How old is this knife?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Welcome to the forum... I dont know, but somebody here will get it pretty close I bet. If I had to guess I would say late 50s.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

1957-1964.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill is almost always right. I saw a whole shelf full in the supply room at Ft.Polk in 1970 and the supply sergant said they still made them [but he may have meant he could still get them].
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife pictured is a Schrade-Walden. Camillus and Logan Smyth made later versions.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Like I said you're almost always right, and probably this is no exception.
The ones I saw a Ft.Polk were still in the Army packaging but came from
at least two suppliers. NO CHANCE my memory is good enough to remember which two. Also I'm sure if any [old] Schrade were still "in the system" anywhere on the planet this supply sergant could get them, he could get anything. Coleman multi-fuel lanterns? no problem, .22 Hornet survival rifle? no problem, but it has to be issued to a pilot, I thought only the Air Force had these. This was one of the few items he couldn't get me [a civilian]. This guy was amazing.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I got a question too... what should you expect to pay for that knife?
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Bill
I was going to say even possibley newer. I thought I remembered a few years back on TSF about a big sceme with these knives with the orange handle Camilius or Logan had made some that never went to market or Logan put them on market and there were some subtle diff in them but they were selling as end of WWII. Hell right now my brain is about as tight as a broken bar stool so maybe you remember or maybe I'm crazy.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i remember one member here who had me post pics of theirs (sam hotton), it was the camillus model, and he said he was issued it as a pilot in the early 70's..

mr deshivs, what is the difference between the earlier schrade model and the camillus?
missaman

Post by missaman »

Having worked at one time for a defence contractor these knives would have been "mil spec" manufactured to a military specification, and therefore identical, except for the tang stamp origin of manufacture.
I have all three and they appear to be identical, the spring on the Logan Smyth is weaker than the other two, but it could be just the one i have is weak.
Missaman
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The bevel on the shroud cutter is reversed on the Schrade. Schrade has nickel silver button/safety, and different composition scales. The others have brass button/safety. The Logan is crudely finished.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

BennytheBlade wrote:I got a question too... what should you expect to pay for that knife?
I think it's a $25 knife [at best] but they seem to get $80+ lately on some auctions I've seen. [If they were serious tools instead of an officers toy the Shroud line cutter would be the one to open by the spring]. Everyone should have one, just to know how bad they are [in my opinion], but it shouldn't be your top priority.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Vagrant,

Thanks for the tip, I was considering gettting one, but based on your input they have been moved down on the priority list.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If I find mine I'll see who made it. But I won't make a special search for it since in my opinion it's about "clone level" quality with a [much] slower snap. [maybe others think the same since I've seen quite a few with broken springs from people trying to bend them to make them faster. I'd like to say "if it was the only switch I'd stick with a fixed blade" but at one time it WAS my only switch. [Come to think of it I usually did carry a fixed blade in those days].
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

The great one,
Please check my posting "Floppy Orange Handled Contraptions" 8 July Switchblade Forums. Please read and view my postings and photos in the Blade Pictures forum of 10 July "Sam Hottons mint Camillus Paratrooper". I think both columns will help answer your questions. I also know these knives were issued until the 1980's, I carried mine until the 1990's when I retired. As for monetary value, perhaps as a collectable, some value. As a shroud line cutter, much value, it works. As a knife, very little value. As a weapon, zero value. As a switchblade, loads of laughs. I don't think that they are particularly rare, as all my flying buds had them and I think still have them. We only keep them for the memories they hold for a very exciting and controversial time in our lives.
Regards,
Sam Hotton