Mikov design change is here...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

jim & Vagrant,

There was no sign of damage or tampering with the package with the defective Hubie from Knifeshop. That's the first thing I would have noticed before tearing into it. Inside the package, the knife was wrapped in newspaper and was inside a Hubertus box (undamaged) that was encased in bubble wrap (at my request). What I got was a crappy knife that had not been checked at the source. I should mention that the stag handled replacement was straight, tight, and worked perfectly until the kick spring became a 2-piece.

Greyblade
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Greyblade,

Your case confirms shipment of a defective knife. You have enlightened me to the fact that bubble wrap can be requested, a great idea that I will incorporate into future purchases. I suppose that my receipt of crushed boxes made me suspicious of transit damage.

I once received an 11 inch stiletto from them in which the blade was so loose that by shaking the knife in the open position you could rattle the blade. If there is one defect that I detest, it is a loose blade. Perhaps this is another data point regarding the extent (or lack thereof) of pre-shipment inspection.

Jim
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

jim,

You can also request and get items bubble wrapped from AB/SKM and Frank Beltrame. I sympathize with you on the loose blades. Nothing disappoints me more than opening an anxiously awaited package of goodies from overseas only to find that, for one reason or another, they come up short relative to expectations. I've never had a problem with American knives from PVK.

Greyblade
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Greyblade,

How do make the request? For example, do you e-mail Renza ahead of time and let her know that you will be placing an order and would like for it to be bubble wrapped?

Jim
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

With my knives I had trouble with on both the push tabs would not stay flush with the bolster in the open or closed position. Made it easy to come open in your pocket. On one the WD 40 and pushing down on the tab driving the lock pin finally allowed the spring to hold the push tab flush.

On the other no luck. Sent it back. They got it in about 5 weeks. Sent me another. Worked when I first opened it. Then same thing.
E mailed them and said I was sending it back. They said rather than sending it back again that they would give me a discount on my next purchase. I sent the knife to someone to work on and they couldn't keep the tab from wagging either. I never have ordered anything else from them to take advantage of it. I have a non auto Hubie from the knifeshop, and the quality is like 3000% better than the autos, so that's what I will probably buy. I have another Hubie that must be older. It has a saw, best stag of any Hubie I have, and the bolsters are thicker and more rounded than my others. Doesn't fire as hard, but fires real quick and smooth.

Anyway, I'd still buy from KS, I love Hubies, but will probably go with PVK for Hubies and mainly concentrate on more Microtechs :D :D :D :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Linder [Solingen] makes some very nice non-autos equal to Hubertus.
[So similar you wonder if they co-operate on production].
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I know. Linder makes this folding hunter that is on my list. It is like the Lionsteel knife I am getting from Dexter, and the non auto Hubie I have. Main blade, gut blade, saw, and corkscrew I think the other thing is. I think it looks more like a Puma Jaegamesser more than a Hubie, but about one third the price.
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

jim,

What I've done is e-mail Renza at AB/SKM, or Frank Beltrame, or Robert or Martin at The Knifeshop right after I place the order and request the bubble wrap. They always comply, or at least they have so far. No telling what will happen if the price of bubble wrap soars on the European market. :wink:

hollowdweller,

No one should have to work on/repair a new knife. Maybe our European brothers are used to and content with getting lesser quality goods. Maybe they have more time on their hands to futz around with merchandise that they receive in less than pristine condition. :roll: I'm in full agreement with you that the best way to go is with Josh at PVK. I've got my new Paragon X-Olite that he sent me in my pocket right now. It's a good size, weighs very little, is made of quality materials, is assembled to tight tolerances, snaps solid first time/every time, has a nicley ground/polished/sharpened/pointed blade, and makes me proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. (Whew!) I've never ordered from Tiny, but given the high esteem in which he and his service is held by many of the forumites, I'm sure that I will in the future.

Greyblade
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'm tempted to order an American Knife from Europe to see if they are as good as the ones I get here, or does something happen to all knives on the trip across the pond. The one flaw in this plan, is they cost SO MUCH. I can [sometimes] sell American knives for 2/3 what they cost on European sites and make more profit than I usually do.
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

You are too damn right!Those American O.T.F.s are PROBABALY really well made.Hand assembled and hand checked.But when they sell so many,and they are not individualy hand made from scrath to order,why the FUCK do they cost an arm and a Freakin leg for a basic model?There is no way when things in the U.S.A.are so reasonably priced(even with express shipping)that they should cost the price they do!We mugs in Europe are supposed to pay hundreds of pounds for a mass produced item
and all the while there are people slagging off Italian made switches for being inconsistent in quality.I can,and do,buy six or seven damascuss 9" stiletto's for the price of one of these O.T.F.s.I have no doubt to their quality,but I have to take your word for that as no one I know would pay those RIP-OFF prices.We are amongst the highest taxed countries in Europe and even over here I can get a 12" blade Bowie Knife made from a piece of metal by a guy who has made them all his life,like his father and his father before him.One of the original Sheffield family's who sent them to you when your country was begining.Price of such a rare hand made masterpiece,(each and every one individualy made) $200 !Cheers the spotlight kid. :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Sheffield Bowie

Post by Vagrant »

Over here it would probably go for at least twice that, but I have a Benchmade Mel Pardue [ben3200bt] auto for sale at Sundays flea market
at $165. [And I can haggle a little on that price depending on how other things are selling].
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I would just like to commend Tanto on being such a stand-up guy. I received my defective Mikov from knife shop (not to mention the wrong colour of Concord) and essentially, they responded with a sort of "sorry about your luck" attitude. I'm most certainly not running KS down. They have great selection, but it's a shame you don't always get what you wanted. Tanto, as a casual observer to my situation, offered valuable email advice as well as to send me a new spring for the sluggish Mikov. And he's not the vendor! Sort of makes me ashamed that I didn't order from Tanto in the first place. However, I have not given up on Mikovs and will be sure to add many more to my collection in the future. Perhaps I can thank Tanto by purchasing my Mikovs from him. My hat's off to you sir.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

I got the saw version Mikov from David a couple of days ago, and it has the newer style lever. As he'd mentioned, it requires a little farther throw to open the blade, but it's not really a problem at all. Mainly I just think the older lever looked better. With its tapered profile it was uniquely Mikov--this flat piece of steel could have come from anywhere. The main blade has the usual great snap and lock-up we've come to expect of Mikov's, and the saw blade makes it an interesting variant. It's noticably wider and heavier than the standard knives...the SAK versions must be a handful! I seem to remember something about different bolsters being introduced also, but these appear the same as my other Mikovs. I suppose I've gotten old and set in my ways, and I just don't like seeing things I like changed at all. The new lever isn't all that big a deal.
Last edited by Blade Runner on Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Spotlight,

I don't own any OTF's because I have heard most of the European ones aren't that nice, and because the american ones are priced so obscenely. I have heard the discussion on many other lists about why they are so much higher than the side openers, but I have never heard a real good explanation.

Blade Runner,

My Nemo SAK Mikov is a handful. Very heavy but very solidly put together. I have not seen one of Davids in person, but it looks first rate. One feature Nemo put on that is not on the other is a lanyard loop. The SAK Mikov is real big. I have found carrying it on a carabiner hooked to my belt loop is the best way unless I am wearing the fatigue pants or shorts with the big side pockets.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

hollowdweller,
Sounds like the lanyard loop was a good idea then. I've seen pics of several of Nemo's custom Mikovs, and have been thinking about sending him one of mine.