Lube-the forgotten secret!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mors Profundis

Lube-the forgotten secret!

Post by Mors Profundis »

Automatic knives need to be well lubed(like I had to tell you this?), but oil accumulates lint and other less lovable mung, often jamming your knife tighter than a..... well, real tight.
Of course, one always opens and closes ones blade before swinging it aboard for a foray, but how to keep it nice and slick?
Dri-Slide!
They sell it at bike shops for control cables-it's molydenum disulphide dust in a petroleum distillate carrier.
Just squirt some on, let the carrier evaporate, and you got slickness in plenty.
Excess can be wiped off with a rag or paper towel.
It will not hold dust or lint, lasts a very long time, and requires few reapplications.
It's neat stuff-keep it away from plastic parts(it comes with a nice hypodemic nurdle to apply it with) and remember to shake the can before you use it.
It'll replace 3-in-one for a lot of household jobs,too.
With Dri-Slide and WD-40, I've saved many an old switch from being cast aside.
Try it, you'll like it!
Life has no value, but death has it's price
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Mors,

Thanks for the tip

Jim
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

That's what the prostitute said to the leper!
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Heya Mors,
I like the idea of a dry lube but the anti-plastic warning is a bit of a concern. Some of my inexpesive toys seem to have plastic, or synthetic material, washers. Will this stuff eat em up?
RatUnit1
sheep-free since '93'...
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I prefer graphite as a lube, does a great job on anything.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Graphite is great stuff, but this will persist much longer.
As for eating plastic, it's no more than lighter fluid or whetstone oil(that's petroleum distillate) and is safe for anything that can stand those things.
It never hurt any scales or washers in my knives-who uses plastic that fragile in knives, anyway?
I've used graphite, I might add, and had good results.
I was told by a bike guy that Dri-Slide is safe for anything you can use WD-40 on, as the carrier is pretty much the same as that wonderful compound.
Lube is the secret of keeping any folding knife working well-there used to be a Sheffield knife manufacturer who tamped "Oil the Joint" on the knives themselves.
My wife has a pearlex out-the front she likes a lot, and when it stopped working, she was very blue.
A little Dri-Slide, and her tears turned to smiles of joy.
Then she said,"Now sharpen it, you lazy schmuck, and get started on your dusting!"
Life is hard, then you die, then they throw dirt on you and the worms eat you.
A few years with my wife, and you look forward to it!
omega

Post by omega »

ratstuph wrote:Heya Mors,
I like the idea of a dry lube but the anti-plastic warning is a bit of a concern. Some of my inexpesive toys seem to have plastic, or synthetic material, washers. Will this stuff eat em up?
RatUnit1
Hi Rat: I've also like Miletec-1 Weapons Grade Lube - available at better shooting stores. Benchmade swears by it. A one ounce bottle is about $6

Checkout the maker's site for more info on this product.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

WD 40 is good for something, anyway: Leaving behind gummy silicone buildup!

Try Break-Free instead! It's MT recommended.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

omega wrote:
ratstuph wrote:Heya Mors,
RatUnit1
Hi Rat: I've also like Miletec-1 Weapons Grade Lube - available at better shooting stores. Benchmade swears by it. A one ounce bottle is about $6

Checkout the maker's site for more info on this product.
All I use is militec
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"A few years with my wife, and you look forward to it!"

I told my ex that the only difference between 20 years of marriage and 20 years in prison was you'd have more sex in prison [might not like it but you'd still have more].
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

It never hurt any scales or washers in my knives-who uses plastic that fragile in knives, anyway?
our host skm, and all the other stiletto makers!

i use militec too.... :wink:
johnny blade

Post by johnny blade »

Started using a product called TKX after hearing it was used by Microtech at one time. It's safe for use on plastic ect. smells great , nice & light weight , & cheap. works great! IMHO
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Well hell call me old fashioned but WD-40 and either Marvel Mystery Oil or 3 in 1 has been working for me for almost 40 years now long before they had all the fancy dry lubes and silicone lubes etc. As far as Italians I know a big league collector that advocates using nothing on them. But the thing I like best about them is you can buy them in just about any store while the others get shipped to you unless your lucky and live near a place that sells them. Hey maybe if I tried one I would like it to but for now I'm content.
PB
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

I generally don't use anything,but in stuborn cases,3 in 1 oil is good enough for me.Then, I only collect Italian Switches anyway,and find they don't need all this farting about with!All this Lubing is like some anoraks fetish to me.If it needs that much attention,it is either extremely old and collectable or a cheap arse new piece of shit! :roll: Always here to help! :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have used WD 40 for many years and never had it gum anything up, or rust anything. That said, I use Breakfreeand Militec. Sometimes I use automotive grease.
Bill