Mikov spring question.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
flytyer46

Mikov spring question.

Post by flytyer46 »

I was checking out my Mikov kit today and I am still amazed that a pair of
rather dainty looking springs can supply the force that they do. Are they made out of
a high quality spring steel? Or do they just do a good gob of heat treating and tempering?
I know that they sell spare springs, but with all of the posts I've read dealing with Mikov's
I don't remember any about broken springs.

Thanks

Tim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Mikov spring question.

Post by Vagrant »

Two terms that are 99% advertising - "surgical stainless" and "spring steel" :wink:
NO steel manufacturer uses such terms, the product manufacturer [or his advertising department] uses them :idea: [the steel maker MAY offer advice on which steel to use based on the type of spring you wish to make].
Some steels are better for some types of springs.
CAR leaf-springs are made from a different steel than car coil-springs but both these steels are used for other things.
By pounds the largest "surgical" usage of stainless is [was] bedpans :lol:
[I believe there has been a move to disposable, synthetics for this but, I've avoided hospitals for a long time] :wink:
And scalples are a onetime use - not the ideal material for cutlery :idea:
flytyer46

Post by flytyer46 »

I understand what your saying about people talking up their product. I've always heard people talking about "spring steel"
and looking at the slim profile of the Mikov springs I thought there might be a higher grade steel that they used.
One other thing that got me to thinking about it was that I was looking at the "admiral steel" site and they have
"spring,strip and alloy steels" listed in one of there catalogs.

I have a couple of knives with broken springs and I would like to make the best springs that I can. I am
probably going to use 1095 since it's easy to work. That is unless someone has a better option.

thanks
lars

Post by lars »