Is this an auto?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

Is this an auto?

Post by missaman »

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BERETTA-ITA ... 35b0a425d7

Never seen one like this before
Missa
Viking45

Re: Is this an auto?

Post by Viking45 »

I scrolled down to the description and found this write-up-
(he misspelled bear head) :lol:

Pretty darn cool old knife 8)

UNIQUE LARGE SINGLE BLADE LOCKBACK BAREHEAD FOLDING HUNTER, BOWIE CLASP JACK KNIFE WITH UNUSUAL LEVER DESIGN LOCK RELEASE. THIS LEVER IS FOR THE RELEASE OF THE LOCK WHEN OPEN ONLY. IT NEVER HAS AND CANNOT BE USED TO OPEN THE KNIFE.

He also has this one for sale-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0595831092
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

Viking45 wrote:I scrolled down to the description and found this write-up-
(he misspelled bear head) :lol:

Pretty darn cool old knife 8)

UNIQUE LARGE SINGLE BLADE LOCKBACK BAREHEAD FOLDING HUNTER, BOWIE CLASP JACK KNIFE WITH UNUSUAL LEVER DESIGN LOCK RELEASE. THIS LEVER IS FOR THE RELEASE OF THE LOCK WHEN OPEN ONLY. IT NEVER HAS AND CANNOT BE USED TO OPEN THE KNIFE.

He also has this one for sale-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0595831092
Viking I noticed that there is no nail nick on the blade. Do you think it might be a swivel bolster release auto?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

jmack1944 wrote:Viking I noticed that there is no nail nick on the blade. Do you think it might be a swivel bolster release auto?
Anything is possible. I see the contour of the handle curves down enough to get a grip on the blade but then again it has a "dagger" like look to it so it may be a coincidence.

It would be pretty darn cool if it had some kind of hidden release the seller never knew about.

I may watch it and see what the bids are (only if Missa doesn't mind) He saw it first 8)
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

I've seen a few autos on ebay lately. They got pulled before I could get to them. Couple I saw and the seller mentioned " nice snap ". To me that would indicate auto. I bid on a vintage lever but it got pulled.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Is this an auto?
NO :idea:
missaman

Post by missaman »

I was poking around and found it. Up for grabs to any member here. I caught the nice snap and noticed no nail knick as well. made me wonder
Missa
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I had one. It's a peculiar sort of gravity knife, the lever releases the blade so you can snap it open with a flick of the wrist.

I doubt you could break it with a sledge hammer, weighs a ton, and if you fell in the water with it, it might drag you to your death. Heavy, very heavy.

The blade is quite thick, but so wide it takes a frightful edge.

Somebody stole mine. I hope they take it fishing. And drown.

It's also thick as Hell. Definately a folding sheath knife, not for the pocket.

I bought mine in the 80's at a gun show, when it was just on the market a few months.

This help?
Life has no value, Death has a price
redeye

Post by redeye »

The seller "DOODLEFRODLE" is a standup guy.he sells a ton of knives on the bay and his name is Doug .He stands behind what he sells too as his feedback shows,I have bought several knives from him .He was the seller of the last BLACK BEAUTY that sold on ebay tooit was a manual one but still a BB .I highly reccomend this guy .I dont know him face to face but have emailed a few times and he knows a good bit about knives .
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I forgot to mention that it was sold by Beretta, and the very substantial sheath carried the Beretta logo. I doubt they actually made it, but it was part of the Beretta line of products.

It's a brute of a thing, massive and like I said, very,very heavy. It worked very well.

I've also seen a stag scaled, lever lock shell puller that worked the same way, that was a much less weighty knife, and quite old, a friend of mine got it in a mixed batch of odds and ends at an auction, he was in the antiques trade. I think it was Italian, but it might have been German, hard to tell. It had a drop point and as I recall, the mountings were brass. Handsome thing, I imagine it was fairly pricey when it was new.
Life has no value, Death has a price