My new Knives (and other things I got in the mail)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BTB0923

Re: My new Knives (and other things I got in the mail)

Post by BTB0923 »

FreeTheArmy wrote:unless i'm mistaken, you may have a clone of a scarab clone or rather a newer version. are the screws and switch/button silver or black? the ones with the silver button are lighter and you can feel the spring vibrate upon opening and closing. i've never owned one or taken one apart, but i have messed with one at a gun show. the one with the black button and MT style fasteners doesn't feel all that different from a scarab... well, i mean, as a [clone] of something as well built as a scarab, the black-button clone is impressive --way better than the lightnings, imo. (i'll put it that way, because nothing really compares to a microtech --love'em or hate'em, they're a well built knife!)
It has a silver button and screws. I can post some pics later if you'd like to see it. One thing that's worth mentioning is that when I first got it the action was so tight that it took two hands to pull the button back and get the blade to retract. I had to remove one of the springs from the mechanism to get it to work comfortably. The action is now comparable to a Lightning...maybe a bit "smoother". You can't feel the spring vibrate when you open and close it though.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

anyone looking for the silver button scarab-clones, check this out :shock: :
http://www.kaswords.com/automatic-titan ... knife.aspx
(hope this doesn't rob anyone of having a secret source for clones :wink: )
"Everyone is your neighbor."
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

It has a silver button and screws. I can post some pics later if you'd like to see it. One thing that's worth mentioning is that when I first got it the action was so tight that it took two hands to pull the button back and get the blade to retract. I had to remove one of the springs from the mechanism to get it to work comfortably. The action is now comparable to a Lightning...maybe a bit "smoother". You can't feel the spring vibrate when you open and close it though.
Mines, the black button air-born thrasher black button, tri-bit screw. When it fires you can hear the spring make a slightly twangy noise. This IS normal, right?

(also, the newer thrashers have philips head screws)
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

FreeTheArmy wrote:anyone looking for the silver button scarab-clones, check this out :shock: :
Great link! That's the one I have. I paid a little more for it than what listed there, but not much. That's probably more along the lines of what it's actually worth though.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

dark2023 wrote:
Mines, the black button air-born thrasher black button, tri-bit screw. When it fires you can hear the spring make a slightly twangy noise. This IS normal, right?
normal? well, (from my belly to my ears) i don't here anything but metal on metal when the blade smacks open and close. (these lock up extremely well, btw, in case anyone wondered.)
however, when i draw the knife close to my head, i do hear it.
sorry, i wasn't trying to misinform or anything... i've never held a switchblade that close to my face, before.
so, the question about normal... perhaps.
BTB0923 wrote:
FreeTheArmy wrote:anyone looking for the silver button scarab-clones, check this out :shock: :
That's the one I have. I paid a little more for it than what listed there, but not much. That's probably more along the lines of what it's actually worth though.
about three months ago, the same knife was listed for three times the price on the same site. i think they're trying to get rid of last year's stock.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

They were selling them on Bladeplay for about $30 also. But, they warned that the button was very "stiff." Like I said, when I recieved mine it was so stiff it took two hands to close it. I was able to fix it by removing a spring, but others may not want to take the time. I wonder if maybe they've had to reduce the price because of the defect.

edit: They're still on Bladeplay at $30 actually...

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Rumble-D ... lack--7619
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

The titan (silver button) is not as nice a clone as the airborn thrasher. usually the thrasher goes for about $75 (got mine for $50). RSI seems to only sell the thrasher.

On a side note.
3 things.

-First: My knife has claimed blood today. I showed it to my father who was giving me an old torx screwdriver I needed for the screws in my knife. He asked to see the knife, So I got it out and handed it to him. I walked off and a moment later I heard a muted thwick sound. I came around the corner to see him staining my tabelcloth red :shock: . (hand wounds seem to bleed a lot.). I gave him some paper towels, Bactine, and a styptic pencil to clean up with (while I cleaned me knife). Apparently he thought that the glass breaker was supposed to extend :? so he held it backwards. I'm glad he didnt drop it though when it stabbed him.

-Second: I found an easy way to remove the tri-bit screws. I got a larger high gauge paper clip, and cut it up with some wire cutters, bent it into a U shape with my needle nose pliers. And then I ground the tips to a flat point with my metal file. It works surprisingly well. :D

-Third: Interestingly when I opened my knife up it didn't have the the "soda can metal" slide chassis I was told to expect. I pulled out the slide and springs and tried to replace them with the "upgrades I got from roadside imports". The knife didn't operate correctly with the RSI parts, it would open, but would not close completely and the springs kept coming off. I took them out and compared the parts side by side. The original parts appear to have been made of steel, not aluminum like I was told they would be. The original slide chassis is heavier and the original springs seem stiffer and stronger. I'm quite confused now, WTF :?: :| .
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:The titan (silver button) is not as nice a clone as the airborn thrasher. usually the thrasher goes for about $75 (got mine for $50). RSI seems to only sell the thrasher.
Sorry to hear about your Dad's mishap. The Thrasher and Titan look exactly the same to me apart from the button color, screws, and logo on the clip. What makes the Thrasher any better than the Titan?

edit: if you don't mind would you please post a pic of the internals of your Thrasher?
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

steel chassis???
here's a link showing the original aluminum slide. and how your knife is to be (or not to be) assembled:
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... atid/63015
have you asked the scotsman from RSI if he was aware of this difference in yours from the majority of them?
any assembly questions, just ask.
-free
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Sorry to hear about your Dad's mishap. The Thrasher and Titan look exactly the same to me apart from the button color, screws, and logo on the clip. What makes the Thrasher any better than the Titan?

edit: if you don't mind would you please post a pic of the internals of your Thrasher?
Sure, the titan uses cheap aluminum crappy parts weaker springs and a cheap aluminum frame. Also the blade itself is crappy. The Thrasher on the other hand has a nice aluminum (or in my case steel) body (it's heavy) a steel slide chassis, and powerful springs. The Thrasher is still not heat treated or as nice as the scarab, but is a lot nicer than the titan. I dont have a titan, but I have handled one and I've seen pictures of the inside of one.

Heres a pic
From top to bottom (for anyone who dosent know)
(all the original parts)
-Switch and screws
-Blade and steel knife frame
-steel slide chassis
-springs with steel tabs
-Cover

(and yes, mine IS steel, it's heavy, it looks like steel, it feels like steel, it taste like steel (I held the slide chassis in my teeth for a short time while I was working with the blade to understand how it functions))

(Dunno is maybe there are clone thrashers out there, but either way, teh parts I got from RSI are cheaper in quality from whats already in there)
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Something tells me that the trasher I bought is not the same thrasher the guy at RSI sells. In fact I'm thinking that the RSI site might call any knife of that same basic design a thrasher.

http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... /id/490546

Look at the scales of that knife (quite different from any other thrasher), and look at the clip (no insignia), and look at the screws. I have the torx screws and they still sit inside the frame, not above like that.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:Sure, the titan uses cheap aluminum crappy parts weaker springs and a cheap aluminum frame. Also the blade itself is crappy. The Thrasher on the other hand has a nice aluminum (or in my case steel) body (it's heavy) a steel slide chassis, and powerful springs. The Thrasher is still not heat treated or as nice as the scarab, but is a lot nicer than the titan. I dont have a titan, but I have handled one and I've seen pictures of the inside of one.
I dunno buddy, that knife looks EXACTLY like mine. I mean right down to the little circles in the mold. And mine definitely isn't light either. I'd say it weighs about 3 times what my Lightning weighs...wish I had a scale. And the springs are definitely not weak...as like I said I had to remove one just to make it comfortable to use. I'm not trying to say that my knife is nice by any means, I def got what I paid for. I'm just having trouble understanding why there's such a huge difference in price between one and the other. Even if the materials are slightly upgraded, we're talking about a $60 difference in most cases.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

The impression I get is that the titan will die much faster, moves slower and misfires more often.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Mine has never misfired. Judging by the heft of the blade and the feeling of the action I don't think it would be common at all. We're talking about the same knife, right? This is the one I have here...

Then again, mine did have the tight button that had to be fixed. That definitely justifies a drop in price.

There are some other double action otf that have been sold under the name "Titan". I've never held one of those, but they do look "cheaper" I suppose. There are so many different variations of these now it's getting hard to keep track of all the names. In fact, I've noticed that two different sellers may even refer to the same knife by different names.
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I have a "Titan III"... kinda of a tanish - grey color with a silver button.. it has never misfired once... I think I could run it over a few hundred times and it would still work fine... I bought it for $38 bucks over at bladebid... nice seller...

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze