Uhoh, my brand new OTF is broken...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MikeAKATheBoss

Uhoh, my brand new OTF is broken...

Post by MikeAKATheBoss »

I just got the titan enforcer OTf knife for Christmas. This is the titan, not the nitro being advertised as a Titan. Something I would do with it when I was bored is deploy the knife but at the same time I would pull the switchto retract the blade I would flick my wrist. This would knock the blade off it's tracks and it could easily be reset by pulling it all the way out or pushing it all the way in. This last time I did it I was shakingthe knife in a way that the blade would go in and out but not all the way... Imagine shaking the knife the same way you would shake a soda before opening it. Previous to this the blade went back onto the tracks after doing the same thing without a problem. But this time I pulled the blade all the way out to reset it, pulled the switch down to retract it, and the knife stayed inthe same position but the switch went to the closed position. I figured out if I pull the blade out an extra 1/16 inch at the same time I pulled the switch down, and then released the blade it would retract. To deploy it I would have to push INTO the switch at the same time I pushed up until I could feel the switch had caught on something inside. This no longer works though and now my 2 week old 100 dollar switchblade is stuck in the closed position and appears to be useless :( what can I do? I loved that knife! Lol
Viking45

Re: Uhoh, my brand new OTF is broken...

Post by Viking45 »

I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what not to do :lol:
MikeAKATheBoss

Post by MikeAKATheBoss »

Viking45 wrote:I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what not to do :lol:
Lol something tells me this isn't going to help me out much but eff it. What do I need to not do? :D
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

MikeAKATheBoss wrote:
Viking45 wrote:I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what not to do :lol:
Lol something tells me this isn't going to help me out much but eff it. What do I need to not do? :D
I'm sorry for being a smart-*ss. I couldn't resist.
Whatever you did to screw it up...don't do that! :lol:

But seriously there are quite a few members here that can give you advise and the help you need.
I have no problems with OTF knives but I do not own any and/or do I plan on buying one.
If I did it would be the Lightning I hear so much about for under 50 bucks.
I would never spend 400/500 on an OTF. 200 for that matter.

Again I am sorry for not being any help but someone will come along and get you back on track.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

MikeAKATheBoss wrote:I just got the titan enforcer OTf knife for Christmas. This is the titan, not the nitro being advertised as a Titan. Something I would do with it when I was bored is deploy the knife but at the same time I would pull the switchto retract the blade I would flick my wrist. This would knock the blade off it's tracks and it could easily be reset by pulling it all the way out or pushing it all the way in. This last time I did it I was shakingthe knife in a way that the blade would go in and out but not all the way... Imagine shaking the knife the same way you would shake a soda before opening it. Previous to this the blade went back onto the tracks after doing the same thing without a problem. But this time I pulled the blade all the way out to reset it, pulled the switch down to retract it, and the knife stayed inthe same position but the switch went to the closed position. I figured out if I pull the blade out an extra 1/16 inch at the same time I pulled the switch down, and then released the blade it would retract. To deploy it I would have to push INTO the switch at the same time I pushed up until I could feel the switch had caught on something inside. This no longer works though and now my 2 week old 100 dollar switchblade is stuck in the closed position and appears to be useless :( what can I do? I loved that knife! Lol
Hi Mike. I am very familiar with the knife and other otfs. I may be able to help you. Doesn't sound like a major problem. If you need a part I may have one. Send me a pm with your email and we can correspond if you wish. The Titan is a Scarab clone and I have parts ( springs and rails ).
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

MikeAKATheBoss wrote: Something I would do with it when I was bored is deploy the knife but at the same time I would pull the switch to retract the blade I would flick my wrist. This would knock the blade off it's tracks
Mr. Mike,

There must be sumpin' I'm missing here (I'm kinda dense).

Why inna world would you deliberately cause the blade to derail? Didja think this would be good for the knife? Didja think the knife was designed for this kinda abuse?

What were you thinking?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JerrBear wrote:Why inna world would you deliberately cause the blade to derail? Didja think this would be good for the knife? Didja think the knife was designed for this kinda abuse?

What were you thinking?
Oh no,here we go again :lol:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Viking,

I'm sorry if you think my questions are inappropriate, but I really AM curiousness...

Have we gotten to the point that we should be afraid to axe anything lest we offend someone? I hope not!
JerrBear
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JerrBear wrote:Mr. Viking,

I'm sorry if you think my questions are inappropriate, but I really AM curiousness...

Have we gotten to the point that we should be afraid to axe anything lest we offend someone? I hope not!
Aww heck no Jerr,I was just jokin'.
Read my posts above :lol:
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

MikeAKATheBoss wrote:I just got the titan enforcer OTf knife for Christmas. This is the titan, not the nitro being advertised as a Titan. Something I would do with it when I was bored is deploy the knife but at the same time I would pull the switchto retract the blade I would flick my wrist. This would knock the blade off it's tracks and it could easily be reset by pulling it all the way out or pushing it all the way in. This last time I did it I was shakingthe knife in a way that the blade would go in and out but not all the way... Imagine shaking the knife the same way you would shake a soda before opening it. Previous to this the blade went back onto the tracks after doing the same thing without a problem. But this time I pulled the blade all the way out to reset it, pulled the switch down to retract it, and the knife stayed inthe same position but the switch went to the closed position. I figured out if I pull the blade out an extra 1/16 inch at the same time I pulled the switch down, and then released the blade it would retract. To deploy it I would have to push INTO the switch at the same time I pushed up until I could feel the switch had caught on something inside. This no longer works though and now my 2 week old 100 dollar switchblade is stuck in the closed position and appears to be useless :( what can I do? I loved that knife! Lol
Chances are that if something was actually broken the blade would probably be loose. It might be that some part of the mechanism is just stuck. Try taking the knife apart and re-assembling it.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Viking45 wrote: Read my posts above :lol:
Alas, I read every word but it didn't register... :oops:
JerrBear
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

you broke it so take it apart and see what it's made of, they are really pretty simple! don't treat any tool but a hammer like that again unless you want to break it or you like throwing your money away.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
gramps

Post by gramps »

Yeah, why would you abuse it like that?... :?
Anyway, take it apart and show us pictures of what went wrong with it. :|
If I only knew!
MikeAKATheBoss

Post by MikeAKATheBoss »

Viking45 wrote:
MikeAKATheBoss wrote:
I'm sorry for being a smart-*ss. I couldn't resist.
Whatever you did to screw it up...don't do that! :lol:

But seriously there are quite a few members here that can give you advise and the help you need.
I have no problems with OTF knives but I do not own any and/or do I plan on buying one.
If I did it would be the Lightning I hear so much about for under 50 bucks.
I would never spend 400/500 on an OTF. 200 for that matter.

Again I am sorry for not being any help but someone will come along and get you back on track.
Viking, no worries at all. I knew you were being funny. I can be quite the smartass myself so we're speaking the same language.
JerrBear wrote:
MikeAKATheBoss wrote: Something I would do with it when I was bored is deploy the knife but at the same time I would pull the switch to retract the blade I would flick my wrist. This would knock the blade off it's tracks
Mr. Mike,

There must be sumpin' I'm missing here (I'm kinda dense).

Why inna world would you deliberately cause the blade to derail? Didja think this would be good for the knife? Didja think the knife was designed for this kinda abuse?

What were you thinking?
Jerrbear I officially feel like a RA-Tard. If anyone here is or was being dense, it was me, so hold off on the cat scan and let me explain myself. I'm not usually a dumb person, or a dense person, or an idiot, or a moron (though what I wrote above this would lead you to believe otherwise .:D) Out of my group of friends I'm usually the first to say "What the hell are you thinking moron?" or "That doesn't make any sense, idiot." Not saying I'm the first to open my mouth, but I am usually... What I mean is I'm usually the first to notice something doesn't add up right or won't give the desired outcome that the concerned party was looking for. The only way I can explain what I was doing was that I was manipulating the usual function of the knife to give me a different outcome than what it would normally. I understand you are asking yourself "What the F#@k is this kid trying to say??" but what I mean is that I looked at it like I can either open the knife normally, or manually disrupt its mechanism, and in my skewed logic neither would have any substantial effect on the knife other than the unavoidable wear and tear that comes along with all things, regardless of whether they are being used for the purpose they were intended for. As an example, all cars come with brakes. The brakes are designed to stop the car or slow down the car. Even though the brakes were designed to stop the car, it is not beneficial to the life of the brakes to use the brakes to stop the car. Get what I'm saying? I'm straining myself to come up with a worthy analogy that could possibly explain to you all my logic... It's probably gonna suck but I'll try. Dirt bikes (with clutches) were not made to be able to be coast started. (Where you put it in a gear, 3rd or above, hold the clutch, start moving the bike then release the clutch.) The clutch was designed to allow the bike to shift gears without chomping through ten gear teeth per gear change. Even though the dirt bike was not specifically designed to be able to coast start, it can be coast started without causing any more wear and tear than would normally be expected on a dirtbike. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but it does to me. If it doesn't, either take my word that it makes perfect sense to me and I am not crazy, or ask me to come up with another anology and I'll consult my sensei after work today :D
jmack1944 wrote:
Hi Mike. I am very familiar with the knife and other otfs. I may be able to help you. Doesn't sound like a major problem. If you need a part I may have one. Send me a pm with your email and we can correspond if you wish. The Titan is a Scarab clone and I have parts ( springs and rails ).

Hey Jmack that would be awesome! If it really is something as simple as it sounds (I researched a bit and apparently it's a Class-A DIY job) then I would be more than willing to work something out with you! I do have a problem though, before I can take it apart and figure out what exactly is broken I need the right tool. I would assume you know what kind of screws or "screw things" the knife uses but just to clarify in case it varies, mine has one hole in the middle of the screw and three an equal length apart surrounding the middle hole. Where can I get this tool??
sammy da blade wrote:you broke it so take it apart and see what it's made of, they are really pretty simple! don't treat any tool but a hammer like that again unless you want to break it or you like throwing your money away.
I'm relieved to hear it's so easy but at the same time crushed to find out this was noone else's fault but my own! To be honest, like I said earlier, I did not even know this was considered abuse. I thought it was more of a benign glitch within the knife.
gramps wrote:Yeah, why would you abuse it like that?... :?
Anyway, take it apart and show us pictures of what went wrong with it. :|
I'd be more than glad to show you all pictures of what went wrong when I take it apart. Hopefully I can get it back together just as easy!
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I looked at it like I can either open the knife normally, or manually disrupt its mechanism, and in my skewed logic neither would have any substantial effect on the knife other than the unavoidable wear and tear that comes along with all things
They say adolescents do not have to ability to think of what may happen as a result of their actions. Apparently in the developing brain, that function comes later. I do not fault you, I fault human development. (but then again, people do stupid things all the time. (even smart people))
before I can take it apart and figure out what exactly is broken I need the right tool. I would assume you know what kind of screws or "screw things" the knife uses but just to clarify in case it varies, mine has one hole in the middle of the screw and three an equal length apart surrounding the middle hole. Where can I get this tool??
They call those tri-bit screws. You can get a special screwdriver head (compatible with 90% of interchangeable screwdrivers) from places such as roadsideimports, their usually about $25-30 each (not sure if you want to medium or small size). I actually recently asked the very same question, so I jut learned all this myself.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"