Walt's Classic Frank B 11" knives?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
omega

Re: Walt's Classic Frank B 11" knives?

Post by omega »

Yeah..... I'll believe it when I see them. Been waiting on new Walt's Classics since spring. First we heard May 2017. In May we heard "any day." Now we're hearing that they're in the pipe. Been no new Walt's pieces in quite a while now. Snap 'em up fast - probably be a sellout due to pent-up demand.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

omega wrote:Yeah..... I'll believe it when I see them. Been waiting on new Walt's Classics since spring. First we heard May 2017. In May we heard "any day." Now we're hearing that they're in the pipe. Been no new Walt's pieces in quite a while now. Snap 'em up fast - probably be a sellout due to pent-up demand.
I've been wondering why the Latama site shows only sold out pieces from 2013 (I believe). Has it been 4 years since Walt's Classics were made? The prices seemed kinda' high on those (if they were even actually available). Since I've never been through or seen a run of them, any idea (ball park) of what kind of prices to expect by past runs (sales)?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
omega

Post by omega »

Those 2013's may have been the last batch - I don't know for sure, but it has been a very long while since we've seen any fresh Walt's. I sold a few out of my collection to fund other knife purchases and now wish I hadn't.

I'm guessing the 2017's are going to price $250 USD and up, perhaps WAY UP.

I'm told that the new issue is going to be with those sweet modified half-grind bayo blades. Some in teflon even. All the usual scale variants.
mick17

Post by mick17 »

omega wrote:I'm told that the new issue is going to be with those sweet modified half-grind bayo blades. Some in teflon even. All the usual scale variants.
Walt posted this pic on his site of a bunch of daggers with the message "coming soon". Is this an old photo or did they produce daggers along with bayonets for the new issue?

Also, what are the usual scale variants for Walt's classics?

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

mick17 wrote:
omega wrote:I'm told that the new issue is going to be with those sweet modified half-grind bayo blades. Some in teflon even. All the usual scale variants.
Walt posted this pic on his site of a bunch of daggers with the message "coming soon". Is this an old photo or did they produce daggers along with bayonets for the new issue?

Hi Omega & Pat: This is the response I got from Walt from my writing him April 27th, received May 13th:

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your interest and taking the time to write.

We expect the first delivery of 28 cm (11”) Walt’s CLASSIC soon.
The first batch will sport our “New Dagger” grind.

If this still has some interest please let me know and I will let you know when they arrive.
Better still, visit the bottom of our home page to join our mailing list and you will be notified a lot faster.

Regards,
Walt

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
omega

Post by omega »

JulesVane wrote:
mick17 wrote:

I think the dagger grinds are part of the new issue. I've never seen dagger in prior issues.

Scale variants would be dark horn, brazilian horn (my fav), french point horn, and stag. I haven't heard anything about ram's horn so far.

At this point, I think we're all just guessing on what's to come from Walt/Frank. Every time I rely on production info on anything Frank builds, I get my ass handed to me. Arrival dates being a prime example. Walt Haluchua relies on Frank - and there are always surprises, even for him. That's been the way it is/was for as long as I can remember.

In my former life as a blade merchant, dealing with Frank was always an adventure that went like this:

1) Ask what's available and select from that list.
2) Send Frank ALL YOUR MONEY.
3) Wait forever for whatever the hell Frank wants to ship.
4) Be thankful for what you finally get.

I doubt things have changed much since I got out in 2005, LOL.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

LMAO...I spent quite a while the other night on the Frank Beltrame website (at least, I THINK it was the official site), went to "Products" and saw an 11"/5mm Picklock. I filled out the form to ask how to buy it. I received a nice email the next day from Sara stating "We make the knives, but don't sell them" and kindly directed me to Latama lol. I thought I spent an hour looking at knives for sale lol.

mick17

Post by mick17 »

The daggers have been done before, I'm not sure what Walt meant by "new daggers". Here's one of mine I call Walter Black (like Walter White of Breaking Bad). It's from 2012:

Last edited by mick17 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Geez Pat! That's sweet! Learned something new here. Had no idea they were produced in tactical black like yours. Learning lots today!

omega

Post by omega »

That's a beauty for sure! I love dagger grind!

I *had* the 9" black teflon bayo w/brazilian horn scales that I sold to another member here. I beat myself up regularly for doing that.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

This is the only one I've ever even had the opportunity to buy. It's the 11" #289 from 2013. The things with this piece are that I read somewhere that the blades were never sharpened. This is very sharp. Notice the lack of the tiny "W" in the Cat Logo. I was told by the seller, that this piece was from the first production run.

ImageIMG_5717 by Christopher Brady, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5718 by Christopher Brady, on Flickr

ImageFullSizeRender (2) by Christopher Brady, on Flickr

omega

Post by omega »

Uh....... that's a fake Walt's Classic.

Better send it to me for close inspection. :mrgreen:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I sharpened some for Walt.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Thanks I'm glad you like it Chris, and you as well Chris (you both have the same name).

I like the dagger blade on that one as well. I'm not usually a fan of dagger blades on the classic stiletto style, but I think it looks cool with the black teflon. Blade is unsharpened.

Chris that's a sweet one you have too, and it gets extra points for being from the first production run!
Last edited by mick17 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

this is a strange story for ya all , all the 11" 5mm 2013 run walts i received direct from Frank were sharpened so there are around 60 out there that were for sure sharpened by Frank personally, when i questioned walter about it he told me all the ones he received were NOT sharpened but ones i received were sharpened for some reason , i was only seller who received them sharpened and for some odd reason Frank sent my order direct to me not to walt first . i can look in my records and see if the #289 is one of the ones i received, it looks familiar but ive seen lots of them :)