AKC clones

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
whitehorn

AKC clones

Post by whitehorn »

Any difference in the quality of AKC clones and the real AKCs?
Stay Golden
j.a.c.

Re: AKC clones

Post by j.a.c. »

yes.
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

What are the differences?
Stay Golden
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"Fire" a real one and a clone [side by side] and the difference becomes obvious :idea:
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

j.a.c. wrote:yes.
I LOL'd. "yes."

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
birdieman

Post by birdieman »

Every product I have handled with a faked AKC tang stamp was garbage. The 'Milano' Taiwanese are better than any of the fake AKC's I have seen. People selling fake AKC knives that admit they are selling copies are a lot different than people actually trying to pass these off as real AKC's, although, I frown upon the latter a lot more. :wink:
picklock junkie
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

Other than the firing and the materials and quality used, The other thing I notice is the button is really high and the safety doesn't work that well on the Taiwan/China stilettos, is that the case with the AKC fakes?
Stay Golden
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

birdieman wrote:...People selling fake AKC knives that admit they are selling copies are a lot different than people actually trying to pass these off as real AKC's, although, I frown upon the latter a lot more. :wink:
We had a similar discussion with an ex-member who claimed that if you admit you are selling counterfeits, that somehow makes it OK. It doesn't. Anyone selling this crap is ripping off AKC and should be more than just frowned upon.
birdieman

Post by birdieman »

natcherly wrote:
birdieman wrote:...People selling fake AKC knives that admit they are selling copies are a lot different than people actually trying to pass these off as real AKC's, although, I frown upon the latter a lot more. :wink:
We had a similar discussion with an ex-member who claimed that if you admit you are selling counterfeits, that somehow makes it OK. It doesn't. Anyone selling this crap is ripping off AKC and should be more than just frowned upon.
...Agreed
picklock junkie
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

natcherly wrote:
Natcherly is the Italian Nation and all of its citizens being ripped off by persons selling stilettos marked Italy or Milano? :?: Just wondering.
sprink

Post by sprink »

I recently aquired one , by looking at the prev posted pics of the tang stamp this one apears to be a fake , the corners on the triangle dont extend past words, and it actually does not even say stainless on it just made in Italy ? I am thinking in this case the seller did not know the truth , I hope :|
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

jmack1944 wrote:Natcherly is the Italian Nation and all of its citizens being ripped off by persons selling stilettos marked Italy or Milano? :?: Just wondering.
I hope Natcherly doesn't mind my jumping in here.

Stilettos marked "Milano" or "Italy" aren't counterfeits. They're not copying someone else's copyrighted logo. Counterfeit AKCs ARE ripping off AKC and the cottage industry located in Maniago in the "Italian Nation." This issue has already been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. :roll:
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

jarvis wrote:
jmack1944 wrote:Natcherly is the Italian Nation and all of its citizens being ripped off by persons selling stilettos marked Italy or Milano? :?: Just wondering.
I hope Natcherly doesn't mind my jumping in here.

Stilettos marked "Milano" or "Italy" aren't counterfeits. They're not copying someone else's copyrighted logo. Counterfeit AKCs ARE ripping off AKC and the cottage industry located in Maniago in the "Italian Nation." This issue has already been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. :roll:
Mr. J. I'm sure Mr. N. doesn't mind you jumping in. I don't mind either.
1. You're telling me that stilettos marked Milano and Italy are not counterfeits? Try and explain that one to the Italians and the good citizens of Milano. Are the people of Milan and their good name not as important as those of Maniago?
2. I agree that ripping off the AKC trademark is abhorrent and illegal btw. But I also find that stilettos stamped Italy or Milano are equally abhorrent and illegal. But it seems that it's OK to do that. Hummmm...the logic escapes me.
3. I believe that all knives should be stamped with the country or area of true manufacture and origin. I own some stilettos and autos that are stamped Taiwan and they are very good knives. I am proud to show them to my friends. I also own some FBs that I find inferior to my Taiwanese in quality. I also own Fbs that are of the finest quality. I recently purchased 2 Fbs of medium price and one was excellent and the other was very troublesome vis a vis the safety. Makes me wonder if Sr. Beltrame is farming out some of his work.
I had the pleasure of ordering 8 stilettos today and I insisted that all be Taiwanese. They are stamped either China or Taiwan.
Has anyone other than me noticed how difficult it seems to be to buy "Milano" stilettos. I read recently that they are very quickly becoming very popular with collectors who expect their price to increase with time. I guess that must say something about the quality of the Asian knives being manufactured.

Anyone else care to jump in here other than the true believers? I think it would make for a very good discussion. And please spare me the " its all been discussed here before" response.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Has anyone other than me noticed how difficult it seems to be to buy "Milano" stilettos. I read recently that they are very quickly becoming very popular with collectors who expect their price to increase with time.
I hope your not refering to a recent thread here because much of that was tongue in cheek bullshit :lol:

The only reason milanos are rare is because one forum member here has a milano fetish and owns most of them. I won't mention names because he will deny it.... :mrgreen:
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I, personally, find that clones marketed as such are OK in some respects. Allow me to explain, I just bought a Titan OTF, which I'm told is sort of a Scarab clone. It was $40 compared to $400 for a real Scarab. I don't feel that took anything away from MT, as I cannot afford a MT, therefore wouldnt be in the market for one anyway. They never lost a sale because I was never in the market. I feel those who can afford the name brand will buy the name brand, and I got what I paid for, a $40 letter opener that I am very happy with. (If I'm spending $400, I'm buying something that goes BOOM, not click).

Now when someone takes the time to sell clones with the intent of deceiving the buyer, then I have a problem with that. I've read about the AKC clones, and I know the clone makers go to some pretty serious extents to try to trick the buyers, i.e. fake stamps, boxes, etc. NOT cool. I think the whole issue is intent. Is the seller/manufacturer intending on the buyer thinking they are getting an original or a clone? I mean, as kids, I got Lee jeans, not Levi's. One could argue that Lee's are Levi clones, but they have a Lee tag, not the Levi tag. The intent was never to deceive the buyer, only offer a similar product, albeit usually a cheaper quality product, but at a more affordable price. Those who still wanted the quality and the name buy the real thing. Always have, always will.

Lastly, I mean no offense, so everyone put on their big boy pants, but I get a little upset when I see the "this has been discussed"... "use the search function" comments, too... I see that here and on another forum I frequent. I'm sure everything posted on here has been posted/discussed at least 5 times or more in another thread at one time or another. I want interaction, and just from reading the "warriors" thread that got rose from the dead, the members change, therefore the discussion changes. That is why we come here, to discuss things, not search. That's what google is for. I can see if the front page has 2-3 threads that are similar, that can get annoying, but I have been here for a few months and don't recall this coming up anytime recently.

Hope that last comment didnt make me any enemies, but it's how I feel.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze