LL80 gravity knife question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
xfootdoc

LL80 gravity knife question

Post by xfootdoc »

HI I'm new to list and have a question. I have just purchased a new LL80 gravity knife and was told that there are other versions of this same knife. Would someone in the know explain the differences as well as the pros and cons of each? Any pictures would be helpful. Thanks.......Alan
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: LL80 gravity knife question

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. xfootdoc,

Greetings and WELCOMENESS!

All I know is there are at least twice versions of the LL-80. One has OFW onna blade. The other has WMF. The latter locks up solid and is the best of the two, whilst the former has considerable blade wobble...

I don't have a camera or computer, so I can't post pictures... :sad:
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Eickhorn LL-80 is a smaller version of the knives JerrBear mentions. The LL80 was made with a gut-hook type blade marked "Colt." There are Asian-made versions also. To my knowledge the LL80 is NOT German issue. The larger versions were official German issue and they, in turn are modern versions of the original WW2 German gravity. There is another issue German gravity knife that was used from 1956-1962.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Dr. Blades

Post by Dr. Blades »

Here are a few different versions of the LL80. The version that has 'WMF' marked on the blade is cited by many who own them as the best of the post WWII models.
Attachments
LL80 Gravity Knives.jpg
LL80 Gravity Knives.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 19981 times
Last edited by Dr. Blades on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Greetings and WELCOMENESS, Mr. Dr. Blades!

Good to see you posting. Fantastic pictures...
JerrBear
Dr. Blades

Post by Dr. Blades »

Thank you, sir.

Below are two of the 'trap door' knives alongside an LL80.
Attachments
Trapdoor knives with ll80.jpg
Trapdoor knives with ll80.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 19964 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Hello Dr.! Thanks for sharing your pictures. 8)
xfootdoc

Post by xfootdoc »

What should I expect to pay for a WMF knife. Ball park is OK.......Alan
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

I don't know if they're widely available at this point unless you find someone who'd part with theirs. I got mine for $40.00 buck dollars retail about 2-1/2 years ago. I saw one on the SharperDeal auction for twice that much recently.

It's a big, heavy knife. Not something you'd put in your pocket.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

jarvis wrote:I don't know if they're widely available at this point unless you find someone who'd part with theirs. I got mine for $40.00 buck dollars retail about 2-1/2 years ago. I saw one on the SharperDeal auction for twice that much recently.

It's a big, heavy knife. Not something you'd put in your pocket.
Several years ago Germany outlawed them any [German ones] you find are old stock :idea: And priced accordingly :(
Also agree about the size/bulk :idea:
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Taken from the book Luftwaffe Gravity Knife by Mack A. Pattarozzi: There are five types of German Paratrooper Knives. The Type I FKm (first picture) is from my collection and is a non take down early WWII(1937 - 1941). The Type II FKm is the same except that it is later WWII issue take down version (1941 - end of WWII). The “trap door” that Dr. Blade is sharing is a Type III FKm (1955 - 1961). The Type IV FKm (second picture) is very similar to the WWII take down knife (the most obvious difference being wooden scales). They were made by WMF, OWF & Eickhorn (1961 - 1979). The Type V FKm is the current production LL80 (1979 - ). It is smaller, has fewer parts and is easier to make. It is to the Type IV FKm like a Springfield 03A3 is to a 1903; a good serviceable knife but not as robust and heavy as the Type IV FKm. …hope this helps! JB

xfootdoc

Post by xfootdoc »

Since my initial question I have received my type IV WMF knife. Quite the beast. My question is how is the blade removed? I can take it apart easy enough but the blade will not slide out. The release lever needs the removed top piece to lever against to allow the blade to come out and retract, but with the top piece off the blade is locked in the handle. I didn't want to pry anything so I thought I'd ask for advice. Still waiting for my ll80 OMF to arrive. Thanks in advance.....Alan
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

xfootdoc:

With the blade in the handle, release the black front bolster by pushing the small square button and pulling the bolster straight off, then sissor the handle to expost the blade. Don't try to slide the blade forward simply pull it from the channel. Take a look at the pic. JB

JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks, Mr. John Brown!

I was wondering about that my ownself...
JerrBear
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

xfootdoc wrote:Since my initial question I have received my type IV WMF knife. Quite the beast. My question is how is the blade removed? I can take it apart easy enough but the blade will not slide out. The release lever needs the removed top piece to lever against to allow the blade to come out and retract, but with the top piece off the blade is locked in the handle. I didn't want to pry anything so I thought I'd ask for advice. Still waiting for my ll80 OMF to arrive. Thanks in advance.....Alan
Mr. xfootdoc

I've been interested in these also. Would you mind sharing where you able to purchase this wonderful knife? I have found some of this style available but, as has been pointed out, some are better than others.
If you'd rather not disclose I understand.

Thanks!

PS, or if other members have a suggestion?