Only One Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Only One Switchblade

Post by jim d, »

Over the past several months that I have been collecting I have shown my knives to various friends, co-workers etc. Some responded with something like "I have always really wanted one of those" or "Where can I get one of those?" In response to their queries, I have provided about a dozen people with a switchblade. The key operative here is "a" switchblade. All of these fine folks are perfectly content owning only one switchblade. They all really like their knife, but have no desire to own any more. I simply can not relate to this, and suspect that you other forum members can't either. However, I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience where someone really wants one and only one switch, and when they get it they do not want any more.

Jim
Last edited by jim d, on Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Hey Jim,that sounds like a pretty alien idea to me,just ONE switchblade? :shock: Cheers the spotlight kid.
Qvar

Post by Qvar »

It probably all boils down to boys & their toys and your friends wanting one for the novelty of the opening & not appreciating the variety and detail of the various types.
For me it's balis, my friends would love one but thats where it ends, they just don't get why I'd spend so much or want so many different types.
I haven't got an auto yet but I'm hoping they don't have the same addictive qualities that a bali has cos I'm planning on getting one soon just for my collection and I don't want another pocket emptying vice. :P

OT: Any recommendations for a first auto, thinking of either a Microtech UDT or the Voros & Scahtz one, both from knifeshop.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Kind of complicated, recommending an auto, depends on your tastes or what you will use it for. You can also try http://www.pvk.com.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Jim D,

I wonder if any of your friends were once kids? Maybe you could get a discount rate for all thier group therapy.

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

one switchblade?....ONE switchblade? How could anybody who wants an automatic knife only want one. If you only had one switch what would you do if you lost it or if it broke or got stolen? Then you'd have no switchblade. Just the thought of that is making me feel a little uneasy. It probably wouldn't phase the 'only one switchblade' folks though Mr. Jim.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I think the greatest argument for having more than one is to spread the spring stress around. If you just flip one all the time the spring will break eventually. Better to have plenty. Then you can have a mass switch clicking party with your friends.

We recently had a communal breakfast where we had a mass potato peeling for fried potatoes, using all switches. I was glad I had so many!
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

I've had some luck selling clone autos I get off BA to co-workers, and may have one of them hooked on switches...he bought three last week. And yeah, I do mark up the price. I gotta pay for all my real switches somehow!
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

We're all addicts so we don't relate to normal people. It's like an alcoholic doesn't understand when another person at a party is offered a second drink and they say, "No thanks, I'm already feeling this one."

The Falcon
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Isn't owning just one switchblade like owning just one gun?
Or just one vehicle?
Or just one fishing rod?
Or ----- well you get the picture.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. jim d,

Mos' interesting question.
I have given stilleto's to about 8 people - 5 men & 3 women. Only 1 of the men actually developed a "minor addiction." He purchased maybe a dozen. Most of the rest were satisfied with one. My best friend in the whole world loves switchblades almost as much as me - However, she doesn't buy any. Doesn't have to! I buy them for her. She has a small collection (about a dozen). I gave her daughter (nice ass) a taiwanese stiletto and she had to have an OTF (which, of course, I provided). The other lady told me she keeps hers (black acrylic) in her nightstand and enjoys pulling it out and clicking it (thinking good thoughts of me, naturally).

Don't know what causes this addiction, but I sure have it! Own about 150 and I have only been collecting for 1 year! Try to quit, but keep seeing something I like and don't have!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?