Problem making my latest knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
eastcoastsniper

Problem making my latest knife

Post by eastcoastsniper »

When I make a knife with torx screws, I always mark the liner where I want the tap holes to go, clamp the scales on and drill it out. I always do one hole at a time, tap it, ream the scale and do the counter sink. i then attach the screw, make sure it's clamped properly, and move onto the next hole.

Well, I just finished a new set of scales and was putting all the screws in the liner so I could file off the excess before assembly. One of the screws wouldn't go in...HMMM. I know it was aligned properly, I held it up to the light..looked good, tried again..won't thread! Maybe I forget to tap it? I ran the tap through it again..perfect!. Still won't go in.

I spent a good half hour trying to figure out why that screw wouldn't go in that hole. I'm not sure at what point the bells started going "ding-ding-ding, but this was the problem...

They forgot to put threads on my screw!!!!
torxpic1.JPG
torxpic1.JPG (12.68 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
~Chad

Re: Problem making my latest knife

Post by ~Chad »

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Not funny, but it is :lol:
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

tryker
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thats hilarious Roger. The exact same thing happened to me with a with a brass female fitted service tee with no IP threading (pipe fitting) that I brazed in a building once only to find that I had to cut it out and replace it with another because the "factory" forgot to put the threads in it. Funny how that happens, not when it happens. :lol: It looks like you began "making the threads" Nice T&D :) I've seen it in copper fittings too (rarely) but it's easy to neglect when you're in a hurry or doing 5 things at once. :wink:
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leverlock switchblades
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

I had the same thing happen to me while trying to hang a ceiling fan that was quite high off the floor. After getting into an ungodly position and trying unsuccessfully for what felt like several minutes to catch this damn screw while leaning precariously off the ladder I finally realized the screw that I was trying to install had no thread whatsoever. Well I said I'm just gonna march myself down to the Chinese consulate and make my protest. lol
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

That would not happen to me.....from working on cars and motorcycles in my dirt drive and dropping the screw or bolt into the dirt then picking it up and blowing the dirt off...I got in the habit of looking at the threads to see if they were clean. :)
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Ah yes, quality control. I retired from a large corporation and things such as that are one of the reasons I saw it was time to leave. Before name change and branding to such, the company decided it would out source alot of the equipment we used daily. Normal everyday items like screws were bought cheap, probably from foreign sources all for idea of saving bucks here and there. We had storerooms where we picked up supplies daily to facilitate our work. We got screws and fasteners in small bags clear plastic on one side, white paper with parts id printed on. When we started getting this new equipment, it was apparent that this was not going to be a completely labor and cost saving move. You had to view the bags pretty well in order to find something you could work with. Screws with no threads and flat head screws with no driver slot were frequent.....
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Dick Carroll wrote:Ah yes, quality control. I retired from a large corporation and things such as that are one of the reasons I saw it was time to leave. Before name change and branding to such, the company decided it would out source alot of the equipment we used daily. Normal everyday items like screws were bought cheap, probably from foreign sources all for idea of saving bucks here and there. We had storerooms where we picked up supplies daily to facilitate our work. We got screws and fasteners in small bags clear plastic on one side, white paper with parts id printed on. When we started getting this new equipment, it was apparent that this was not going to be a completely labor and cost saving move. You had to view the bags pretty well in order to find something you could work with. Screws with no threads and flat head screws with no driver slot were frequent.....
I NEVER heard of such nonsense :roll: And, it certainly NEVER happened to me :wink:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Everything is being outsourced....this countries industrial base is being gutted!

I worked in a small shop that made nuts n bolts.....big machines that you feed steel rod in one end and nuts/bolts come out of the other end.
eastcoastsniper

Springmesser wrote:Everything is being outsourced....this countries industrial base is being gutted!

I worked in a small shop that made nuts n bolts.....big machines that you feed steel rod in one end and nuts/bolts come out of the other end.
The machine operator must have been out on the back dock doing bong hits when he was supposed to be putting threads on my screws!

I guess I'll just have to add one more step to my knife making tutorial.

Step number 37...Check your screws to make sure they are threaded before inserting into tapped holes :roll: :roll:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

eastcoastsniper wrote:
Springmesser wrote:Everything is being outsourced....this countries industrial base is being gutted!

The machine operator must have been out on the back dock doing bong hits when he was supposed to be putting threads on my screws!

I guess I'll just have to add one more step to my knife making tutorial.

Step number 37...Check your screws to make sure they are threaded before inserting into tapped holes :roll: :roll:
Your screw was probably made in a chinese slave labor factory.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

You got screwed on that one Roger. :wink:
Leverlock switchblades
eastcoastsniper

Jeff_75 wrote:You got screwed on that one Roger. :wink:
hahaha...I DIDN'T get screwed, and that was the problem.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I was just kidding Roger. Yours makes alot more sense :lol:
Leverlock switchblades