My new Knives (and other things I got in the mail)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dark2023

Re: My new Knives (and other things I got in the mail)

Post by dark2023 »

Correct size ball for a .36 caliber revolver is actually .375. When you press the ball into the cylinder it should shave off a small circular ring of lead.

I see, I was not aware of that, but then again I probably would have learned once I did some research before firing it, or when I tried to buy lead balls for it.
You don't need wadding or a patch in a revolver, but they say you should use grease over the ball in the gap left between the ball and the barrel.
I thought that sounded odd, but then again. This is my first black powder firearm.
It is also recommended that you only load 5 cylinders.
I was planning on loading all six, but only right before firing. I've also heard that some people used to rest the hammer between cylinders so that they could safety carry 6 shots, but this seems somehow hard on the revolver (making do something it wasn't intended to do).
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

dark2023 wrote: I've also heard that some people used to rest the hammer between cylinders so that they could safety carry 6 shots, but this seems somehow hard on the revolver (making do something it wasn't intended to do).
The cylinder would spin freely with the hammer half cocked and would eventually end up on a loaded chamber. I would load all six but if you are carrying it in a holster for a period of time just don't put a cap on the one of the chambers.
Another little trick I learned is to gently squeeze the cap before you snap it on a chamber. Sometimes they can fall off and this helps keep it on.
I kept a few toothpicks or wooden matches around to poke through the vent hole to make sure they are not clogged causing a misfire.

Just a few pointers. :wink: Makes me want to go out and get me another cap and ball.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

The cylinder would spin freely with the hammer half cocked and would eventually end up on a loaded chamber. I would load all six but if you are carrying it in a holster for a period of time just don't put a cap on the one of the chambers.
On mine, if you half cock the hammer and slowly spin the cylinder, you can advance it just past a chamber before it clicks over to the next one and bring the hammer back, and then down it isn't resting on a chamber (well not completely). People claim that the confederates made copies of these weapons and that they made sure tha their reproductions had a slightly larger fault and the hammer truly could rest between chambers. That way they had 6 shots, and Yankees only 5.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Cool! I have one of the Remington .44-caliber cap-and-ball replicas. I have not fired mine in years and should get it out again.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Ok, the Airbourne-Thrasher arrived, it seems to be a VERY nice blade, best clone I've seen so far. I have all the upgrade parts, springs, chassis, and screws. So soon it should be just a little bit less than a true MT Scarab

Pics, as always.

BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Unfortunately one thing that you can never upgrade on the clones is the type of steel they used to make the blade. I have an MT clone just like that one, only the screws are phillips-head instead of faux MT screws.
Last edited by BTB0923 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

well, you COULD, but it would probably cost you as much as the knife itself.
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

glad you got it in, neighbor!
unless you shift your switchblade interests elsewhere, i'm sure you'll have a scarab one day.
think: "tax return" :wink:
"Everyone is your neighbor."
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I plan on getting a scarab one day.
What do you mean by "tax return" though, how could you claim an auto knife on a 10W-something.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

dark2023 wrote: What do you mean by "tax return" though, how could you claim an auto knife on a 10W-something.
Mr. dark2023,

Apparently, you don't pay taxes... He's referring to a tax REFUND - That's the money you get back after you file your Tax Return iff'n you have overpaid your taxes by excessive withholding, or due to deductions.
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
birdieman

Post by birdieman »

I ordered several of those 'Airborne thrashers' recently from a different source than Roadside, and was impressed when they arrived. Since I got a few, I was curious to see how consistent the tolerances were, piece to piece. Every piece was identical in button feel and blade play. ...No one piece was better than any of the others, all identical. I sold all but 1 at my last show 2 weeks ago. People love these for what they are.
picklock junkie
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Apparently, you don't pay taxes... He's referring to a tax REFUND - That's the money you get back after you file your Tax Return iff'n you have overpaid your taxes by excessive withholding, or due to deductions.
I see, your saying to use the tax refund to buy a Scarab. I thought somehow he was talking about claiming the knife on your taxes like you would a charitable donation.
I ordered several of those 'Airborne thrashers' recently from a different source than Roadside, and was impressed when they arrived. Since I got a few, I was curious to see how consistent the tolerances were, piece to piece. Every piece was identical in button feel and blade play. ...No one piece was better than any of the others, all identical. I sold all but 1 at my last show 2 weeks ago. People love these for what they are.
Not quite sure what you mean here. I got mine for $50 off gunbroker. It's a nice knife. But I'm replacing a lot of the pieces with custom machined peices of higher quality to make it last longer.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Without giving myself a headache browsing the roadapple import website, what upgraded parts are available and how much extra $ does it cost.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I have an MT clone just like that one, only the screws are phillips-head instead of faux MT screws.
That'd be version 2, I think that the slide chassis is better in that version too.
Without giving myself a headache browsing the roadapple import website, what upgraded parts are available and how much extra $ does it cost.
for the airborne knife
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... atid/76814

For all knives
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... tcat/26098
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

dark2023 wrote:
for the airborne knife
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... atid/76814

For all knives
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... tcat/26098
the prices tend to flux within a $10 range from time to time.
but the quality of the knife doubles with just adding the 6061 internal slide, and the heat-treated spring.
BTB0923 wrote:Unfortunately one thing that you can never upgrade on the clones is the type of steel they used to make the blade. I have an MT clone just like that one, only the screws are phillips-head instead of faux MT screws.
unless i'm mistaken, you may have a clone of a scarab clone or rather a newer version. are the screws and switch/button silver or black? the ones with the silver button are lighter and you can feel the spring vibrate upon opening and closing. i've never owned one or taken one apart, but i have messed with one at a gun show. the one with the black button and MT style fasteners doesn't feel all that different from a scarab... well, i mean, as a [clone] of something as well built as a scarab, the black-button clone is impressive --way better than the lightnings, imo. (i'll put it that way, because nothing really compares to a microtech --love'em or hate'em, they're a well built knife!)
"Everyone is your neighbor."