Leverlock With a Swing Guard?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Furcs

Leverlock With a Swing Guard?

Post by Furcs »

While admiring my Tiny Jr knife my imagination got my brain to wander enough to picture a good looking , smaller leverlock like this one with a small swing guard. Maybe they've made them in the past, maybe they make them now but I know I've never seen one. But I love a swing guard and I love a leverlock, so I wonder if there's a reason they aren't made?
Or, are they out there and I'm just missing them?

Maybe it's the location of the release and lock on the lever that makes it impossible? Or there is no demand for the Swinglock? Or would it be a Swinglever, Leverswing, ...or ?

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there, and hope you are all having a good weekend!
javacupper

Re: Leverlock With a Swing Guard?

Post by javacupper »

The Hubertus Guardian is a swingguard leverlock.
Attachments
guardian-micarta(large).jpg
guardian-micarta(large).jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 8734 times
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Good point, javacupper. I do remember that now, and I'm sure it's a good knife. I guess it's the look I suppose, and unlike my 2 1/4" Hubies, to me their levelock-swing looks 'clunky'.

I'm just liking the look that I see when imagining the Tiny Jr-type knife in the dark horn with a small swing guard added. I think it would be a real good looking and useful knife.

You got the Tiny Jr knife. Hold it out, lay it on your desk, or... and imagine it with a small swing guard. Yes? No?
Even closed, in my mind, I like the look.

Maybe it's the Italian vs German look that I'm not feeling with the Hubertus. I don't know.

Just a fun topic to kick around .
Last edited by Furcs on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunner

Post by gunner »

Back around the 60's Bonsa made a swing guard lever lock much like your describing. German, but it looked very Italian. These are pics from an old sharperdeals auction, not mine.

SPRINGER KÖNIG
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Thanks, gunner . I know you're getting my point,

It's not that I'm looking for one, unlesss it's "off the shelf''. Just thinking about the look and idea to see if it's been made, or better yet still made and available.

Am I off base in my thought or taste ? Smaller ('Tiny' size) slim leverlock with a small swing guard.?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I love my Guardian. It's the thick guards and beefy look and feel that attracted me in the first place.
I have not heard any bad things about Guardians,mine has gorgeous stag,it's tight,sits perfect when closed and the guards are absolutely tight when open and closed.

I bought four along with a few other knives directly from Mr. Ritter at Hubertus.(very nice man)

I agree,it would be great to see more levers with swings,maybe a Guardian about an inch and a half longer.
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

I think I'll reconsider the Guardian. Thanks, all.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Viking45 wrote:I love my Guardian. It's the thick guards and beefy look and feel that attracted me in the first place. I have not heard any bad things about Guardians,mine has gorgeous stag,it's tight,sits perfect when closed and the guards are absolutely tight when open and closed. I bought four along with a few other knives directly from Mr. Ritter at Hubertus.(very nice man)
That may be why your Guardian is perfect. The subject of imperfect Guardians has come up here in the forum more than once.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Now, since the Chinese just have to copy knives(and having seen their designs, I know why), why don't they copy unavailable types, like the Bonsas?

The craftsmen of Taiwan can certainly do such work-the copy of the old Wingen Gravity Knife is pretty enough, though, like the original, basicly suited for light duty only(it's too thin, and the handle is slippery, carries well, but won't do serious cutting, any more than a Scout knife will)

I've seen copies of classic Marbles patterns-the Chinese own the name, I guess-that are by no means shabby examples of the cutler's craft. I can't tell you how they hold up to hard use, but they look like the originals. And those originals were damned fine knives.

There are many scarce or high priced collector's items that could be reproduced at a using price.

Share the joy?
Life has no value, Death has a price
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Also have a couple of Guardians and agree with Jarvis, not 100% but maybe their imperfections give them some character.
Now imagine a Leverletto with swing guards. Maybe an interesting possibility.
What do you think, Bill??
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Great to see you back Razor :)

Jim
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

A 9" SG LLO would get a tightwad like me to raid the piggybank. I'm surprised that hasn't already been done.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have played with the concept. The Leverletto does not readily work with folding guards. I may play with it more when I get time.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Hint! Hint!: Copy the Bonsa! Copy the Bonsa! All the design work is done and ganzmetal(engine turned) knives are sadly absent today.

I should imagine that other scale materials could be incorporated.

Bill DeShivs told me some time ago that the Leverletto was conceived as a swing guard, but that it wouldn't work properly, so it ended up with bow-tie guards-seems swing guards are difficult to design, and require building the knife around the guard to get it to work right.

I'll trust Bill, he's got the know-how and the experience- what he says, goes!
Life has no value, Death has a price
gunner

Post by gunner »

Sounds like a great idea to me!! A leverletto swing guard could easily become a favorite of mine. If it does happen, I sure hope on the production version they make sure to have nickel silver floating guards. The one thing I dislike about the modern Italian swing guards (not including the big Campolins) is that the guard material matches the blade instead of matching the bolsters as they should and originally did.
I agree with krakenten, it does look like Bonsa already did the design work!! 8) But, who's got a nice example they'd be willing to sacrifice to use as a pattern? I'd be hesitant...if I was lucky enough to own one!
SPRINGER KÖNIG