AKC clones

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jmack1944

Re: AKC clones

Post by jmack1944 »

BTB0923 wrote:Jmack, I wasn't going to say anything before but since you decided to edit your last post from what was a respectful apology to what is now an childish insult directed at Mr. N I'll go ahead and bring this up.
jmack1944 wrote:The "ad nausea" (and yes, that is the correct spelling) is really a kick in the gonads to someone who has not read the myriad postings. Kinda makes one gun shy to post or reply.
No, you are wrong. Jarvis was right the first time with "ad nauseum". Next time you try to correct somebody I'd make sure you know what you are talking about so you don't end up with your foot in your mouth. And its good that you feel gun shy to post because your lengthy and misinformed post that I replied to before obviously shows that you need to educate yourself a bit further before trying to have these discussions. Its one thing to try and educate oneself by asking questions and another alltogether to try and start discussions by bringing up topics that you seem to think are controversial but know nothing about. The latter is simply an attempt to bring attention to oneself.

Guys, I apologize for having to be unpleasant.
Mr. BTB you are correct. Mr. Jarvis used the correct American English spelling but as I explained to him off forum I was educated under the British Educational System and therefore taught the King's English and "ad nausea" is correct.
It really doesn't matter how the word/phrase is spelled. I was wrong to make the post. There will be no more spelling posts from me.
As far as the editing of the post you refer to I stand by that. I guess my sense of humor doesn't come through very well when I write.
I will take a little time out and post when I have something worthwhile and non-confrontational to add to the forum.
I also apologize for having been unpleasant.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

I can appreciate that reply Jmack, thanks. If your comment towards Natcherly was intended to be in jest I do apologize. I'm glad to see this thread isn't going to turn into a downward spiral of name-calling and pissing contests like I was afraid it might. Anyways, sorry for the derail and back on topic...
Last edited by BTB0923 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

you're all a bunch of bastards.

Oh, are we done? Shoot! :D :D :D

Jmack, that was very gentlemanly of you, welcome aboard.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

Wow, that's scary they can clone it so good! Only a few subtle differences. Does the fake akc 13" have brass liners like the real ones? Also, I would say most Italian stilettos I have or had, the safeties worked pretty well. Not as well as a American/German knives where the safety doesn't fail at all, but very good. Only have had 3 Italian stilettos where the safety was loose. All of them 9 inchers. Every Chinese/Taiwanese stiletto safety I had was poor quality. But the knives never failed to fire, unlike the Italian ones, where at least 5 I have owned have had some difficultly firing. Go figure!
Stay Golden
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Someone gave me a counterfeit AKC stiletto a while back and I gave it to a non knife enthusiast. I did tell him it was a counterfeit. I don't remember much about the knife, but as I recall there was something about it that "just didn't feel/look right." Maybe the shape of the bolsters, maybe something else. But if I didn't know anything about Italian stilettos, I wouldn't have noticed anything.

One thing that's potentially an issue is that the quality control on Italian stilettos has sometimes been spotty. We've all gotten genuine Italian stilettos that are less than perfect--banana blades, blade play, liner gaps, safeties that don't work, shoddy finish on scales, bolsters, etc. So a stiletto having some or all of these problems doesn't necessarily indicate a counterfeit. Another reason to only buy from someone on the Good Ones list or a private party who you know and trust and to be aware of what the genuine logos look like and what the counterfeit logos look like.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

I hope this does not cause controversy but I have never seen an AKC clone. I have seen and purchased several FB stilettos and have found fault with their safeties. The last 6 I purchased had safeties that were so hard to engage I had to actually spread the slit with a nail file to get them to work. Even after doing that I had to use olive oil ( yes olive oil ) to help the safety slide.( I always use olive oil because it has no additives that might harm the knife). I have never had this problem with Chinese or Taiwanese knives. Due to the difference in price I am more apt to buy a non-Italian blade. I am an accumulator so name brand is not that important to me.
Dare I ask where I can get an AKC rip off to compare. If I have asked the wrong question please ignore this post. I am just curious.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

As to where to get AKC clones, I haven't a clue. However, instead of olive oil, which can turn rancid over time, you might look into Quick Release. I have found nothing better to improve the function of a switchblade. It may be available elsewhere, but latama.com should have it.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

natcherly wrote:As to where to get AKC clones, I haven't a clue. However, instead of olive oil, which can turn rancid over time, you might look into Quick Release. I have found nothing better to improve the function of a switchblade. It may be available elsewhere, but latama.com should have it.
Thanks for the tip. You are right about the olive oil. It does leave a distinctive odor.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

whitehorn wrote:Wow, that's scary they can clone it so good! Only a few subtle differences. Does the fake akc 13" have brass liners like the real ones? Also, I would say most Italian stilettos I have or had, the safeties worked pretty well. Not as well as a American/German knives where the safety doesn't fail at all, but very good. Only have had 3 Italian stilettos where the safety was loose. All of them 9 inchers. Every Chinese/Taiwanese stiletto safety I had was poor quality. But the knives never failed to fire, unlike the Italian ones, where at least 5 I have owned have had some difficultly firing. Go figure!
Yes, the fake has brass liners that look to the naked eye to be the same thickness. The safety is tight and works well, but if you look close at the picture it does rub on the scale and has caused a scratch, but I have seen this happen on Italians too.

I have looked closely at the bolsters on both and they look like they could have come out of the same press...Only difference is the fakes are a little duller, but they probably weren't tumbled, or it just may be more age.

When I look into the blade well at the spring/backspring, the fake is finnished better (smoother). The Italion has some rough grind/tooling marks.

Again, this is just a comparison of these 2 particular knives, and are the only 13 inchers I currently own. Other fakes may not compare.
Dare I ask where I can get an AKC rip off to compare. If I have asked the wrong question please ignore this post. I am just curious.
I have no idea. Mine was a prize in a giveaway, and the donar felt pretty bad when we learned it was a fake. He thought it was real. We only figured it out when we got the final word from akc in what to look for in the different blade etch. I think there were quite a few folks who got surprises when they inspected their AKC 13 inchers.

I'll add this...There were a couple dealers that were selling them at the time, and were being up front about them being fakes...Fortunately, a few of us (tom19176 was one) conviced them to pull the product anyway. They did the right thing imo because even though they were disclosing they were fakes, they would have had no control what the buyer did next.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

BTW- I'm sure that there are many dealers who weren't so honest...
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

I do know that one guy from Theknifeauction.com (buicksmasher) got caught selling them knowingly a few times and they kicked him off that site.
Stay Golden
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

whitehorn wrote:I do know that one guy from Theknifeauction.com (buicksmasher) got caught selling them knowingly a few times and they kicked him off that site.
That guy (Buicksmasher) cost me a lot of lost sales. He bid on several knives and then didn't pay. Also turned me into paypal for buying autos thru paypal. I got it all straightened out and also got him straightened out. I tracked him down in Florida at a University and raised a s**t storm to the administration. Haven't heard from him since.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

AHHH.... FYI, BUICKSMASHER IS A SHE, NOT A HE!!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

wonder who's life he ruined :twisted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

jmack1944 wrote:That guy (Buicksmasher) cost me a lot of lost sales. He bid on several knives and then didn't pay. Also turned me into paypal for buying autos thru paypal. I got it all straightened out and also got him straightened out. I tracked him down in Florida at a University and raised a s**t storm to the administration. Haven't heard from him since.
TRYKER wrote:AHHH.... FYI, BUICKSMASHER IS A SHE, NOT A HE!!!
Quoted for posterity. That is some funny sh*t right there :lol:
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408