Mikov fans...What do you think of the new Microtechs?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jorvik

Re: Mikov fans...What do you think of the new Microtechs?

Post by jorvik »

This is a spoof..............right?......I honestly can't see this happening.maybe if they put a hole in the blade they could call it a spyderco collaberation. Personally I think somebody got their jollies playing with photoshop
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Nope. It's on Microtechs site. The new OSS "Cobra".

http://www.microtechknives.com/osscobra.html

( Maybe Paragons next knife should be called the OMG Scarab or the WTF Ultratech.)

A new "design" has been rumored for months. This was quick. But then again most of the design work seems to have been done already.

Deffinately a Mikov design rip but many have said it's an old design and any patents that may have been are probaly long expired.

Still, as much as MT pisses, moans and files lawsuits against companies that copy their products, it seems a little cheap to me.

Nobody with any ethics agrees in China copying US designs but China has no laws to protech US makers from them. The US does have laws against things like this but, in this case, any claim Mikov may have could be worthless.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Patents not withstanding, that just ain't right. :evil:
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

jarvis wrote:Patents not withstanding, that just ain't right. :evil:
It's pretty much a blatent rip off. Makes me think about reconsidering our possition on not selling knockoffs. MT knockoffs anyway.

Rumor has it that the price tag is going to be in the $400.00 range. OUCH!! Imagine what it would be it they had spent any time or money on R+D. :roll:

MT could have at LEAST changed the handle shape so it didn't scream rip off.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Most of us disapprove of the dual springs Mikov went to, MT's "upping the ante" withj quad springs, does not impress me :wink:
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

I've often wondered how close the internals of a Microtech are to a Concoord, NATO etc. If the mechanism for the Concord is largly similar and old enough to be unprotected why don't other companies jump on the DA OTF band wagon?

Maybe Mikov should look into a DA OTF. :wink:

jarvis

Post by jarvis »

horizonod wrote:Maybe Mikov should look into a DA OTF. :wink:
Been there, done that.
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15511
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

There is a demand for a quality OTF but, there is far less demand for what a quality OTF costs :idea:
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

all I can say is, wow. I've read this entire thread, and I can argue both ways on this one (as I can about most things). That being said, if Microtech truly goes after clones as strongly as I've heard, this "just ain't right" to put it bluntly. That's a Mikov. No 2 ways about it. Add another 3 springs or whatever, but it's a Mikov. I personally own one Mikov, and if I had to choose a single auto from my collection, it would be the Mikov in a heartbeat. It is the one auto I can throw in my pocket and NEVER worry if it will fire. It just works. Everytime. I have the plain black swordsman logo'd single blade version, and it is perfect in it's simplicity. I just love popping the spring out to show people. This thread makes me want to buy another Mikov! Thinking of a nice white-scaled one this time. I'm curious to see what comes of this.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Vagrant wrote:Most of us disapprove of the dual springs Mikov went to, MT's "upping the ante" withj quad springs, does not impress me :wink:
I agree sir ! .....just four more things to break ! :wink:
Bama

Post by Bama »

Wow, not attempt to alter the desing. Probably rediculously over priced like all the rest of their knives. :roll:
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

What Microtech wants to do is not exactly like building a mosque at ground zero but similarly, very tasteless. I think I need another Mikov. 8)

China-land already copied MT's Tackyon balisong so be sure they will copy MTs Mikov ripoff. That is fouled up!
monstro

Post by monstro »

I dont' remember that much of an uproar when BM copied the Ultratech...

...that said, it marks a low point for MT. Both in terms of creativity and integrity, but then original designs are few and far between in the cutlery industry.

If Tony can't think of anything new, maybe they could bring back the Amphibian, heck if they made it a big bigger like they have been with other models, i could probably live with that.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

And one can be yours for the low, low price of $1650.00! :lol:
http://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-Items-- ... tech+cobra
PIRATE INC.

Post by PIRATE INC. »

tanto wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

I have just sent link to Mikov and will see what they need to say. I think the design is not protected (I have seen Mikov clones before) but as BTB0923 said, why would MT needed to steal ideas...
So they can charge 1500$ for it. Then do a 'limited edition' run and charge 3 grand for those ones.
TAKE WHAT'CH CAN!
GIVE NOTHIN' BACK!