Need some info on this knife.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
flytyer46

Need some info on this knife.

Post by flytyer46 »

The knife looks like it might be pretty old. I have looked thru the auctions and haven't been able
to ID it. It's got Germany on the blade is this a Hubertus? I would like to know what brand it
is and how old it might be. And how much is it worth? It looks to be in pretty good condition.

Thanks

Tim

Sorry I guess a picture would help!
Attachments
GetAttachmenft.aspx.jpg
GetAttachmenft.aspx.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 9136 times
GetAttachment.aspdx.jpg
GetAttachment.aspdx.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 9136 times
GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
GetAttachment.aspx.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 9133 times
Last edited by flytyer46 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr natural

Re: Need some info on this knife.

Post by mr natural »

Post a picture of it I'm sure some one here can help 8)
Mr Natural

j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Photo?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

No, it is not a Hubertus but a Weidmannsheil by Weltersbach in blue bone. It is a desirable collectible. My understanding is that these knives were made in the '70's and '80's. It is also my understanding that a quantity of original components was discovered in a warehouse in the early '90's after the company went out of business. The components were then assembled and apperard on the collector market. Value is of course what someone is willing to pay. These seem to have been going in the $225 +/_ range for the last couple of years for as new, unsharpened, unused, uncarried samples.

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife is a "Weltersbach"-sort of. As it was produced after Wilhelm Weltersbach closed it's doors. I don't know the real story on these.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

Cool knife Tim.

That's a keeper :)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Here is a picture of mine in yellow bone. I kept the picture the original size to provide a better view of the blade etch. Also, there is another knife in the picture to add to the confusion.

Jim
Weid and Anniv Hubie.JPG
Weid and Anniv Hubie.JPG (995.06 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I knew I've seen one of those lately! That is an awesome knife! Interesting vintage lever :D If this one is not yours maybe you can ask this seller for a little more info:
http://www.sharperdeals.net/auction_det ... item_watch
Leverlock switchblades
Grim

Post by Grim »

jim d, wrote:No, it is not a Hubertus but a Weidmannsheil by Weltersbach in blue bone. It is a desirable collectible. My understanding is that these knives were made in the '70's and '80's. It is also my understanding that a quantity of original components was discovered in a warehouse in the early '90's after the company went out of business. The components were then assembled and apperard on the collector market. Value is of course what someone is willing to pay. These seem to have been going in the $225 +/_ range for the last couple of years for as new, unsharpened, unused, uncarried samples.

Jim
yeah it does have the 80s fell to it :idea: .Nice looking classic 8)
DONT TREAD ON ME
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

To be honest I don't think you will find anything but mint, unsharpened, uncarried examples because I don't think these are old knives. I don't know any old time collectors who have ever seen one of these until Barry Adams showed up with these about 5 years ago. I like Barry, but when no one has ever seen them before and you come up with 800 + of them it really makes you wonder what's going on. With that said they are cool knives and if you liked them before you should continue to, just don't be surprised if they aren't what they are claimed to be.
He has had some knives before that seemed less than Kosher, including a "Herder" springer with a less than authentic looking "Springer" stamp on the bottom bolster. Not saying they are bad, but I would be very wary.
No, I'm not happy to see you, that's my 12cm "Red Rose" in my pocket!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Weidmannsheil closed it's doors in 1991.
So that can help date those :idea:
This is my [Grohman clone] Weindmannsheil, a carbon steel, mismarked "stainless'
My heirs can pee on my grave for the condition [and losing the sticker pasted over "stainless" marking] :lol:
Attachments
knife + dogs 005.jpg
knife + dogs 005.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 8760 times
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

I'm not sure they can be dated because I don't think they were ever made by Weidmannsheil, at least not as they are being sold. I've seen a fair number of their catalogs and never seen the stamping that's on the bottom bolster of these knives. The blades may, or may not be genuine Weidmannsheil made product. Not that hard to have a stencil for an etch made I would guess. The older Weidmannsheil knives were tang stamped and only the newer ones had an etch so I would think if this was a knife they actually made they would have been seen before 800+ hit the scene.
No, I'm not happy to see you, that's my 12cm "Red Rose" in my pocket!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have to tend to agree with Autoknife on the "newness" of these knives. I suspect they maybe be made as the present day Weidmannsheil lockback are for Parker, by another German company that is using the old stamp. That said they are well made knives and look and work great, so as long as you don't pay a "collector's" price for them then they are worth the addition to your collection. As for Barry Adams, he is a super great guy that in the early 1990s I spoke to three times a weeks and brought tons of knives from. All that praise aside, he does tend to spin a good tale for sure. I brought the first run of spikes from Benchmade from him that were unmarked, and he told everyone that he had them made by Boker in Germany. The stilettos marked "stiletto sciliano" all came through him at one popint, which lead me to suspect that went his wife had to get him from the garage he was perhaps adding that to the blades...lol...not sure through...but Barry is for sure a good guy and always stood by his knives and would give a refund without question.....
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Very interesting point Ken. The part about older components being found in a warehouse and assembled later does make some sense given that they did not become available until recently, and the etch on the blade is "West Germany" (which is why I added that large photo that you have to scroll through to see). What I didn't realize was that none had been seen before the B. Adams bunch - thanks for that information. That Herder was a wierd one - our leverlock collecting friend from the North commented "I could do better by hand after 3 bottles of merlot"

Jim
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I luv it....intrigue and dubious origins of a leverlock......is it vintage or modern :?: 8)