Scratches! Help please.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
crunch

Scratches! Help please.

Post by crunch »

One of my recent purchases arrived with scratches on the front bolster. This knife was shipped alone so I assume they got there when it was with other knives somewhere along the way. Is there a way for me (a total newbie---no knife-making tools or skills) to polish these scratches away? :?: Thanks
crunch
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Depending on how deep the scratches are you might be able to remove them but it may require a buffer ( I'm no expert). I'd just designate the blade as a 'user' and move on.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

For serious scratches a buffer is neccessary. It is the tool most likely to hurt the user so caution above and beyond normal is called for. The job can be done with a Dremel [or other rotary tool] and the lower power makes it somewhat safer. If the Dremel "grabs" the knife from your hand is less likely than a buffer to take fingers with it. Use three [or more] different buffing compounds starting with coarse and progressing to x-fine and use a seperate buffing wheel for each compound.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Vagrant.....What kind of compounds and are they available at hobby shops.
Have some old knifes with some scratches and would like to buff them out.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Razor,
A search for knifemaking supplies can answer many questions.
Black Emery [sp?] is the coarsest you'll need Jewelers rouge the finest
[probably] there are numerous grades that are in between. Some are better for stainless than others. A search will turn up several-several dozen suppliers, compare their products and then decide which one appeals to you. .
As long as you get three or four grades from coarse to xtrafine you'll be o.k. Polishing is really just scratching something with progressively finer scratches until the scratches are too small to see. [Oversimplified but very close to what happens]. As you go to finer compounds if any visible scratches from the last compound remain you my need something in between. I hope this helps.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Thanks Vagrant....Will give it a try. Fould a supplier here in Quebec.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6