I have a question about converting knives.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thegreatone

I have a question about converting knives.

Post by thegreatone »

I want to try and convert a knive into an auto. I am looking for some infomation first. I am a newbie so of course I am going to try it on a cheap knife. I like those kissing krane stilettos and if I really screw it up I am only out 20 bucks or so. Does anyone know where I can find some step by step instruction on the net? or a book I could get? Any help is appreicated. Thanks

Also thanks to all of you who responded to my other post!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Finally Mr Gleason you have posted.
Seriously the project your conteplating is quite a pain in the ass. You take it apart you drill and bore and channel. Then you have the spring to figure. The KC's have a clip point blade with a nail nick on and on. The ones that pop up every so often are converted from old stock Italian silver plugs but they are a pain in the ass to. Try the link, if anyone can help you that man can and I got a feeling he will tell you the same thing.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Knife101/start

PB
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

First you should promise the Stiletto a meal, like, Free Lunch At End Of Service.

Then everybody has to sit quietly for the message, usually about how Auto Knives can save you and what heavenly devices they are, and how the Debbil wants to take away those autos and put them in knife Hell.

Once you've scared the dickens out of the knife, you invite it to come on down and get on its bolsters and offer itself up to conversion.

Then everybody gets a free lunch and a book to take home.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

If your so set on building your knife why not check SKM up in the right hand corner under BladeAlliance. They have a build it yourself kit. I'm sure it'll be alot less trouble than starting from scratch.

SD
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I doubt this is worth the effort. There is probably not really room to install the spring in the manual knives since the blade fits very close to the backspring. No-one makes the parts for the conversion so you would have to make your own. [A milling machine is highly recomended for this, but hours and hours of filing would work]. It would certainly be faster, and cheaper to buy one. If you just HAVE to do this it would be faster to buy a "Milano" [Chinese clone] disassemble it, copy it, and make your own from scratch. [From better materials. Another choice would be to buy a Boker Toplock and then buy the spring and blade to convert it to a Speedlock. [I've been told some Toplocks may require one milling cut to seat the spring but I haven't seen one that did].
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Klaas stilettos are made by one of the Italian switchblade makers. Some parts are interchangeable. I have done a few, using the Kissing Cranes shield as the button. This conversion is not an easy one, plus it takes two knives to make one.
Bill DeShivs
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Stone Knife wrote:First you should promise the Stiletto a meal, like, Free Lunch At End Of Service.

Then everybody has to sit quietly for the message, usually about how Auto Knives can save you and what heavenly devices they are, and how the Debbil wants to take away those autos and put them in knife Hell.

Once you've scared the dickens out of the knife, you invite it to come on down and get on its bolsters and offer itself up to conversion.

LOL! So it's really a spiritual, not a mechanical thing, huh? :lol:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
thegreatone

Post by thegreatone »

Ok I guess I won't try it. I didn't think it would be so difficult. Thanks though.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Mr. Gleason,

In the event that you are not old enough to understand the reference, let us know (PB and I ARE old enough). You may wish to consider the advice of Stepdaddy and Vagrant. That way, you could either assemble one, or convert a relatively easy one. I have a few Toplock conversions (which were done by someone else), and they are quite nice.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Stone Knife wrote:First you should promise the Stiletto a meal, like, Free Lunch At End Of Service.

Wouldn't it be easier to pour some Sambuca into it and the "take advantage of it" when it's guard was down?
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Em-xactly, Vagrant, my man. There are more than one way to convert the in-no-sent! The spiritual is a good path for many, but not all candidates. If you can't get 'em with the apple, then try the pitchfork! :twisted:
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Instead of converting a non auto to an auto, why not just buy a Mikov kit and build your own. Very therapeutic and self rewarding to see something you love being born from almost scratch.:D :D :D
Our fellow forumite, Nemo, has some on his site. Check them out.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
thegreatone

Post by thegreatone »

do you have the web address?
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Sure, [url]www.nemoknives.com[url], and he also does great custom work.
Last edited by Razor_54 on Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
thegreatone

Post by thegreatone »

Thanks I"ll check it out