AKC clones

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jarvis

Re: AKC clones

Post by jarvis »

TRYKER wrote:AHHH.... FYI, BUICKSMASHER IS A SHE, NOT A HE!!!
AKA Tizzybea! :!:
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

BTB0923 wrote:
jmack1944 wrote:That guy (Buicksmasher) cost me a lot of lost sales. He bid on several knives and then didn't pay. Also turned me into paypal for buying autos thru paypal. I got it all straightened out and also got him straightened out. I tracked him down in Florida at a University and raised a s**t storm to the administration. Haven't heard from him since.
Quoted for posterity. That is some funny sh*t right there :lol:
Holy s**t is right Batman!!! The guy I tracked down was a custodial or non-teaching employee at St. Paul College in FLA. Maybe Buicksmasher is a crossdresser. He/she was using the address to receive payments and products.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I believe Tizzy changed "handles" and added a partner :idea:
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Vagrant wrote:I believe Tizzy changed "handles" and added a partner :idea:
Your correct , he is the shill / boyfriend of Brenda . She still owns the business but he does the work.Both are less than honorable to put it politely.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

jarvis wrote:
AKA Tizzybea! :!:
I did a search on Tizzybea. Wish I had been on the forum back then but I will read all of the posts about TB.
I remember buying 2 lightnings from Buicksmasher for $20.Twenty bucks for the 2 of them. Pretty good deal. Also bought 2 of those wicked joker autos for 5 bucks each. I knew they were junk but couldn't resist at that price. I was surprised when I got them that they weren't bad quality and had a lot of fun with them.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Watch this and you will see what makes the difference between the clones and the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvUlVJl9m8
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thanks for posting that link Tom. Now, for those of you new to collecting, here is some additional information. The older gentleman in the video without the beard is Angelo Campolin, affectionately known as Grandpa Campolin. He is in his late 80's and unless something has changed recently, he still makes switchblades. As stated in the video, he has been making switchblades since 1947. I suppose he knows a thing or two about how it's done. Many of us are pleased to own knives made by him, I certainly am. The voice in the video is his grandson, Angelo, who is the youngest person in the final photo in the video. He is a great guy, and makes the Atlanta show every year.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

And if you listen carefully, there are two ways to pronounce Maniago :wink:
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

Tom19176 wrote:Watch this and you will see what makes the difference between the clones and the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvUlVJl9m8
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!
AutoMan

Post by AutoMan »

Hey everybody. It's been a while. Kinda been out of pocket for a while. I just had to chime in here to add my two cents. I bought one of the AKC clones off auction last year. It was discribed as a posible clone on auction but I also wanted one to compare. It was 9" with what looked like rosewood scales. I hate to say it but it was flawless and tight as dick's hat band(what ever that phrase means). :? Being a "posible" clone I also got a heck of a deal on it. On the topic of repeated topics: I'm sure about every senerio of knife topics have been at least touched on at one time or another on this forum. In my opinion, if everytime a newby logged on to ask a question all we need to do is say "search". I don't think thats why we come to this forum each time. It's to maybe get a new or different perspective each time a topic is brought up. Things, opinions, technology, and people change. I noticed a lot of new members since I was here last and that keeps the forum fresh. If it weren't for the new people asking maybe "redunt" questions we might as well just talk about the weather(at least it changes from time to time) :o That's just my thoughts. Good to be back. :D

AutoMan
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Anyone that misrepresents a commercial copyright should be horsewhipped and shot. (In that order!) I enjoy some of the Asian copies of the Italian originals because they are fun to manipulate (the old "snap therapy" quotient) and their inexpensive purchase price. Many of these are surprisingly well manufactured. I like them.

I love the "fun factor" of automatic knives but value their utilitarian factor a well. Most of the time I carry either My Sog Flash II (in auto unfriendly country) and my Sog Tac II Auto where I can. Both are exceedingly sharp and perform more cutting tasks than I care to count.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
RollinRobert

Chinese switchblades

Post by RollinRobert »

jmack1944 wrote:I hope this does not cause controversy but I have never seen an AKC clone. I have seen and purchased several FB stilettos and have found fault with their safeties. The last 6 I purchased had safeties that were so hard to engage I had to actually spread the slit with a nail file to get them to work. Even after doing that I had to use olive oil ( yes olive oil ) to help the safety slide.( I always use olive oil because it has no additives that might harm the knife). I have never had this problem with Chinese or Taiwanese knives. Due to the difference in price I am more apt to buy a non-Italian blade. I am an accumulator so name brand is not that important to me.
Dare I ask where I can get an AKC rip off to compare. If I have asked the wrong question please ignore this post. I am just curious.
If you are interested in a reliable foreign website to buy a rip-off to compare, message me.