NEED HELP...DO THESE KNIVES REALLY EXIST

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
QUOTE THE RAVEN

NEED HELP...DO THESE KNIVES REALLY EXIST

Post by QUOTE THE RAVEN »

HOPING ONE OF YOU KNOWS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. Years ago my friend had a knife I have never seen since. I have looked everywhere to buy one but no luck.

The knike is a front opening knife, push the button on the knife and an approx. 6" ice pick springs out the top with incredible force....not like the ones you see with a blade that will bounce off it's "subject". And to "reload" the blade you had to really apply tremendous force in order for it to depress the spring and reload for it's next opening. I am looking for one with either the ice pick or the blade but having no luck so far...infact never seen one like it ever again!

Anyone ?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: NEED HELP...DO THESE KNIVES REALLY EXIST

Post by Vagrant »

The forces applied, ensure that such a design will wear rapidly [self-destruct] so it was probably a limited production [or one of a kind] item and finding another is doubtful :idea:
QUOTE THE RAVEN

Post by QUOTE THE RAVEN »

Excellent referral...very helpful... thank you. I sent them an email asking about the strength of the spring...will report back when I get a response!

quote="whippersnapper"]Not 6" but....

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Guard-Fa ... lack--3208
http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Guard-Fa ... pike--5176[/quote]
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

What possible diffence does it make how strong the spring is, as long as it opens the knife?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

Agree with bill. It is going to get the job done either way.
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Reality check :wink:
I'm sure we have all heard "stories" of spring knives ["Stilettos"] that would "go through a telephone book" [or 2x4] :lol: FICTION :!:
Such a blade would need an industrial hydraulic press, to reset :idea:
[And the equal and opposite "recoil" would BREAK several wrist/hand bones when the button was pushed] :lol:
Spring strength is [more or less] limited to what you can pull back with ONE finger :idea:
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

Vagrant wrote:Reality check :wink:
I'm sure we have all heard "stories" of spring knives ["Stilettos"] that would "go through a telephone book" [or 2x4] :lol: FICTION :!:
Such a blade would need an industrial hydraulic press, to reset :idea:
[And the equal and opposite "recoil" would BREAK several wrist/hand bones when the button was pushed] :lol:
Spring strength is [more or less] limited to what you can pull back with ONE finger :idea:

GOSPEL!
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I recall seeing something like that. The one I saw was in a black steel tube-like body with checkering(?) maybe. I know very little about it but they do exist for sure.

The nastiest OTF I have ever seen was a Russian Prison knife. It looked like the old pogo-sticks with dual springs and a sturdy steel frame and I'm not talking about the one made from AK parts. This thing had some serious "overkill" springs and I think the idea behind it was that it 'would' bust through the ribcage of some large-type individual named Igor.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Viking45 wrote: I'm not talking about the one made from AK parts.
These were NOT made from AK parts. There is not a single identifiable AK part on them. Anyone who has ever looked at one and field-stripped an AK knows that already :wink:
They were probably made "this side of the pond" most likely in someones basement/garage workshop :idea:
There WAS a Russian ballistic knife that actually shot the blade, a considerable distance but many of these were cloned "stateside" and the ATF had them banned :roll:
But, these needed a hydraulic press to reset/reload/re-cock, not ideal in an emergency since you had to wait until a machineshop opened and had time to do the job :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Viking
You are describing the original "Guardfather." It was spring powered for about 3/4 inch, then the blade moved by inertia.
The magic, penetrating blade doesn't exist as a production item.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

The Russian prison knife I am talking about was very,very roughly made from "found" metal parts such as flat stock probably robbed from a bed frame or something,it looked as if the guy filed the parts on concrete. The blade was a simple piece of flat steel that was ground to a point and the two springs were quite bulky,possibly the diameter of your finger.
This thing was hideous but whoever made it had some time on his hands and was pretty clever.
Don't think it had a pocket clip :lol:

Oh yeah Bill,you are right about the other thing,I had forgot it was called the Guardfather.
Click on the pic for a full-size view.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've seen the "Russian Prison Knife" it IS CRUDE :!:
But are they REALLY Russian :?: :lol:
SOF magazine said probably/positively NOT [depending on which article] :wink:
The story keeps changing - 1st they were from AK parts when that was proved to be fiction, they were prison made etc, etc. :lol:
Two more likely possible sources:
1. Made HERE by someone with limited skills/equipment and LOTS of time on his hands :wink:
2. Made in the Orient :wink:
They ARE [just] consistant enough that they ARE machine made. NOT made from prison scroungings, late at night in a cell :idea: