is that they don't want just anyone trying to make adjustments themselves as modern prosthetics are very complicated (and very expensive).

The good news is that many of these fake limbs are so sophisticated that a person who lost a leg above the knee can live a virtually unhindered life.

The bad news is that if you are visiting another country and something goes wrong, you might find yourself in a sticky situation (have fun finding key #4739247B-70934 when you're in Latvia). Imagine that scene in The African Queen when part of the boat's prop breaks.

-J

P.S. I'm starting to understand what I'd be up against with converting something like that knife in the OP.