New (high class) Forgeries?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dark2023

New (high class) Forgeries?

Post by dark2023 »

Can anyone find anyway to possitivly identify the fake from the real.

Fake

Real

As far as I can tell. There is NO DISTINGUISHABLE DIFFERENCE.
How is one supposed to know if they are buying a real or forged microtech knife?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
turbo_dog

Re: New (high class) Forgeries?

Post by turbo_dog »

Honestly, I don't know enough about Microtechs to be of much help. One some forgeries, all of the serial numbers and born-on dates are the same on every knife. But it would be a matter of knowing what the bogus numbers were in order to know if the knife in question was from that batch. I imagine serious Microtech collectors would have other ways of knowing. Obviously, if the price was suspiciously low, that would be a tip-off.

On the knives you showed, the printing on the pocket clips is completely different. But I don't know how much Microtech changes things from one run to the next.

Once you get the knife in hand, you should be able to tell if it's real. But by then, it's too late.

My solution is to buy only from authorized dealers, or from trusted individuals.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Obviously, if the price was suspiciously low, that would be a tip-off.
Well that's mainly how I know the fake ones are fakes. But, what if someone else bought some and then resold them at actual microtech value.
On the knives you showed, the printing on the pocket clips is completely different. But I don't know how much Microtech changes things from one run to the next.
I noticed that too, and the glass breakers are bit different, but I think microtech might've actually used the simple sharp point style at a time, so that's not a determining factor.
Once you get the knife in hand, you should be able to tell if it's real. But by then, it's too late.
Yeah, the fake probably wont work as well and might be lighter. But, once you have it it dosent really matter. Also, if you've never had a real microtech, it makes it much harder to know real from fake (you cant judge a diamond if you've never seen one)
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

New? Not really...those counterfeits have been around for almost a year. Holding one in hand is one way you can tell the difference. There are other ways too (visual ways), but I'm not a big Microtech fan so I don't know them. There are people on other forums who know how to spot them.

Here is a site with a bunch of these "high class" forgeries...

http://www.knife911.com/microtech-knive ... ac4n2if0c6

also, here is a thread dedicated to spotting them (if I'm breaking the rules by linking another forum let me know and I will delete it)...

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showt ... ting+fakes
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

there was actually quite a stir about these in the past.
http://talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ounterfeit
the page started with another thread that had pics of the knives now sold through the site that BTB referenced.
"Everyone is your neighbor."
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Actually the fake is heavier.
h1942

Post by h1942 »

Look at the price.Anyone with a brain would know Microtech otf's don/t cost 65.00 DUH
monstro

Post by monstro »

On the fake, the grind lines near the tang aren't as deep.
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

BTB0923 wrote:Here is a site with a bunch of these "high class" forgeries...

Those are FACK!

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

sicboy13 wrote:

Those are FACK!
Is that our old friend Sicboy? :)
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

jmack1944 wrote:
sicboy13 wrote:

Those are FACK!
Is that our old friend Sicboy? :)
Yessireebob :), heck, I even posted a pic over in the Mug thread of me with 2 Rizzuto's that the post orafice didn't lose :lol: :lol:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
Jody

Post by Jody »

I carried these (and still have just a few) on my site. I do not represent them as a microtech, nor do I show the logo on the pocket clip in the pic. I do not want anyone to ever mistake that I am selling it as anything but a brand X OTF.

When I orig got these I didn't know they even had that logo on them until they arrived.

I can tell you a buyer took one apart and said the metal 'catch' that stops the blade when it comes out, is made out of aluminum or some soft metal in the fake knives. Microtech real version is made out of steel (or some hard metal)

They are a good knife for the price, but they don't hold a candle to a micro tech.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

My only input would be the blade steel. MT uses only top-notch steels.
I have not seen any of the fakes not do I own an OTF MT but my side-kickers all have primo steel.

One would be best to have one of each to compare.
Jody

Post by Jody »

I agree, best to compare side by side. The guy I mentioned who took one apart had seen the inside of a real MT before and explained to me about the diff on the metal they use for the catch.

He did like the knock off though, actually bought a second one. They're not bad at all for the price, but people who sell any type of clone and do not make the fact that's it's 'inspired by' not an actual brand, is a crook!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I think some mentioned the sheath with the fake was not up to standard.
I don't use sheaths but I must admit MT's sheaths are superb.