Feds now ban Assisted openers and Flick knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeff

Re: Feds now ban Assisted openers and Flick knives

Post by Jeff »

I might go a step further and memorize my surrounding hunting areas and the inhabitating wildlife so I have an excuse if ever asked simply by if I'm going North, South, East or West while carrying a hunt licence :lol:
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'm hunting [drumroll please] Chupacabra
[Thanx Mr Bear, for a great reason to give 'em] :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If I find one, I'll want BOTH a knife and a gun :idea:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Vagrant wrote:I'm hunting [drumroll please] Chupacabra
[Thanx Mr Bear, for a great reason to give 'em] :lol:
That's hilarious, Thats a great one!. :lol:
The Chupacabra or Chupacabras (pronunciation: /tʃupa'kabɾa/, from the Spanish words chupar, meaning "to suck", and cabra, meaning "goat"; literally "goat sucker"), also called El Chupacabra or El Chupacabras in Spanish, is a legendary cryptid rumored to inhabit parts of the Americas. It is associated more recently with sightings of an allegedly unknown animal in Puerto Rico (where these sightings were first reported), Mexico, and the United States, especially in the latter's Latin American communities.
Leverlock switchblades
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

I think CA is under 2"

Maybe tell 'em the knife blade is normally 1.9" but it's just really happy to see ya! :D
vernfonk

Post by vernfonk »

Vagrant wrote:Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, and the democratic national commitee ALL depend[ed] on this reaction :evil:
Exactly
gt0915

Post by gt0915 »

The Tourist wrote:
gt0915 wrote:They've got tough search and seizure powers as far as the penalties are concerned.
Are these "paper laws" or are they rigorously enforced?

"
These are rigorously enforced and have severe penalties as well as monetary penalties behind them,

The existing criminal offences that are most relevant to carrying knives are the
following:
! It is an offence to carry an offensive weapon without lawful excuse. A knife is an offensive weapon by definition. If the accused person
claims to have a lawful excuse, then he or she has to prove it. It is generally not a lawful excuse to carry a knife for self-defence. The
maximum penalty is a fine of $2,500 or 6 months imprisonment or both.

! It is an offence to possess a prohibited weapon and 13 categories of knives are prohibited. These are listed in the appendix. The maximum penalty is a fine of $10,000 or 2 years imprisonment or both.

! It is an offence to have a knife with intent to use it, or to permit another to use it, to kill or harm another person. The maximum penalty is 15 or
10 years imprisonment depending on whether the intention was killing or lesser harm.

! It is an offence to be armed at night with a dangerous or offensive weapon (which includes a knife) intending to use it to commit an offence against another person or certain other offences. The maximum penalty is 7 or 10 years depending on the offender’s criminal history.

So yes they jump on this law prity well
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

Well, I read that Texas vs. that one kid article. According to that.any knife that folds or closes into a handle or sheath is a switchblade. Johnny Cash was right, "They're out to get you" They have killed the auto industry, why not the knife industry as well?
Stay Golden
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

They banned butterflies from import last year, but benchmade still sells them with no auto form to fill out, except they won't ship them to California. 8)
Stay Golden
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

I found out about this thru STU711.
Stay Golden
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

That is unusual and interesting. I thought I could order a Benchmade balisong to Ca. from here if I wanted one.
http://www.knifeworks.com/shipping-1.aspx
Leverlock switchblades
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

I am obivously new to this forum and joined for this very subject. The new ruling is violently disgusting and I have voiced my opinion to my governing officials and customs agents as defined via akti.org. I of course made my opinion known in a respectful manner. I truly hope the fine people in this forum will rise to the occasion and make these opinions known. WE SHOULD NOT LET OUR KNIVES GO!
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Butterflies have been banned for years from import. Sal Glesser from Syderco paid $400,000 in fines and mechandise to aviod jail time last year for having parts imported for his butterfly knives....
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

For those who think they never enforce these laws, here you go:

OAKLAND - LAWFUEL - American Law Newswire - United States Attorney S...

Prosecutions
North America
Source: US Department of Justice

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007

OAKLAND - LAWFUEL - American Law Newswire - United States Attorney Scott N. Schools announced that Spyderco, Inc., a Colorado corporation, pleaded guilty and was sentenced today to mailing butterfly knives, which are nonmailable, to pay a $75,000 criminal fine, a $125 special assessment, and to forfeit all such knives seized by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement from its corporate offices in Golden, Colorado (estimated to be valued at over $400,000). The guilty plea and sentence is the result of an investigation by United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement ("ICE").

In pleading guilty, Spyderco admitted that from June 2005 through January 2007, it had mailed butterfly knives, after importing the knife components from Taipei, Taiwan, through the Port of San Francisco and the Port of Oakland, to Golden, Colorado. The U.S. Customs and Border Patrol had issued a ruling to Spyderco holding that these knives fit the definition of "switchblade knives" as an imported knife "with a blade which opens automatically by operation of inertia, gravity, or both" and were therefore not allowed into the United States pursuant to the Switchblade Knife Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1241-1245, and were further not to be mailed in the United States.

Spyderco agreed to issue a Notice of Recall on its internet site for these butterfly knives and to mail this recall notice to reasonably identifiable customers. Spyderco also agreed not to import, transport, distribute, manufacture, sell, introduce, or attempt to introduce into interstate commerce knives defined as switchblades under the Switchblade Knife Act, in violation of the law.

The sentence was handed down by U.S. Magistrate Judge Wayne D. Brazil following the corporate guilty plea to one violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1716(j)(1), a class A misdemeanor.

Maureen Bessette is the Assistant U.S. Attorney who prosecuted the case with the assistance of Cynthia Daniel. The prosecution is the result of a one year investigation by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Further Information:

Case #: CR0700203WDB

A copy of this press release may be found on the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s website at www.usdoj.gov/usao/can.
whitehorn

Post by whitehorn »

I thought it was last year because BUDK stopped selling butterfly knives and they had been selling them for years.Thanks!
Stay Golden