Need some info on this knife.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
autoknife

Re: Need some info on this knife.

Post by autoknife »

jim d, wrote:Very interesting point Ken. The part about older components being found in a warehouse and assembled later does make some sense given that they did not become available until recently, and the etch on the blade is "West Germany" (which is why I added that large photo that you have to scroll through to see).Jim
That "old parts found in a warehouse" is always good for a story, and probably why they all use it to explain a mysterious find of never before seen knives.
No, I'm not happy to see you, that's my 12cm "Red Rose" in my pocket!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"Parts knives" are a reality, the most common are the late 40s/early 50s Hitler Youth Knives :idea:
But after they ran out of parts for those they made "reproduction parts" and kept rolling :roll:
LOTS of these were made.
How many parts knives [of any kind] are genuine and how many are reprodutions will always be a matter of debate :!:
The same is true of some Walther pistols [by Manurhin of France].
[for several years Walther actually had Manurhin make many parts for them and ship them to the Fatherland for assembly
and the "made in Germany" stamping] :wink:
But Walther eventually got newer/better equipment than the confiscated stuff the French were using :!:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

This is all extremely interesting to me and it makes so much sense that some of these knifes could be constructed from replacement parts. One of my questions is: With 800 knives or more in replacement parts (and original) wouldn't there be anybody that knows them from when they were originally designed and produced?
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Jeff_75 wrote:This is all extremely interesting to me and it makes so much sense that some of these knifes could be constructed from replacement parts. One of my questions is: With 800 knives or more in replacement parts (and original) wouldn't there be anybody that knows them from when they were originally designed and produced?
$$$ can keep a lot of people quiet :idea:
As long as everyone involved is happy the secret is safe.
But, sooner or later [usually] someone thinks he was "taken advantage of" and
the truth comes out :idea:
Also the reproduction[s] sometimes become so obvious [cheaper] that anyone can tell.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I am running across these pretty frequently in my never ending pursuit of a Weidmannsheil Springer Konig.
These knives all have at least one thing in common: they all are in new looking condition. They remind me of a slim line Hubertus.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =31&t=7539
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I am totally convinced that the Solingen knife trade is VERY similar to that of Maniago :idea:
There are just TOO MANY identical items with numerous "brands" or names on them, for it to be coincidence :wink:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

That's a very interesting point about the Weidmannsheil and the Slimline Hubertus. I have my sample of each in front of me and they do look to be much the same knife except for the identification etching and stamping. The only other differences are the ubiquitous hole in the lever and the eccentric short blade of the Hubertus. I also compared them to my all metal Bonsa, and it looks like it could be a close relative as well. Interesting comparason to the Maniago cottage industry Al.

Jim
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

I think it's a pretty well known fact that some companies in Germany made knives for other manufacturers with that companies name added. Puma never made their own leverlocks in the 1950's or now for that matter, and Bonsa made leverlocks for a lot of companies, and I'm sure there were many others.
Having known the owner of Hubertus for close to 20 years or more I find it hard to believe he would get involved in anything deceptive. He's always been a good friend to the knife collecting community.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I don't see a cottage industry as deceptive, at least not in the context that it is being discussed here. It can make sound buisness sense. It is just that it seems we often discuss the Maniago cottage industry, and a Solingen cottage industry is rarely if ever discussed.

Jim
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

jim d, wrote:I don't see a cottage industry as deceptive, at least not in the context that it is being discussed here. It can make sound buisness sense. It is just that it seems we often discuss the Maniago cottage industry, and a Solingen cottage industry is rarely if ever discussed.

Jim
I wasn't referring to the cottage industry as being deceptive, but the implication that these could be made from Hubertus parts. I'd hate to think that Henning would be involved in something like that. Sorry I didn't clarify better.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

No problem Ken, I see your point.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The "short bladed" Slimlines were made to comply with the [allied mandated] WEST BERLIN [only], restrictions :idea:
This law WAS, eventually, repealed and http://www.zerdick.com/index.htm.old.htm had a couple knives commemerating that repeal 8) ALL of Germany, shortly after that, enacted a law that was VERY similar to [but worse than] the old "West Berlin" law :roll:
Since these knives violated the NEW law, they disappeared, and may be one of the rarest of all knives :idea: :!: [I have only seen ONE pic, and never an actual example] :(
Don't bother Uli, Me, [or anyone else] asking about them but, IF you ever see one GRAB IT :!:
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Ken, perhaps you could show a pic of your Model 90 to exemplify what I suspect was the original configuration. I have also suspected that the frames on these later ones may have been hubertus 12cm parts. The back spring on mine is slightly wider than the blade giving it an incurable side to side play.
Here it is pictured with and older 10cm with rare original jigged walnut scales.
Attachments
weltersbachs.jpg
weltersbachs.jpg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
autoknife

Post by autoknife »

mr_edge wrote:Ken, perhaps you could show a pic of your Model 90 to exemplify what I suspect was the original configuration. I have also suspected that the frames on these later ones may have been hubertus 12cm parts. The back spring on mine is slightly wider than the blade giving it an incurable side to side play.
Here it is pictured with and older 10cm with rare original jigged walnut scales.
I have another one that I believe is a little newer that doesn't have the model 90 designation, but I can't find the picture right now.
Ooops, found it.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

2 is a bit greedy, don't you think? I'll take the ugly jigged wood one. :wink: