Greetings to you all

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Greetings to you all

Post by tr4252 »

I'm new at this; have owned 4 autos in my lifetime. 2 beat up hand-me-downs, a keychain 4 1/2" for which I recently had to make a new (kick?) spring, and most recently, a 9" stiletto purchased from a source I'm sure you all know quite well.

The 9" was of good quality for the money, but I was not satisfied, have taken it apart, and intend to rebuild the thing with some modifications. I'm
writing this now because a chance to get the feedback from so many knowledgeable people is too good an opportunity to pass up. I'll list what it is I intend to do, and if any of you have comments, suggestions, or insults it would be most welcome. By way of explanation, I run a tool & die shop, have many years in the trade, and have built several fixed blade knives, firearms, and misc. mechanical contraptions over the span of 20 plus years.

Oh, by the way, that's not me in the picture, just a pretty girl I associate the word "stiletto" with, for some reason.

Here's what I'm planning to do:
1. Make new (solid) bolsters to replace the stamped ones that came with the knife. I want them to be flush with the scales, which seem to be about as thin as they can be already. The way they fit drives me crazy, they should be flush (you guys who work on guns might relate to this), in my opinion.
2. Replace the .035" brass liners with .060" brass, to add a little stiffness, mass, and mainly, because of item 3 below.
3. I'll be replacing the rivets with SS fillister head screws, 1-72 size, because I like to be able to take things apart, for repairs, tuning up, etc. So I'll need to tap the liners and still have some hope of a reasonable thread depth.
4. Substitute a steel bushing for the rivet on which the blade pivots. the existing system seems a little hit-or-miss to me, though "time honored", I'm sure. The bushing would be tapped through, held by a screw or screws, and sized for blade width plus a frog hair of clearance.

Your expertise could no doubt save me many hours of re-inventing the square wheel. I've got many other minor modifications in mind, but resolved to keep this as short as I can.

tr4252
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

TR4252
See that was pretty easy huh. Now the hard part comes when all the crazy ass canad......er I mean members start saying hello. You'll think you had stumbled into a 19th century Lunatic Asylum. Just remember that I am the only normal one on here. Oh yeah Jim D you might remember him from Leave it to Beaver He was the father Hugh Baumont he goes by Jim now though. Vagrant has his lucid moments also but as for the rest of the yahoo's on here your gonna get along just fine.
PB
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

tr4252,

Welcome to the forum!! You have described some modifications that many of us would love. Your professional expertise will be a real asset to our community.

Jim
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Welcome to the forum. When you get that one done, let me know. I'll send you a couple of dozen you can spruce up for me. :wink: Hope you will post a pic when complete.
Plastered Bastard

Post by Plastered Bastard »

TR,
This is quite an interesting venture you're talking here...something I've dreamed of myself. Everything you plan to do sounds awesome and very do-able. If you can pull this off successfully you'll probably have people lined up to buy one of your creations. I definitely want one!

There's only a handful of guys making handmade, high quality stilettos and I would suggest getting in touch with some of them to get the real scoop on what you're taking on. I know it's a little more complex than one might think to get these knives to work properly.
The guys I would suggest getting in touch with would be:
BURN (Paul Panak)
Nemo
Bill DeShivs
George Cameron
Lee Reynolds (LCR)
Merlin

I'm sure you'll find at least a couple of these guys willing to discuss your project and tell you what will and won't work. These guys are the best.
I truly hope you do this and wish you success.
Keep us updated.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces ~ American Proverb

Plastered B.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Plastered B.,

I too have dreamed of the things cited here. The difference between TR and me is that I can think of these things, and (as a tool and die maker)TR can think of them and go into the shop and actually DO them.

Jim
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Welcome tr4252,
I can hardly match PBs welcome so I won't try and seeing that you are well East of Montana I'll say Hang your hat and stay awhile, Enjoy! This is your lucky day tr4252, Over on the Knife-101 forum, I just read where Nemo is about ready to start a class on tearing down and rebuilding a stiletto. That would be a good place to talk to him about your ideas anyway. I followed him through a class on building the Mikov and got a lot out of it. Check it out!
Heres where you go to start. http://www.delphiforums.com/dir-faq/index.htm
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Hey TR; Welcome on, I hope you post some pics of your completed project over on blade pics.
Take Care
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome TR4252, don't let PB scare you off, he's one of the good guys despite his evil appearance. :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Post by 666 »

TR...Actually, this forum has two normal members. Welcome TR..Always good to have another New Yorker in da house. Gets lonely around here due to many Anti-yorkites. Please post a pic when you done with your knife..would love to see it.
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

tr,

Great! Finally a forum member who knows how a stiletto should be built and can actually do it. I/we will be anxious to see the finished product. :D

The Falcon 8)
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome,
Based on what you plan to do I feel it's almost impossible to offer any suggestions, but two conceivable ideas are; a small ball bearing for the pivot, and a simple single piece [rocker type with coil spring] switch instead of the two piece. Make a mount for it that is adjustable so if the point ever "stands proud" of the handle [when closed] it can be adjusted back down. [The kick spring is one forging with the backspring on stanard models but two seperate pieces on the 'do it yourself models, two is better].
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This come close to perfection. A debate will ensue over blade replacement if possible. If so the carbon steel vs stainless argument will reach new heights. A compromise of D-2 [often called "semi-stainless"]
is very interesting. Your ideas have obviously got our attention, successful completion will have sincere respect and offers to purchase.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

welcome mr tr4252!

i just recieved an 11" and a 9" unassembled...all the things you want to do, i need to do to these!

i'll be looking forward to all the good advice from our many experts, including the bottomless pit of knowledge, mr pushbutton!

don't listen to mr vagrant, he'll have you turn it into a LL :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

LOL
No but I might consider a true Stiletto type guard, not "s" shaped but with both sides pointed forward. [A folding trigger like some early firearms would be very unusual instead of a button or lever].