Good auto knife sharpener

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Matt757

Good auto knife sharpener

Post by Matt757 »

hi there, i just got one of Gil Hibben's autos from nicnac.net and it is amazing, fires great, locks up TIGHT, finish it great, and just feels good to hold. but it is not sharp enough for my taste, anyone know of someone i could ship it to to have them sharpen it for me, as i do not trust myself with a knife like that and pretty much jsut dont wanna mess it up.
thank you in advance.
Jeff

Re: Good auto knife sharpener

Post by Jeff »

possibilities:
Bill D
The Tourist
Dick C...............
Leverlock switchblades
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

if your planing on carrying it you are going to have to sharpen it sometime, a lot of the guys here use the Lanski sharpening system where the blade is clamped down and the stones are connected to rods so that you allways get the angle you want
vernfonk

Post by vernfonk »

Jeff_75 wrote:possibilities:
Bill D
The Tourist
Dick C...............
I believe The Tourist is attending a Pontification Seminar for the summer and will return in the fall.
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

vernfonk wrote:The Tourist is attending a Pontification Seminar.
...man, the things I do to try and get a nap...

Vernfonk, my advice is to try and make friends here. I thought your comment was trifling, not everyone did.

Matt757, if I'm chosen, I would be happy to sharpen your knife for free. Contact me PM, and a notice goes to my spam trap.
Matt757

Post by Matt757 »

wow i love this place, thank a bunch guys i really appreciate it. and tournist i did send a PM =)
~Matt
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I have always had good luck with my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener. (When I bought mine, it cost about $38.00 4 years ago). It comes with two sets of shapening "elements". A medium set of hones and a set of alumina ceramic crocery sticks. The sytem comes with an instruction video so that you get the proper edge for the proper tool.

Scott
Fishtail Picklock
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Hey Matt.

The Gil Hibben autos are pretty rare and most people would put them away but they are very nice and have a uniquely shaped frame that a guy can really get hold of. If you sharpen it that will effect the "collectability" factor. That said, if you want it hair poppin' sharp, PM me and I'll get er done for ya. :wink:

I have tried every kind of sharpener known to man and the one that is easiest and gives me a "fool proof" razors edge every time is a pull through Furi,.... very similar to most other pull through sharpeners. Problem is that it leaves a nasty looking edge.

Recently I bought some different grit "micron" belts for my 1x42 inch suzie homemaker belt sander. The micron belt is has very fine grit. I use a medium grit then a fine grit then run it on a leather belt with a little white rouge and the hair jumps off my arm in anticipation of the edge getting close to it!! IT'S AWESOME and pretty easy. The micron belts I got off of Ebay for under $10 for 3. I got the leather belt from the same guy and it was about $30.00, I think. The guys user name on Ebay is algarza http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ABRASIVES-A ... QQ_armrsZ1. If you already have a belt sander getting these belts is cheaper than a Lansky or a Sharpmaker and WAY quicker more satisfying. After I sharpened my TR-3 to a mirror razor edge I was so stoked I shaprened every user I could find including the kitchen stuff. Every one will shave a peach with narry a touch.

Can you tell I LOVE MY NEW belts??!!
Last edited by horizonod on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

After all of these years I think the real secret to sharpening is both the man and the machine. Almost 100% of the sharpening supplies I use I have purchased on the 'net. But for most folks they would simply dull their knives further (or ruin them completely) even if I handed them my complete kit.

Sadly, 'experience' is the best teacher for any concept. We don't have the idea of "pay your dues" just because it sounds neat. When I talk about Japanese history books I see people's eyes glaze over. But if they watch me sharpen they all want to know where I buy my stones. And what exactly would they do with a waterstone if I gave them one?

So most people think I'm joshing when I tell them that their public library is the first place to seek sharpening techniques.
IvanLSmith

Post by IvanLSmith »

Hello Everyone,
I am fond of sharpening knives. I like to have knowledge about knife sharpeners and to discuss with others for sharing information.I am using The Ken Onion Knife & Tool Sharpener from Work Sharp presents a new concept in knife sharpening—belt sharpening at home like that of the expensive 2x72-inch slack-belt grinder many custom knifemakers use.
I got knowlegde about it from http://www.knifesharpenersreviews.com/.It recommended me to use this knife sharpener according to my conditions and requirements. When I used ken knife sharpener first time, I thought it was clever and well designed— clever because you could sharpen anything with it, everything from a scalpel to a lawnmower blade.
Motor has a nice variable-speed control function that works similar to a modern drill. Squeeze the trigger to get it going. € The harder you squeeze, the faster it turns. €This manage pinpoint control and instills user confidence. €The belts are easy to swap out. Sharpening with the Ken sharpener is just as easy. Using a drawing motion and starting at the tang, gently pull the blade through until you reach the tip. Repeat several times for each side. Be sure to rest the blade against the guides, which help maintain the consistent angle for professional results.
The rollers easily adjust to give a flat edge grind or can be moved further apart for a convex grind. €There is also a flat platen on the reverse side, allowing for a flat side grind.
It offers the advantages of belt sharpening in one easy, convenient and affordable package. And with the grinding attachments, the versatility and value of this sharpener is greatly increased.I am happy after purchasing it and I am really thankful to them for recommending me this knife sharpener.
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

It's amazing how technology automates knife sharpening nowadays. From electric to robotic knife sharpeners https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/knif ... -sharpener ...

I know most knife enthusiasts would stay away from electric sharpeners as it cut metals that should not be cut, so most would prefer the traditional way using a good whetstone for complete control. I personally like the King and Naniwa Chosera lines of stone knife sharpeners https://kitchenns.com/knife-sharpeners/ as one of the best stones to have.
john

Post by john »

Electric grinding wheel or belt sander if you have never used these it could prove to be a disaster. Use a stone. Tape your blade with heavy duty duct tape exposing only the edge. Now, you won't have to worry about scratching the blade. Take your time work slowly you'll do a great job. And your knife will never be sharper.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Matt757 wrote:hi there, i just got one of Gil Hibben's autos from nicnac.net and it is amazing, fires great, locks up TIGHT, finish it great, and just feels good to hold. but it is not sharp enough for my taste, anyone know of someone i could ship it to to have them sharpen it for me, as i do not trust myself with a knife like that and pretty much just dont wanna mess it up.
thank you in advance.
Hi here is another guy does awesome sharpening ( Tank at TbarK Knives ) he can make them so you can shave with it . ive had tons of knives sharpened by him he does really nice work :)