Rizzuto bidding frenzy

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Rizzuto bidding frenzy

Post by Panzerfaust »

BTB0923

Re: Rizzuto bidding frenzy

Post by BTB0923 »

I'm suprised that auction hasn't been taken down yet. They usually don't last nearly that long.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

:shock:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Thomas Tusser was CORRECT, "A fool and his money ------------:" :wink:
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Can't believe the price it has reached. :o
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Rizzutos are very desireable to a lot of people. Do I think they're worth the money people are spending on them?....no. Am I suprised they're willing to spend it?....no. Until somebody decides to start manufacturing knives in this style again, I think we're going to continue seeing Rizzutos go for a lot of money.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

What surprises me most is the recent change in selling prices compared to other switchblades. Prices for vintage Italian switchblades have dropped considerably over the past several years. Prices for vintage German switchblades have been roughly steady or dropped slightly over the past several years (I believe they were undervalued several years ago which is why they didn't drop more). Some people believe these changes in prices are due largely to the recession. The prices for Rizzutos have increased dramatically over the last several years. This different trend in market valuation compared to other out of production switchblades is what baffles some of us.

Jim
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Totally agree Jim. That was my basic point of the thread I started on this topic. My first switch was a Japan Rizzy, and I loved it. The Korean ones were so poorly made that I never wanted to keep one in a collection. I know people collect match book covers for lots of money, so yes quality is not always what counts, but to most collectors of knives, there is some consideration given to quality. It is hard for me to understand the present situation where my friend recently came accross a near perfect 13" picklock that most here said is only worth $400 at most, BUT these Korean tin metal knives are getting $300....
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

give it a few more months and the bidding wars will slack off.
tax-return season is big for the auction sites :idea:
but then again, Brendan is right, Rizzies take the cake when it comes to "special" switchblade interests. I myself am into Italians more, but I can deeply appreciate AMAZING collections like BTB's.
I think its pretty cool to see such pieces reach that type of bounty!
I for one have been minimizing my collection, for the past year to afford some pretty specific pieces.
I started with about 20 autos in 2010, and now am at about 11. (two more to rid from the collection and three more to purchase!) Hopefully I find what I'm looking for before they appear on Sharperdeals for what these Rizzies are going for... SHEESH!
"Everyone is your neighbor."
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

jim d, wrote:What surprises me most is the recent change in selling prices compared to other switchblades. Prices for vintage Italian switchblades have dropped considerably over the past several years. Prices for vintage German switchblades have been roughly steady or dropped slightly over the past several years (I believe they were undervalued several years ago which is why they didn't drop more). Some people believe these changes in prices are due largely to the recession. The prices for Rizzutos have increased dramatically over the last several years. This different trend in market valuation compared to other out of production switchblades is what baffles some of us.
I think it's at least partially because Italy is still producing modern "Italian-styled" knives. I know collectors realize that the value of a vintage knife is justified, but a non-collector can get the same exact style of knife (only made more recently) for much cheaper. This is not the case for Rizzutos. If someone wants a switchblade that looks like a Rizzuto, they have to fight over a vintage one, because they aren't currently being produced. That's why I believe that until someone begins manufacturing Rizzuto-styled knives again like the Korean clones (or something much more robust like I'd prefer) then the prices for Rizzutos are going to continue to be high. As for the recent spike in prices...I can't really explain that. I can tell you that my Rizzuto collection video on youtube has been getting more and more views every week, just like the rising prices.

I know many folks on this forum think that Rizzutos are being bought up by people that had them when they were kids and want them for nostalgic reasons. I think that's true, but I also think there's a much larger demographic of younger people that want them as well. Rizzutos aren't necessarily being bought by avid switchblade collectors either (as is made painfully obvious by many of the posts about crappy Rizzuto quality on this forum :P ). They're being bought by novice collectors that are still intrigued by the taboo nature of switchblades. Because of the portrayal of switchblades in all the movies and tv throughout the years, these people have a picture in their head of what the most infamous kind of switchblade is supposed to look like, and I think that many of them picture a Rizzuto...so that's the kind of switchblade they want to buy.

I remember roughly 15 years ago when I wanted to get my first switchblade, I was under the impression that all switchblades were IMPOSSIBLE to find. So when one of my friends pulled out an Italian-style switch I had to have it, but I remember being a little dissapointed that the scales stuck out so much further than the bolsters. It just wasn't how I pictured the switchblade that I really wanted. The picture I had in my head was a knife with black scales that were flush with the bolsters, and flat swinging guards...a Rizzuto.

(sorry for the long read :) )
Last edited by BTB0923 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
missaman

Post by missaman »

It is intresting to see what people deem valueable I collect mostly american antique switchblades. I paid 200 + for a very hard to find scale color. Plus the knife was in mint condition. These hammerbrand knives sold for a buck or so in the 50's. My avatar set me back 600. LOL Much like the bidders i suspect, hammerbrand was my first switchblade. a rizzy was theirs.
Missa
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

missaman wrote:Much like the bidders i suspect, hammerbrand was my first switchblade. a rizzy was theirs.
Like I said in my previous post...I know many assume this, but I don't think it's necessarily true. Because of their frequent portrayal in movies and television, Rizzutos also appeal to a much larger and younger demographic.

(I think the $600 was money well spent btw. That "one-armed man's" switch is beautiful :) )
X-Punk

Post by X-Punk »

BTB0923 wrote: The picture I had in my head was a knife with black scales that were flush with the bolsters, and flat swinging guards...a Rizzuto.
X2. Precisely why I have a Rizzy and 2 Korean clones, to me they generically represent a "switchblade". I was lucky enough to get a gorgeous AKC 9"er in blackhorn, with very little white through the scales but it was hard to find. For some reason the new Italian swingers don't come in solid black, can't for the life of me figure out why. I know they've had them in black micarta but when I see them in blue, red and green I don't understand why they couldn't do a run of black acrylic. One would definitely be in my collection, the scales on the last two 11"ers I bought in "dark horn" were almost completely white. I would also love to see the "Rizzy" style brought back to life, only much higher quality, IMHO they'd fly off the shelves 8)
"Never trust a hippie"- the Sex Pistols
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I am guilty of joking about Rizzy quality but I really do not dislike them.
The Rizzuto Estileto was my first switch. My dad took me to Mexico in 1974 and we bought two black ones and white one.
I have long since lost mine and would like to have another some day.

For me the only reason for liking the Rizz is the fact it is sentimental and it is a pretty cool knife.

For the cost of some of these Rizzy's being sold lately a person could buy a Hubie and a Mikov or a nice high quality modern knife like a Microtech,Protech,Al Mar etc etc.
But it just boils down to what a guy wants.

I would most definitely reconsider my point of view if I ever came across a good deal on a Rizzy or two. It would be a money op or some good trading material.

Long live the Rizz :!:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Panzerfaust wrote:Check this out. This is insane! :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
Mr. Panzer,

Actually, I'm more surprised at the price versus the POS below grade condition of this Rizzy. I sold one for almost the same price for a mint condition Rizzy some years ago on BA, but $200+ for that? Geesh, I need to find out who that buyer is, I have some embarrassing junk to unload...

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson