The Infamous Black Beauty

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Flicknifer

Re: The Infamous Black Beauty

Post by Flicknifer »

I think it's really interesting that even the non-autos had picklock releases. When did the back spring releases come into popularity with manual knives?

I remember, as a kid in the mid 60's buying a fake switch (non functioning button) from the Westbury sales company in the back of Popular Mechanics magazine. That knife (stolen by a bully) had a back spring release (like modern swing guards).
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have lots of Westbury Sales stuff.....The lock back release stilettos were mostly from the 60s on...Never remember Westbury Sales having the fake button ones....Valor was a big importer of those...

An old ads:

http://books.google.com/books?id=B-IDAA ... &q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=9uu89x ... &q&f=false
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Tom19176 wrote:I have lots of Westbury Sales stuff.....The lock back release stilettos were mostly from the 60s on...Never remember Westbury Sales having the fake button ones....Valor was a big importer of those...

An old ads:

http://books.google.com/books?id=B-IDAA ... &q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=9uu89x ... &q&f=false
Man does THAT bring back memories. I think I ordered all of those manual stilettos when I was kids just so I could pull the knife out half way and flick it open the rest of the way.
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

@ Bill DeShivs, a friend of my fathers responded to a black beauty ad and got an 8 or 9 inch Mauro Mario, He's long past away but I'm going to try to contact his son and see if he still has it. Jim
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Redeye,

Thanks for posting those pics. Especially thanks for taking them in the first place.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jim- that's good info!
Thanks.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Flicknifer wrote:
Belmont800 wrote:You can also pick-up a few copies of "Argosy" and a few other "men's" magazines and find the original add if you are so inclined -- you should be able to find a copy for 15 bucks or so. My stamped Black Beauty isn't even really 'Black" the handles have aged to be lighter with the years.
So you actually have one? Can you post a pic? I would love to see it.
Sure. I will post a pic of mine this evening...

Dan
Belmont800
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

Bill, I contacted my friend about the Black Beauty/Mauro Mario and he told me it was stolen a few years ago, he thinks one of his sons' friends took it. Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Figures.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

switchman1 wrote:Bill, I contacted my friend about the Black Beauty/Mauro Mario and he told me it was stolen a few years ago, he thinks one of his sons' friends took it. Jim
To think some punk kid that has no idea what he has is out there carelessly "flicking" a treasure like that really burns me up!
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

Viking45 wrote:
switchman1 wrote:Bill, I contacted my friend about the Black Beauty/Mauro Mario and he told me it was stolen a few years ago, he thinks one of his sons' friends took it. Jim
To think some punk kid that has no idea what he has is out there carelessly "flicking" a treasure like that really burns me up!
Or even worse throwing it at a tree trying to make it stick in! :x :o
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Sickening, but unfortunately, many collectibles get trashed by people who don't know, or don't care, what they have. :evil:
redeye

Post by redeye »

Panzerfaust wrote:Sickening, but unfortunately, many collectibles get trashed by people who don't know, or don't care, what they have. :evil:

my last ex wife hated my knives {or maybe it was me she hated } that she said if I died she was gonna take all my knives to the dump she wouldnt even sell them just so nobdy else would get them and enjoy them whatta bitch huh?
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

I`m takin mine rite through the Pearly Gates . :D
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

There is zero evidence that these were made by Mauro Mario. It’s like one person said that and then it got repeated over and over.

There were several companies selling stilettos via mail order in the old men’s magazines. If someone got a Mairo Mario in the mail- it’s certainlly possible they didn’t order their knife from Florida Imports. They could have ordered from any of these companies.

I have some old paperwork that could show the Black Beautys were not made by Mauro Mario but another maker.

People who don’t have a lot of knowledge in this hobby just say Mario Mario when they dont really know who made a certain knife.
Last edited by orangeboy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD