What's the scoop on the H&K Benchmade Tumult OTF?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ThaiBoxer

Re: What's the scoop on the H&K Benchmade Tumult OTF?

Post by ThaiBoxer »

Thanks for the info, guys. I looked it all over and ordered a Tumult.

Best,

Ben
john

Post by john »

Good looking otf :!:
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

ThaiBoxer wrote:Thanks for the info, guys. I looked it all over and ordered a Tumult.

Best,

Ben
Please let us know how it is.
Leverlock switchblades
ThaiBoxer

Post by ThaiBoxer »

Jeff_75 wrote:Please let us know how it is.
Got it today, this one:

It looks surprisingly similar to the pic....Handle is about as exciting as my plain Jane Troodon.

It has fired perfectly all day. Fires even if I move it "UP" in the direction of deploying blade, wish my Troodon did that. The operation is about as smooth as my Microtech Ultratech 7, smoother and easier than my Troodon. The blade profile is a utility single edge, blade is thinner than either of my MT OTFs. Edge is unremarkable, neither Kershaw sharp nor NATO dull. Lockup is looser than my MT knives, about the same as my Lightening knives.

It is about the same price as the MT UTX70 I had (and got rid of 4 days later), but is much more usable and not toy-like as the UTX70 was.

About all I ever cut with knives is tape and similar packaging material anyway, so it is a fine, usable purchase. The Lightning knives feel/look like functional novelties and the Tumult feels like a solid product.

Final judgement: Good Buy for OTF.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks and congratulations.
Is it worth the price?
Leverlock switchblades
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I got one too.

It's smooth, feels solid, but then, so does a Triton-or a Lightning. Only time will tell if the main reason you spend this kind of money on a knife proves out, that being durability.

Mine was quite sharp right out of the box(and bag), do remember that an edge that's too sharp will quickly turn, and require the use of a sharpening steel, which may not be available away from home.

The action seems to be solid, the sound of it operating is subdued, but positive, and that argues for superior quality.

The final test was retracting it from the vertical-many less expensive OTF knives bounce when you do that, and have to be reset. Not the Tumult, snick-snock, in and out, even from dead vertical. Try that with a Tomb Raider clone?

Finest kind, my friends, a knife that's too good not to carry and use, only time will tell if it holds up well. Since I've owned several Italian OTF knives, and a whole bunch of the better Oriental out and back knives, yes, and NATOs, too, this seems to be a class act, and since Vagrant likes them, I'm guessing it's a good one. The man knows his stuff, and I take his advice as Gospel.
Life has no value, Death has a price
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

Update from me on this knife.
I've had the replacement they sent me in my pocket at work since I recived it. Not one miss fire, edge is still very sharp and the operation slick. Its a winnner!! IMO
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Yep, mine is comparable to the UT beside it.