Inexpensive OTFs

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mikem

Inexpensive OTFs

Post by mikem »

"You get what you pay for." I know this. I really do.

But I'm not going to spend $250 - up to $1,000 or more for a good OTF only to find out I don't like the configuration and that, for fast opening purposes, my Spyderco Endura with the wave is as good or even better than an OTF.

But I do want to check out OTFs to see if I like them. I think the way to go is buy a cheapo and carry it for a while.

So the question is, which is the best of the cheap OTFs? I mean they may all suck but certainly some are better than others, right? There are quite a few around for sale and a lot of them are mentioned around different forums.

The 3 most prominently mentioned are the Thunder, the Titan I, II and III and the Lightning.

Of these, I keep reading the Lightnings made in China are really poor and the ones made in Taiwan are "ok."

Some like the Titans but no one ever differentaites between the I, II or III. Is the Titan line any good at all, and if so which one of the I, II and III seems best?

Some say the Thunder OTFs are all right, others say they suck.

If there are others that are good enough to take for an OTF "test run" not included among these, please mention them and say why they might be OK.

I don't care if any of these OTFs last only 2 months. I just want to get a feel for this type of knife.

Thanks.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Inexpensive OTFs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Then I suggest buying an Italian OTF. The Italians were the innovators who came up with the D/A OTF design.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

I have one of these and it's by far the best clone I've ever seen. Very heavy, very sturdy (for a clone) http://www.bladebid.com/asp/detail.asp?id=164617
mikem

Post by mikem »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Then I suggest buying an Italian OTF. The Italians were the innovators who came up with the D/A OTF design.
Thanks Bill,

I'm not ruling out the others I mentioned but I looked around for Italian OTFs and can't find any. Could you kindly point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I carry a thunder and have for almost a year now. I like it quite a bit. You should look around at bladeplay, they have some good ones there
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

mikem wrote:
Bill DeShivs wrote:Then I suggest buying an Italian OTF. The Italians were the innovators who came up with the D/A OTF design.
Thanks Bill,

I'm not ruling out the others I mentioned but I looked around for Italian OTFs and can't find any. Could you kindly point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike
http://www.skm.to/pages/skm/pager/m/3.html
The "little 7" and "medium 8" are by far my favorites :wink:
mikem

Post by mikem »

Vagrant wrote: http://www.skm.to/pages/skm/pager/m/3.html
The "little 7" and "medium 8" are by far my favorites :wink:
I found some of the Italians to look at, including the above models and the Blackfinger 777. Don't know if I like the plastic firing switches. They look kinda flimsy. They may not be, of course, but some of the others I mentioned in the first post have metal switches that appear to be more substantial.

it would be great if someone here has owned some Italian OTFs AND some of the Taiwan OTFs and could offer a comparison.

Or else I'd love to hear from guys who spent less than $100 for an OTF, good or bad, and wanted to tell us of their experience.
SRD115

Post by SRD115 »

I've got both the Titan 3 and a Taiwan made Lightning. Both are good looking knives, double action and open and close with a strong snap. Of the two, I prefer the Lightning, though not by much. Both also have minimal blade play when open, though it's there. The Lightning just seems a little more solid. Can't comment on EDC as I live in Calif., so they are display and home use only.
For a reasonabley priced single action OTF, you might want to look at the Paragon ATKO 10. Those can be had for about 180.00 to 190.00. Real nice knife. Comparing the Paragon to the above, fit and finish are just a bit nicer, no blade play and just feels like a more solid knife.
Happy hunting.
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

yeah, Stu babe had a $55 Titan III 2 for 1 sale last month that I jumped on. Glad I did. Gawdawllmytee inexpensive. I would like that scarab clone as well. 8)
Knife Crazied

Post by Knife Crazied »

I have a mini AKC red OTF for auction right here at this link. I also have the Titans for auction and sale in my store.

http://www.sharperdeals.net/auction_det ... n_id=36444