Let's make a Mikov

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
eastcoastsniper

Re: Let's make a Mikov

Post by eastcoastsniper »

butch wrote:the way I learned was by practicing on a cheap set of square shanked screw drivers,I learned how to do it and had cheap but fancy screw drivers. :lol:
Great idea Butch..

here's a link to some cheap steel bars that would be perfect to practice filework on...
http://www.discountsteel.com/index.cfm/ ... emID/7.htm

butch

Post by butch »

8) thanks.
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

javacupper wrote:I'm not ready to try a kit yet but after watching all that I decided that I had to add a Mikov to my collection. I just ordered one in Turkish Walnut with the rear bolster and filework from David. One of these days I'll try a Mikov or leverletto kit.
My first Mikov arrived today, right when David said it would. I can now see why you guys are fascinated by these knives. I can definitely see more of these in my future including at least one kit. It was a pleasure dealing with David- quick responses and service!
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Bump. :)
Leverlock switchblades
eastcoastsniper

There have been several mikov's made recently that seem to have a problem with the blade being scratched against the liner while either opening, or sometimes closing. When you receive a "kit", things aren't always as they appear! You would think that the knife should simply be pinned together and all is well. ...NOT!!

I paid a lot of attention to the most recent Mikov I assembled and think I have found the problem. Just as I mentioned in another thread, the parts don't fit together quite as well as they were meant to. After the knife was pinned together, I noticed that it wasn't seating well into the locking mechanism. Either the rectangle hole in the blade was too small, or the rectangle blade locking protrusion was too large. If either are not perfectly square and mated properly, the blade will be forced against the liner causing the scratching.

Before you assemble a Mikov kit, take a small square needle file and "clean" the hole in the blade and the locking pin ( both circled in red) make sure both are perfectly square.
mikov file.jpg
mikov file.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 16785 times
David......i hope you're reading this :evil: :wink:
tanto

Post by tanto »

Yes, I do read almost all "mikov" threads :). As for the imperfections - the "problem" is the kits are not actually kits. They are just knife parts put together. They are not prepared just for assembly (like other kits). When they are assembled in the company, everything is checked, adjusted, filed.. just to make sure they fit. The same must be done here as well.

David
---------------

My knives + watches
eastcoastsniper

tanto wrote:Yes, I do read almost all "mikov" threads :). As for the imperfections - the "problem" is the kits are not actually kits. They are just knife parts put together. They are not prepared just for assembly (like other kits). When they are assembled in the company, everything is checked, adjusted, filed.. just to make sure they fit. The same must be done here as well.

David
NOW we've added some important information to this tutorial! :wink:

Not trying to give you a hard time Tanto, I'm trying to learn so I can pass along information to the future Mikov builders so they will have a knife that not only will they be proud to say the made it, but also assemble one that works properly so they will want to build another.
I've built 15 or more and only recently has there been an issue.

PS...the blades are now stamped "KIT"
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

It's kind of intresting about the stamps.
I have 5 stamped "X"
2 stamped "KIT"
1 made from Mikov (without kit stamp marking)
2 kit knives without any kit marking ( these 2 have the single type firing spring [that looks similar to aluminum but isn't]) Even though they were kits.
They all feel and fire differently. I have done my own set of tweeking on some of them and have been happy with the results. Some just seem to naturally build better than the others I am guessing after ispecting all of mine. I am sure it takes the touch to make some of these Mikov kits work. They can be very good well made knives. I like mine alot.
I wish the blades could either be a little more "scuff" resistent, or the liners could be a softer type that wont scratch the blade easily if it rubs the inside liner occasionally.
I only have dagger blades on mine so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the clip point blades.
I won't go into the springs :lol:
Leverlock switchblades
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

10 years ago, Mikov quality control was terrible.
Progressively, QC has gotten better- I believe this has been largely due to Tanto's input. Today, the Mikov knives are very good quality.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The factory Mikov I have is a gem. Great quality. David basically is Mikov lately :lol: He's a great help to everyone.
It is difficult for me to pick favorites out of the Mikovs I have. I'm kind of attached to the snakewood one. (front and back filing) It fires great.
Mikov springs can be changed by anybody too ( a broken one is tricky). Thats always a plus as well.
It is nice to hear that they keep progressing. Mikov knives have been around for a good while it seems.
Leverlock switchblades
eastcoastsniper

Allrighty....I made another mikov and filed the rectangle hole in the blade as well as the blade catch protrusion shown in the above pictures. Not only does the blade catch better, It's quite snappy, and doesn't rub the liners. Check out the vid..it sits dead center!. When you watch this video, check out how HARD the latch hits the handle when I close the blade! I've never seen another Mikov close like that. It even chipped part of the scale and I had to file it back a little.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VF3B86QQGY
Does anyone else have a mikov that hits that hard when closing?
tanto

Post by tanto »

eastcoastsniper wrote:When you watch this video, check out how HARD the latch hits the handle when I close the blade! I've never seen another Mikov close like that.
Nice knife and nice video. As for the lever closing that nice - you did not check my youtube video, did you? :-)
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGJnx_ul ... re=related

David
Last edited by tanto on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------

My knives + watches
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

eastcoastsniper wrote: .
I'm pretty sure 2 of the Mikovs you made for me do. The snakewood lever slaps back into place about that hard everytime. :D I'm glad the scales are thick where it hits. It's always cool to have the lever reseat when you close the knife.
I also have a stag Italy shellpuller (leverlock) that reseats the lever when it closes with a little smack also. It is the only leverlock knife I have that even puts the lever back in place when it closes. 8)
Leverlock switchblades
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

It's always cool to have the lever reseat when you close the knife.

I have 1 of 2 Boker 712's that does that, 1 out of 5 hubies and 2 leverlettos that do it. I feel the same way about the lever snapping back when closing. 8) I've noticed on some of mine that it depends on where your fingers are on the back side of the blade that determines whether the lever pops over or not when you close the knife. On some of mine, if you apply pressure close to the top of the back of the blade, the lever will flip shut. Too low and it only flips out partially. The one Hubie lever flips back just like your mikov no matter how you close it.

I don't own any Mikovs, so I should prolly just shut up, but it seems you made that Mikov work just like I'd want one to! :D
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
eastcoastsniper

xlr8 wrote:
It's always cool to have the lever reseat when you close the knife.
I don't own any Mikovs, so I should prolly just shut up, but it seems you made that Mikov work just like I'd want one to! :D
I'd have to agree with you on that one xlr8.... About the way the knife works that is :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VF3B86QQGY
If anyone ever makes an instruction manual for the kit....be sure and include the filing on the rectangle slot in the blade and the catch.