Marlinspike on a switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
R.Neumann

Marlinspike on a switchblade

Post by R.Neumann »

Hi there, I am new to the forum and I have a question for y'all.

I am looking for a side opening switchblade with a 4ish inch blade. My problem is that I need a blade on one side and a marlinspike on the other for rope splicing. I have seen only one of these in my entire life and I have no idea what it was called.
Anyone got any ideas?
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Welcome Mr. R.Neumann
I know nothing about such a blade but I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable members can help you out.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

yes yes ive seen it!

i think MIKOV of czech. makes one.

also with swedesaw,or bottleopener,sometimes screwdrivers.
MIKOV is a leverlock design and would be right at home on a
rolling boat. no oopsie-doopsies in yer pocket.

and welcome welcome to the forum! :D
The first step in avoiding a trap,
is knowing of its existance...................
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Try what distortion said cause the only knife I've seen like you desribe is a sailing knife and I have never seen one in auto. Get in touch with Nemo who is a member and ask him, he is familiar with mikov knives so he would know if it exists.
PB
Oh yeah welcome I just noticed you joined you'll find some of nemo's posts and hit pm which means you send him a private message.
Claudester

Re: Marlinspike on a switchblade

Post by Claudester »

R.Neumann wrote:Hi there, I am new to the forum and I have a question for y'all.

I am looking for a side opening switchblade with a 4ish inch blade. My problem is that I need a blade on one side and a marlinspike on the other for rope splicing. I have seen only one of these in my entire life and I have no idea what it was called.
Anyone got any ideas?
Mr. Neumann,
I never heard the knfe called a marlinspike but it is a rigging knife, Right?
A friend of mine has a sailboat and uses one. Look on ebay and keep looking on ebay and one might pop up, they have quite a few but no autos today. If you saw one once you will eventually see another. I looked at the Mikov sight and didn't see anything there. Its a nice tool your looking for.
Good Luck
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mr. Neumann
http://www.knifeshop.com and others offer a gravity knife with spike. They are often sold as German paratrooper's knives (they're not), and there is the same knife marketed here as a Colt rescue knife. Try http://www.pvk.com
Bill DeShivs
R.Neumann

Post by R.Neumann »

Thank you for the help so far, the Csar is a nice knife and I will look into it.

I also looked at the Mikov site and noticed a dual bladed knife with a saw as the secondary in kit form. I wonder if I want to go through the trouble of fabricating a spike in lieu of that sawblade. Having never assembled a switchblade before I dont know if it would be a good idea.

Anyone know how hard the Mikovs are to assemble?
DISTORTION

marlinspike

Post by DISTORTION »

that sounds like a grand idea!

know that a kit-knife typicaly comes with no scales,
most are pretty simple to assemble,sans the nato type.

you co8uld add the spike and not worry about ruining
some nice horn when recessing the scales.also an oppertunity to
use screws instead of rivets.

plexiglass makes great handle-material and doesnt give off that
burning-flesh smell that natural materials do.

there are tutorials available on-line for assembly if you
get knotted-off.
good luck with that mang.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I love multi blade autos! I for one would love to buy an auto rigging knife, but I have never seen one either :cry:
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Never thought of using plexiglass for scales. It sure would make a cool looking knife and be able to see the working inner mechanism of a push button or lever lock. Food for thought. 8) 8)
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

hollowdweller wrote:I love multi blade autos! I for one would love to buy an auto rigging knife, but I have never seen one either :cry:
Same here, but to stand up to the abuse a marlin spike takes it would have to be a large, heavy, bulky, knife. [If it was "just for show" that would be easier to make].
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

hollowdweller wrote:I love multi blade autos! I for one would love to buy an auto rigging knife, but I have never seen one either :cry:
Lexan would be even better, it's much stronger and less brittle. A sheath would be needed to prevent scratching on either material.