Mini lever kit blade peek question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wild zebra

Mini lever kit blade peek question

Post by wild zebra »

So I'm pretty much an amateur at this but I'm putting this kit together. Got the scales on , and have it together for testing and my blade is peeking. I did not file the pin or anything. How can I remedy this?? Thanks
gramps

Re: Mini lever kit blade peek question

Post by gramps »

Please show us a picture. All your pins are in?...It doesn't sound too good! Sometimes when putting those kits together just for temporary fit purposes, doesn't really give you a true fit until you tighten everything up, because of the pressure that the spring is putting on all the rest of the parts that are still loose. Even though you may have the pins all in, it still isn't really tight... But this sounds like it will never be right, even once you do peen everything together tight. Sometimes these kits just don't match with the parts that the kit was package with. Say you had a number of kits, I bet you could mix match the different parts to make a more perfect fit. With this one particular kit that you have, it seems that the square hole in the blade is too large or the square plug that's on the lever is too small. In either case, you can't stretch the plug or shrink the hole in the blade. Hey, unless you wanted to whack on the plug and try to mushroom it then file it down to fit more perfect but that plug is super hard metal...I don't know!...What does everybody else say to do?...Send it back perhaps, where you got, it and try for another one?
If I only knew!
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

well it is not peened together and I do have 3 kits and the blade holes all seem fairly large. Hopefully Muskrat Man could interject. He has made a few. How does one typically fix this. By "mushrooming" the peg? Don't wanna give away any trade secrets. I just don't wanna peen it together if I can do something now.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Yea, where's muskrat man, Straydog, eastcoastsniper, where are these guys :( ? Because I may be totally wrong about what I'm saying...I don't know nothing about this stuff! I'm just taking an educated guess :idea: . Don't lessen to me :| , I'll get you all screwed-up. :shock: :roll:
If I only knew!
gramps

Post by gramps »

I KNOW!!! :idea: Go directly over to Bill and ask him. 8) If anybody knows about this stuff, he certainly does. :!: Gee, I don't know why I didn't mention that in the beginning. :roll:
Yep!...That's your best bet, ask Bill DeShivs.
If I only knew!
gramps

Post by gramps »

I'll tell-ya, it gives one a whole new respect for those guys that put these kits together, don't it! 8)
If I only knew!
gramps

Post by gramps »

Try it assembled without the spring in it, so that there is no tension on the system.
Then on a flat surface with the knife sitting on it's back spine without the spring in it, see if you can lift the blade up past the liner. If so then you have a kit that will have problems with blade peek. but if not, then this is telling you that, once the kit is all tightened-up it will not peek. You see, it is very difficult to tell when the spring is putting so much stress against the system without it being all peened together. So you have to simulate without the spring in order to tell if you're going to peek. It's called a dry run.
But hey, I could be wrong about everything. So please don't get mad at me, I'm just trying to help.
If I only knew!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It should not peek when everything is tightened up properly. If everything is not tight, there is no way to tell.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

Well I said heck with it and peened it together. Peeks just a hair or just about even?? Now what? I'll get a pic up.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Peen it tighter.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
muskrat man

Post by muskrat man »

I have assembled four and the blades peeked on all of them, to fix the peeking you need to peen in the sear hole slightly so the tip will set below the liners. The 9" models wouldn't lock up and had to have the sear hole filed out, go figure.
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

gramps wrote: In either case, you can't stretch the plug or shrink the hole in the blade.
Well....I'd go right back to the source and get one of those new fangled HDC stretching machines.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

is it caused by the sear hole being deformed by being punched or has it been drilled and over filed?
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

Yep peened it all together and still peeking. Wished I woulda waited alittle longer to til you posted MM. So you're saying peen the sear hole in the blade correct?
muskrat man

Post by muskrat man »

yes, I hve one more left I'll try to snap some pics tonight on the fix