The Infamous Black Beauty

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Flicknifer

The Infamous Black Beauty

Post by Flicknifer »

You see the old ads but who actually made the Black Beauty? Was it just a generic term for any black stiletto made in the 50's or was it a specific brand? I know they were all picklocks back then.

Who can tell me the real history of this classic knife?

Thanks guys, I'm new here and an avid switch-fan!
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
Monkeyleg

Re: The Infamous Black Beauty

Post by Monkeyleg »

I thought Black Beauty was a horse.

Sorry. Bad sense of humor. I'm new here, too, so I'll be anxious to hear the answer.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Apparently, most Black Beautys were not marked as such. Examples of the marking are rare, but there are autos and later lockbacks with the marking.
I believe most were Mauro Mario manufacture.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Agree with Bill, and wanted to added if you run a search on this site you will find examlpes of the ads and a few marked that way......
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

You can also pick-up a few copies of "Argosy" and a few other "men's" magazines and find the original add if you are so inclined -- you should be able to find a copy for 15 bucks or so. My stamped Black Beauty isn't even really 'Black" the handles have aged to be lighter with the years.
Belmont800
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Apparently, most Black Beautys were not marked as such. Examples of the marking are rare, but there are autos and later lockbacks with the marking.
I believe most were Mauro Mario manufacture.
Were they marked Mauro Mario, or did many just have the Made in Italy stamp?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

From what I have gathered, most were marked "Made in Italy."
Maybe someone else will remember if any M.M.s came in the mail from the ads.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

The closest I have ever come to a Black Beauty is the refrigerator magnet I got from Bernie :lol:

Seems like Redeye found a stiletto a while back with the Black Beauty stamp. :?:
Can't recall if it was an auto or non-auto but super cool anyway you look at it.
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

I almost got one at the Blade Show in around 1998 from a fella named the Master but I thought 600 dollars was too much to pay. What a dope! lol Jim
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

switchman1 wrote:I almost got one at the Blade Show in around 1998 from a fella named the Master but I thought 600 dollars was too much to pay. What a dope! lol Jim
I know what you mean- I wanted to buy a H&K model 91 back in the mid 80's but I thought 500 dollars was too much :roll:

Right now my hopes of ever finding a Black Beauty are non-existent.
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Belmont800 wrote:You can also pick-up a few copies of "Argosy" and a few other "men's" magazines and find the original add if you are so inclined -- you should be able to find a copy for 15 bucks or so. My stamped Black Beauty isn't even really 'Black" the handles have aged to be lighter with the years.
So you actually have one? Can you post a pic? I would love to see it.
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
redeye

Post by redeye »

heres some pics of a group of BLACK BEAUTIES that were all in the same room at the GATORSHOW earlier this year.3 of these are mine and the others belong to a couple of friends I have since added an 8 in manual to my collection

I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Absolutely beautiful!!!
redeye

Post by redeye »

there are only approx 24-26 examples of the BLACK BEAUTY stamp known to exist now and I own 4 of them I know of maybe 2 others that have 4 each and the rest are one at a time here and there I live within 45 miles of where they were sold from in florida ansd the old theathre building is still there to this day
redeye

Post by redeye »

this pic is prolly the biggest grouping that has been photographed together since they were new and I doubt even then as noone was taking pics of knives then