Add glue to the pivot screw?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

If you've have/had a Magic Knife kit, should you add glue to the pivot screw?

Yes
33%
No
33%
Don't know
33%

Total votes: 9

J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Add glue to the pivot screw?

Post by J-man »

Hey ya'll, you know with the magic knife kits (skm also sells them, but with vaired handles) I had one before with some epxoy (medium strength glue) on the pivot screw just like the instructions said. Anyhow the spring broked into two :cry: anyhow I think epxoy is a strong glue. But if ya don't put in glue the blade eveuntally after ten or twenty clicks it losens up alot, then ya gotta tighten it. If any of you know of a good glue (who've had a magic knife kit/skm do-it-yourself 4") after wards the spring didn't break. Or if you haven't had a kit or any other kit that reccomended glue, a good "Medium Strength glue" and I mean a medium strength glue, not something weak or something strong or cheap and doesn't hold anything for more then a few hours like no-name superglue.
Last edited by J-man on Sun May 26, 2002 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Loctite the blue I believe isn't permanent but you might need a hair dryer to loosen it.
PB
J-man

Post by J-man »

Thats an idea! But I was looking for what kind of glue would be suitble to be a "medium strength" glue.
Thanks for the idea though!
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. J-Man,

Mr. Pushbutton is right. I used red loctite and really had a hard time getting it loose. Use the blue and let it set up for a few days before clicking.

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

J-man,

I've used Super Glue GEL on some stiletto locking pins to eliminate vertical blade wobble. Let it set for 48 hours then break it loose and snap it until it locks up right.
J-man

Post by J-man »

Hey guys thanks for your help and voting etc.. All of those techinques sound good but did your spring snap into two after wards or is it still clicking? Keep in mind I'm working on a 4" one (4 inches open), so it's like a little 2" spring. The kit I had Before I added epxoy and waited for it to set for about 12 hours then clicked it, it work fine for a few weeks then the spring snapped into two :( :cry: !!!!
Well you already heard that story but did your spring snap into two afterwards?
J-man

Post by J-man »

Hey guys thanks for your help and voting etc.. All of those techinques sound good but did your spring snap into two after wards or is it still clicking? Keep in mind I'm working on a 4" one (4 inches open), so it's like a little 2" spring. The kit I had Before I added epxoy and waited for it to set for about 12 hours then clicked it, it work fine for a few weeks then the spring snapped into two :( :cry: !!!!
Well you already heard that story but did your spring snap into two afterwards?