New Age Autos

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Stickman

New Age Autos

Post by Stickman »

I was looking at the AB site under new age auto's and would like some info on these. I particularly liked the Raptor, Cobra, and the Typhoon. Does anyone here own one of these and could give an opinion? Also how do they open and close? Thanks for any information.
Zack

Post by Zack »

Both versions of the Typhoon are very sweet. They are heavy, solid, fast, have excellent edges, and will, if you don't watch it, jump out of your hand. I dropped my Micarta a couple of times at first. They're back locks, and leaf spring fired. The Black Micarta's firing button is a highly polished dime - sized piece of brass. The button on the Silver Anodized Aluminum is the same thing, except not highly polished. Check out the SKM site. They offer accessories such as different scales and sheaths. The Sim Briarwood scales are, in my humble opinion, the prettiest. The Sim Marble looks interesting, too. The separate scales are made of aluminum. I changed the scales on the Aluminum to Sim Briarwood. I won't touch the Micarta. It's just too close to perfect. I was amazed at just how GOOD Black Micarta can look. The only thing I ran into that could be slightly annoying is after I cleaned the Aluminum and put the Briarwood scales on it, it opened too well and had a tendency to jump out of the lock. Not every time, and not at every opening angle. It works fine, now. One more thing. The frame, or liner, is stainless steel, and a little thicker. The blade is 440 and 1/8" thick from the hilt to where the point drops. Both are great bangs for the buck. Almost forgot... They're a little loud...
Stickman

Post by Stickman »

Thanks for the info Zack. I am partial to the Typhoon also but I wanted an opinion from someone who had one before I ordered one. All three look like they would make an excellent carry piece for all around usage. And with being an auto they look like a regular folder so I dont think you would have the hassle factor as with a stiletto.

Thanks for the information.