Let's make a Mikov

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
eastcoastsniper

Re: Let's make a Mikov

Post by eastcoastsniper »

Springmesser wrote:
eastcoastsniper wrote:I hold the wheel steady and in position with my right hand and move the scale with my left hand. As long as you go slowly and only take off 1/16 of an inch or so at a time, the scale will stay put. By doing it this way, you can also move the wheel up and down for your bevel cuts.
I don't know about one handing it for a first time builder?
What's the worse that could happen!!? :roll:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Ouch! :(
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

:idea: MODS , can we get a sticky
justinRsmith

Post by justinRsmith »

ouch!
"I'll keep my money and guns & you keep the change"
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

Great job ECS,
it probably wouldent hurt to mention the bevel on the top bolsters, when I built my mikov I cut out the first set of scales before making the bevel and they came out a little too short, :)
tanto

Post by tanto »

Excellent tutorial... can I link this thread from my website?

David
---------------

My knives + watches
eastcoastsniper

Cryptomecanic wrote:Great job ECS,
it probably wouldent hurt to mention the bevel on the top bolsters, when I built my mikov I cut out the first set of scales before making the bevel and they came out a little too short, :)
Nice attention to detail Cryptomecanic,

a few pic's back, I just mentioned to make sure the scale is flush with the bolster. I've assembled some kits that need a slight bevel, and others that don't.
eastcoastsniper

Let's continue with part 3....

I think the scales turned out pretty nice. Cocoblo is easy to work with, requires no stain and polish's up nicely.
Now that the scales are done, let's do a nice thorn and vine filework on the backspring. We'll need a small round,half round and three sided to get started. these can be found at most hardware stores, or you can buy them on line.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... number=468
First, mark off every 1/4 inch on the spring. Make sure you have it right side up!
Set the spring in your vise .Start with the small round file and nick between every other line. If you have small diamond files for your dremel, that is quicker.
Then take the half round and file over your nick marks, going about half way to the other side at a 25* angle.
Take a little steel wool to the top and sides to clean it up. Next, we're going to make the thorns. I used a sharpie to shade in the areas where we are going to file out with the 3 sided file. Go slowly and you'll be amazed how fast and easy this part is.
And here it is.....
Next, take the half round file and round off the edges. This is what your spring should look like. Sand the top and sides with 500 grit sandpaper. Polish the top (filed) with either metal polish or 1200 grit polishing cloth.
Here's what we have so far... Tomorrow, we'll do the assembly.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Man...this is a great tutorial.....even showing how to do some custom file work. 8)
And the cocobolo scales look great. :)
butch

Post by butch »

coming along very nicely,sniper,youve motivated me,My internet service was down all day and I have no shop set up yet but I milled out scales out on the deck out of african padauk.
eastcoastsniper

butch wrote:coming along very nicely,sniper,youve motivated me,My internet service was down all day and I have no shop set up yet but I milled out scales out on the deck out of african padauk.
Sounds nice Butch, Be sure to post up some pic's...We like pic's :)

if you have anything to add to the tutorial...anybody, We'd like to hear from you :)
butch

Post by butch »

I sure will post a pic,I want to add inserts but have nothing nice to use for spacer matireal,Im going to see if I can get some ultra thin brass from Medico.
eastcoastsniper

Texas knife has some really nice spacer material.
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=587_729
i like the 3 or 5 layers with alternating colors.
butch

Post by butch »

Yeah,Texas knife supply has some great stuff,I need to place an order when I can gather the $ Ive got a lot of kits that have been lying here for quite a long time cause I cant find time or money to work on them,probably when the kids are moved out on their own :lol: I was just looking threw my kits and discovered Im missing a massaro old fashioned kit. :shock:
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

butch wrote:I was just looking through my kits and discovered I'm missing a Massaro old fashioned kit. :shock:
Didn't I get one of those from you for one of my StrayDog projects, Butch? I can't remember....
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.