Fortune Sales price increase???

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TRYKER

Re: Fortune Sales price increase???

Post by TRYKER »

Vagrant wrote:
Furcs wrote:This has nothing to do with anything... but

Many years ago I had a friend who had an antique store, he was in in his 70's when he passsed on in the early 90's. Great guy.
He told me that the best advice he'd ever heard for his business was: If it doesn't sell, raise the price!. He swore on it, and I'll be damned if it didn't work for him.

Unique times, unique business, but makes me smile to think about that logic.

Hope you all had a great Christmas!!
That has worked for me, several times :wink:

sounds like sheldon at hunters rondavous

tryker
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

tanto wrote:
JerrBear wrote: Higher prices + low demand = even lower demand, as more potential buyers are priced out of the market. Simple as that. That was my original point. ...
You are 100% right but this does not work with switchblades. From my experience decreasing prices does not generate more business. The number of people who buy knives is quite stabile and does not change in time. They maybe buy cheaper models but that is the only difference.

David
Welcome to Dec 2008, where, from my experience the economy is in a recession. This is new, so good luck with that thinking. But the rich ain't as rich, and many of those who were stable aren't.

Just to set it straight, I 'd buy a lot more from Mikov, Bill's designs, et al if the prices went down. And the thing is, if you are not a seller you can't help but see that's true of most.

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I have been successful in my own business. I know what profit margin is, and I know what good business is.

But I hope to keep buying the nice knives you all put out.. :D
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I got an 11" blue pearlex dagger bladed one from Stu a few years back for like 40 bucks off of BA.

I gave it to somebody as a Christmas present this year, foolishly thinking I could get another for a similar price.

Logged onto Stu's site and they were double that. Found them cheaper on another site but still high enough so I didn't get one.

Not sure what's going on with the price increase. He raised the prices on some of his Hubies but far as I can tell they are the same batch he had lower prices on.

Stu is top notch IMO and I ordered a couple cheaper ones off of him instead but I think the internet knife business is going to take a big hit when the economy tanks. Many knives online are priced in the same realm as some guns. Yet most knives I see being resold are always sold at LESS then purchase price where the guns seem to only increase in value. Also in my area you could never get your money out of your knives you bought online selling them locally, but guns you can sell for purchase price or even more.
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

Actually Stu dropped the price of the Titan II OTFs by $20 maybe as a result of this disco? anyway, mine is on the way along with some leverletto kits. 8) 8)
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

Stu has, and always will have the most competative prices of anyone in this business. That is, comparing the SAME merchandise!! And while we're at it, the last time I saw a Frank B 11" ANYTHING in the $40.00 somthing range was back in 2006.
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
dave

Post by dave »

barshoo wrote:Stu has, and always will have the most competative prices of anyone in this business. That is, comparing the SAME merchandise!! And while we're at it, the last time I saw a Frank B 11" ANYTHING in the $40.00 somthing range was back in 2006.
yep! and then they were under priced. :idea:
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

You're right Dave, they were under priced back then, I remember that. Prices were set to go up mid 2005, I THINK. Well, anyway, Rick sells a Frank B 11" standard horn for $63.00, which today is not too bad. 8)
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

Today I just purchased to spring assisted knives, and they are sweet! JerrBear had given me one. I bought two out the door with shipping for $27.00! One is G-10 and the other is Titanium oxide on the metal parts. They flip open using your index finger, and are a ton of fun!
dave

Post by dave »

barshoo wrote:You're right Dave, they were under priced back then, I remember that. Prices were set to go up mid 2005, I THINK. Well, anyway, Rick sells a Frank B 11" standard horn for $63.00, which today is not too bad. 8)
and as you have pointed out before, rick is a top notch dealer and a pleasure to deal with. he shoots straight and is very fair with his pricing.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

I have noticed more price fluctuation in guns than knives, but then again I mostly trade used guns when the mood hits. Some years Colt SAA, Browning A5, Win M12, etc seem to command a higher price; and then may dip. Knives seem (total opinion) more steady to me. Admittedly I don't trade many of either now but that's because I've already got too many- if that's really possible.

As for Stu; he may not be as rock bottom as in the past but, I have never, ever, had a deal go bad with him. I can think of a few other fellers (on and off) the goody list who are top notch too.

I would be pretty puckered up right now if my livelihood depended on any sales; especially discretionary items.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

hogwild wrote: I would be pretty puckered up right now if my livelihood depended on any sales; especially discretionary items.
Hell, Mr. Hogwild... When sales of discretionary items are down get "unpuckered" by simply raising your prices - That's what a good businessman would do (or so I've been told :P)...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Lol :lol: