Price for Lerverletto's

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MegaDave

Price for Lerverletto's

Post by MegaDave »

How much did everyone pay for their Leverletto's? I see them on BA for 80 to 100 dollars, They came out for around 60 did'nt they?
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

pretty much sucks... i got here too late :(

I'd love one of Bill's designs, but a $40-$50 markup is stupid. I should get two of em for $100.

It's stuff like that which makes ppl appreciate cheap crap clones :evil:
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

gonzo-beyondbo, you should have been here when benny had them! a guy i work with got one for 77 bux plus shipping, a pretty good deal. benny's were better.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Gonzo_Beyondo wrote:pretty much sucks... i got here too late :(

I'd love one of Bill's designs, but a $40-$50 markup is stupid. I should get two of em for $100.

It's stuff like that which makes ppl appreciate cheap crap clones :evil:
Hey Mr. Gonzo_Beyondo,
I'm leaving town in about 1/2 hr. but before I go I'll sell a couple of mine for just $373.94 ea. I hate the thought of
under cutting the other dealers so you might be able to afford these blades. ( just kidding) Seriously, This is the reason
its a hobby and collecting., maybe these LLs will be collectable and maybe not. Those that got them at a good price
will benefit later if they become a collectable piece, if not you lucked out and you'll see them for $20.00 bucks on BA. Why is a Micky Mantle rookie baseball card worth $32,000.00 ? I got my 9 of them from Stu for 6 bucks.

Take Care
:lol:
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

i understand that your kidding,
but there is really no valid comparison to a lerverletto and a Mantle rookie. If i must, i'll get into the reasons why that card is worth a fortune, tho i'd rather not. The Leverletto is new, modern production, and isn't worth a $50 markup in just a few months.

Custom knives are ordered, person waited 6mos. for arrival of this one-of-type specimen, where then a month later it ends up on BFC Exchange for $100 less than he paid.

While i certainly appreciate Bill's design of the knife, it's still a production piece and not warranting an extra $50 anymore than a Beltrame of similar issue/value.

Getting back to the reason why ppl get pissed at Stu, he's not raping for those markups.

man, this is like Beanie Babies re-visited. :roll:
a $4 plush toy somebody selling for $400, and the morons who pay it, thus perpetuating the BS. Don't buy the inflated crap and when it does'nt sell prices will be forced down. It ain't rocket science.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Mr. Gonzo_Beyondo,
Supply and demand? It hasn't been several months, just weeks
I guess if I were in your shoes I wouldn't pursue buying one, Case Closed.
Have a nice weekend
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

These came out in the mid $70.00 range for dark horn. This was not an auction price but a direct sale. I think that as the first run dries up and more late buyers jump aboard sellers will auction them to get the most $. Good for them, I'd do it if I was a dealer. When the knife goes to regular production, and if they alter the blade etch, I think you'll find that we all got these first ones cheap. Think of it this way: The initial run of the Leverletto contains a finite # of knives but the amount of people who will want one of them will increase gradually, over time, and possibly without end.

I got mine because I like the design and significance of the knife. What it may or may not be worth, now or in the future, isn't a concern.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Gonzo B.,

You have commented about you thoughts regarding knife values a few times in a short while. To any individual, a knife is worth what that person is willing to pay. When I look at the auction results section of BA, I see instances of folks buying at prices that make me wish I had been the bidder, and I see instances of folks paying more than I would for the given switchblade. It is part of the hobby.

If you don't think a leverletto is worth what someone is asking, don't buy it. For the record, I paid around $65-70 from a private seller who doesn't have any more. After having them for awhile, my conclusion is that they are great knives bought at a great price. Personally, if they were $100 each I would have bought them. The leverletto was a long time coming and has a story behind it that has meaning to many of us in the collecting community.

Jim
Last edited by jim d, on Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Gonzo
This is a common occurance in life. Most times we spend more then the item is worth. Tobacco products, booze etc are more because of taxes. Other things are more because they are scarecer. Look at the Dodge Viper and the new T-Bird when both first came out they had a set MSRP of x amount. You saw that price and thought I could maybe afford one then you went to the dealer and he said "Sure son I will be happy to sell you one. " but while looking it was 25 to 30 thousand more then the price in the magazine article. Why cause the dealers only got so many thus we get to supply and demand. When the demand out weighs the supply you are placed over a barrel. Shit or get off the pot cause if you don't buy it there are 10 others right behind that will. You are correct that this is only a production knife and made by a small Company not a large Co like Case or Schrade so only so many were produced on the FIRST RUN. I emphasise first run because all of us here know truthfully that we don't know when the second run will be. We hear stories and rumors but no hard facts. So at this point in time those that bot have a part of a small first run. Those who are selling know this just like the car dealership. So the jist of the whole thing is your beef is with whover is selling high. Selling high is a fact of life and your the one who has to decide but pissing and moaning about cost here will not do one Iota to lower the cost. As was said earlier we in this small community take care of each other and we all got them at a very reasonable price of under $70 with shipping. The last thing I want to say is these things are not above board so the ones supplying them take on a risk to themselves legal wise,they make all the arangements and pay up front and if good old mr c gets them the buyer is out quite a bit of money with no chance of recovering it so on that point alone he is entitled to make money why shouldn't he. Remember everytime you bot a switch whether direct from Italy or Germany or here in the states someone put there shit on the line so you could have your toy.I also remember when the original price was quoted as being a ballpark figure not written in stone. So either wait for the next run or look around. If you pay a $100 for one that is about what you would pay buying only one from overseas when the cost of the shipping is included so I don't see where this should even be an issue. Nobodys bending your arm to buy and the next time something like this comes up pay closer attention and get in early.
PB
MegaDave

Post by MegaDave »

Well now that I know know you guy's payed around $70 for them the $80 to $100 on BA does not sound bad. I really want one, I think they look great and I can't wait to feel one! So I will pay the asking amount no problem...And once again that's for the responses.... 8)
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

eh'...

i was workin' on no sleep, in 90* heat with 110% humidity, and i was friggin' bitchy. Sorry dudes, if i came off more negative than normal, but i was. :twisted:

I can see dropping $80 or so for one, my original impression was they were around $50. Thats a $30 difference right there. Regardless of my feelings, i won't ever say they are'nt *worth* $100, or even $150, i just get bitter about markups sometimes and rant away :oops:

Anyways, PB, i woulda got in on the original deal, but alas, i did not know of this forum. Now that i do and i'm here, where's the hookups for the next awesome knives?? I'm in! 8)
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I ordered one in blonde horn last thursday (09/18/03) from PVK. Would anyone here know if it might be from that first run you're talking about? It didn't even occur to me until I read this thread, I just like the looks and story behind the knife, and its design.
The price of any limited run item is higher, generally. If a factory has to stop the presses or whatever and re-tool it can cost them. Not to mention the bookkeeping and advertising involved. I'm an industrial tech, I know this to be a fact of life.
Also, the knife is unique and is connected to one of this hobbys celebrities. I had an old Strat once I bought for around $350.00. The same type of instrument, played by Hendrix at Woodstock sold for about $300,000.00 at auction some years ago. Supply & demand.
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

TR,

I believe that there has been only one run to date. Bill, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

As far as I know, the second run is not out yet.
I think the Leverlettos are a $100+ dollar knife. A very good deal.
When I designed it, the target price was about $125.00. I was amazed that the first run was so inexpensive!
Bill
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

y[quote="tr4252"]
the knife is unique and is connected to one of this hobbys celebrities.TR[/quote="tr4252"]

Bill
The hell with the cost whenever I can buy something from a celebrity that alone is worth it :P To think I knew you when you were just a poor tired old man on a walker that happened to have one of the best touches in the switch world for taking a mangled piece of shit held together with piano wire and sheep horn scales so devasted they were ready for a toxic waste dump and returning the knife in such condition that it took up to a week with a magnifying glass to study and make sure someones elses knife was not sent in error. You also had that big elf helping with small details like blade removel and restoration and now even though your on your death bed and Miss Debbie is begging you to hang it up you come up with one of the best damn designs for a L/L ever made. You sir are a wonder of science and my opinion is that you owe no one an explanation for what ever the cost. This world of ours can move at a snails pace or it can move very fast. A snails pace is more the norm though and sooner or later a second run will come and until it does you should just rest up and fore go a lot of the questions that pop up that don't even deserve an answer. Oh yeah when that second run does finally appear any chance of ATS-34? That would be the only way to improve on an inpecable design. :wink:
PB