Uhoh, my brand new OTF is broken...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jmack1944

Re: Uhoh, my brand new OTF is broken...

Post by jmack1944 »

Mike, I absolutely understand what you were doing with the knife. I admire curiousity in people.
I doubt that you have done any damage to the knife. The MT clones are tough knives and can take a lot of abuse internally. The most difficult part is taking it apart. You will need the right bit as was said earlier. I get mine from China free but only have one at the moment otherwise I'd send it to you gratis. One piece of advice I will give you is very important: when you disassemble the handle be very, very carefull when you separate the two pices of the handle. The trigger has a small spring ( and sometimes a small ball bearing ) embedded in its bottom. If you are not careful the spring will fly out and you will have a hell of a time finding it. The spring and ballbearing make the trigger work smoother. If your knife doesn't have the spring don't worry about that. Some of the clones I've seen don't have it. Or if you do lose it the trigger will still work but it will rub the coating of the knife a little bit and cause some wear. The spring is to prevent this from happening. Also do not disturb the "gates". They are small pieces of steel inserted into the interior of the handles. They also have small springs ( you can't see them ). Other than that no problems. Just be really gentle when you have the knife apart and don't lose any screws. Once you've done it once it will be easy from then on. Same goes for any MT or MT clone otf.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

jmack1944 wrote:One piece of advice I will give you is very important: when you disassemble the handle be very, very carefull when you separate the two pices of the handle. The trigger has a small spring ( and sometimes a small ball bearing ) embedded in its bottom. If you are not careful the spring will fly out and you will have a hell of a time finding it.
Sound advice! It's happened to me :lol:
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

MikeAKATheBoss wrote:I just got the titan enforcer OTf knife for Christmas. This is the titan, not the nitro being advertised as a Titan. Something I would do with it when I was bored is deploy the knife but at the same time I would pull the switchto retract the blade I would flick my wrist. This would knock the blade off it's tracks and it could easily be reset by pulling it all the way out or pushing it all the way in. This last time I did it I was shakingthe knife in a way that the blade would go in and out but not all the way... Imagine shaking the knife the same way you would shake a soda before opening it. Previous to this the blade went back onto the tracks after doing the same thing without a problem. But this time I pulled the blade all the way out to reset it, pulled the switch down to retract it, and the knife stayed inthe same position but the switch went to the closed position. I figured out if I pull the blade out an extra 1/16 inch at the same time I pulled the switch down, and then released the blade it would retract. To deploy it I would have to push INTO the switch at the same time I pushed up until I could feel the switch had caught on something inside. This no longer works though and now my 2 week old 100 dollar switchblade is stuck in the closed position and appears to be useless :( what can I do? I loved that knife! Lol
I was able to replicate this issue with my Titan. I fired it and kinda simultaneous swooped my hand in a C motion like I was parrying a knife thrust from a for real opponent and the blade hung ~1 timeness out of 5 timesness. I think that is okay because it is not a $600 otf but only a $50 otf. I do have it oiled up with Latama Quick Release. Is yours oiled some, not at all, any? :idea:
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

big_ski wrote:
MikeAKATheBoss wrote:I just got the titan enforcer OTf knife for Christmas. This is the titan, not the nitro being advertised as a Titan. Something I would do with it when I was bored is deploy the knife but at the same time I would pull the switchto retract the blade I would flick my wrist. This would knock the blade off it's tracks and it could easily be reset by pulling it all the way out or pushing it all the way in. This last time I did it I was shakingthe knife in a way that the blade would go in and out but not all the way... Imagine shaking the knife the same way you would shake a soda before opening it. Previous to this the blade went back onto the tracks after doing the same thing without a problem. But this time I pulled the blade all the way out to reset it, pulled the switch down to retract it, and the knife stayed inthe same position but the switch went to the closed position. I figured out if I pull the blade out an extra 1/16 inch at the same time I pulled the switch down, and then released the blade it would retract. To deploy it I would have to push INTO the switch at the same time I pushed up until I could feel the switch had caught on something inside. This no longer works though and now my 2 week old 100 dollar switchblade is stuck in the closed position and appears to be useless :( what can I do? I loved that knife! Lol
I was able to replicate this issue with my Titan. I fired it and kinda simultaneous swooped my hand in a C motion like I was parrying a knife thrust from a for real opponent and the blade hung ~1 timeness out of 5 timesness. I think that is okay because it is not a $600 otf but only a $50 otf. I do have it oiled up with Latama Quick Release. Is yours oiled some, not at all, any? :idea:
The same thing will probably happen with a genuine MT otf. It is peculiar to most otfs. Also if you fire them back and forth in rapid succession it is liable to misfire. They are mechanical objects and prone to any misuse. Simple solution to most problems with automatic knives? Don't abuse or misuse them. They are not toys.
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I have a Titan III and it has standard hex screws, not the tri hole screws... anyway, good luck. Either way, I'd take it apart & see what that does.

Not to be a douchenozzle, but I read & reread your post and about had a seziure trying to comprehend what exactly you were trying to do?? Were you tired of sanding your blue ray collection??? :lol: :lol: Best you did it with a $50 knife and not a $500 one.

If you take it apart, take pics. I'm too lazy to take mine apart & I want to see what it looks like... :P

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

Can't say I know whats wrong with the knife Mike, but after reading your post I think you might enjoy a gravity knife. Have you ever owned one? Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be funny or offensive. After I read that I said to myself "this dude would have a ball with a gravity knife or a bali"
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

Scruffy wrote:Can't say I know whats wrong with the knife Mike, but after reading your post I think you might enjoy a gravity knife. Have you ever owned one? Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be funny or offensive. After I read that I said to myself "this dude would have a ball with a gravity knife or a bali"
:D :!: