Perlox? Pearlex? Pearlox?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
crunch

Perlox? Pearlex? Pearlox?

Post by crunch »

New question for you switch experts out there: I bought a 11 inch white perlox handle stiletto. It has very fine lines from each pin and the safety and the release button just like this knife: http://bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/Vie ... ber=624080 (Sorry, I have better pix but am too dumb to figure out how to post them.) Anyway, are these hair-line cracks or something else that occur when making this kind of scale? Also, will these lines be in other light-colored acrylic handles (like blue or sky-blue)? Thanks.
crunch
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Send me the pics and I'll post em' (by e-mail) anyhow thats a simulated ivory handle have one me self altough mine is a 5 1/2" stilleto standard blade made by skm/ab.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Here da image:

Me go 2 sleep now
crunch

Post by crunch »

Thanks J-Man. Now just what are those little lines?
crunch
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

well i can help explain this. this isnt a knife issue, it more of a science issue. the scales on this knife are made of a plastic material which is molded with the rivet and button holes as well as the safety slot already there as part of the mold.

so, these areas cool faster, leading to a gross change in density. the mica (shiny dust stuff suspended in the plastic (glitter)) gets fixed in these areas sooner than the rest, where it continues to flow around.

the warmer areas in contact with the areas that are cooled faster, in turn, get cooled faster, leading to the swirled pattern you see. if all the plastic cooled at the same rate, it would just be glittery white plastic, not swirly gittery white plastic. next time you have a cup of coffe, put the cream in and give it a tiny stir w/ the spoon, then see how the swirls sorta "stick" the the spoon. thats a similar principle.

if im really not clear enough, i can try to figure out a better way of explaining it.

vini
Taking typos to new levels.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nice try, but the scales are drilled after the moulding.
Basically, pearlex is a clear plastic, mixed with colorings that are not thoroughly mixed-leaving the swirls. Heat has nothing to do with it.
Bill DeShivs
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Bill DS,

Thanks for the expertise. You seem to be the only one with much experience cruising this forum on a regular basis. Could you help with my LCC Generation of Leverlock tab questions I posted? Thanks.
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

well, saying im wrong doesnt explain the very peculiar swirl patterning.

and id say heat has just about everything to do with injection molded plastics.

all you said was that it has swirls.

vini
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Vini
The plastic used on most Italians is not injection moulded, but cut from sheets, and drilled/routed. It appears to basically be casting epoxy, colored and cast into sheets, surface milled.
Some of the cheaper italians may use injection moulded scales. Your answer may be correct for those.
Bill
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Bill,

I have some of those perlox scales with the same type of lines where the rivets are, just like in the above pic. I suspect molding with pilot pins for the rivets cause these type of lines.

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

As for the product "PearlEx":

"PearlEx" is the trade name of the actual particles of shiny stuff (the glitter) in the handle. PearlEx is sold to manufacturers (and artists) in powdered form, and is used in a variety of way, suspended in different liquids or paints, or applied ot the outsides of painted surfaces.

some useless info.

vini.
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

oh, in my further research in this PearlEx matter, i looked in my Boy Scout Hand book.

They (Boy Scouts of America (Illuminati) ) say that this swirling is caused by "The Coriolus Effect" (sounds like a scam).

They included this image, which i found helpful:

They (Illuminati) also state that in the southern hemisphere (Mars) the swirls in knife handles reverse direction, but, this phenominon can only be observed by flipping the knife over and looking at the scale on the other side. Diections for this procedure (Flipping knife) is also included:

That is all.

Vini

PS: the illuminati CAN NOT see your house from that satelite. so relax.
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Vini,

Nice pic of your anus. I bet yer really popular with Sid Sphincther and his roving band of rump rustlers over at Cape Cod. Oooop's, did I let the cat out of the bag? Don't worry, Ted will come to comfort you.

Best REAR-guards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Is that the same Ted that was asked about a presidential bid and replyed
"I prefer to wait and drive off that bridge when I come to it"?
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

dude, thats totally not my anus...

IT IS YOUR MOTHER's!

vini 8)

thats right. back off.