Ranger otf

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
leighdog

Ranger otf

Post by leighdog »

Has anyone picked up one of the ranger otf yet?Really nice knife for the price.The action isnt bad and the handles have a rough insert that surely wont slip from your hand.This one is a double edge and its kind of a gun metal gray.It comes with a pocket clip and glass breaker.Also comes with a sheath similar to a microtech.All in all a good knife for 59.00.here is a photo--
Attachments
DSC00899.JPG
DSC00899.JPG (63.91 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
sammy da blade

Re: Ranger otf

Post by sammy da blade »

where did you find it at that price? i paid 75 buck dollars for mine and i thought that was a good deal.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Got it at uniqueblade.com and free shipping also.
bladecrazy

Post by bladecrazy »

leighdog wrote:Has anyone picked up one of the ranger otf yet?Really nice knife for the price.The action isnt bad and the handles have a rough insert that surely wont slip from your hand.This one is a double edge and its kind of a gun metal gray.It comes with a pocket clip and glass breaker.Also comes with a sheath similar to a microtech.All in all a good knife for 59.00.here is a photo--

Yes, that is a good knife for the price. Better than the original titan in my opinion!
moe

Post by moe »

What!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

my body's achin' and my time is at hand
h1942

Post by h1942 »

Stu's are single edge.CA,Ca. Slang for Shit. Hank
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

The dbl edge model is above this one on the OTF index page.
annnd if be those DEs run out, Stu will sharpen the dull edge of the single edge mod for you - no questions asked... my guess is they arrive to him single edge but he makes them DE. I could be wrong.
I love my Titan II. bess $54 I spent on a clone so far.
moe

Post by moe »

What!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

my body's achin' and my time is at hand
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

h1942 wrote:CA,Ca. Slang for Shit. Hank
I'm trying to figure out what the hell you mean by this.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Think "cah cah", I think? :lol:
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

I got two DE Titan IIs from Stu. They're not as nice as my Scarab, but I thought it was a great deal for the price. I haven't punctured any 50 gallon barrels yet but they seem very sturdy. :)

Cragar
bladecrazy

Post by bladecrazy »

Cragar wrote:I got two DE Titan IIs from Stu. They're not as nice as my Scarab, but I thought it was a great deal for the price. I haven't punctured any 50 gallon barrels yet but they seem very sturdy. :)

Cragar
50 bucks is a great deal.. I think I got it when it is 70 some bucks everywhere... :mrgreen:
incessant

Post by incessant »

I would love to buy one of these knives. The only thing holding me back is my lousy experience with the LIGHTNING. You all remember these I'm sure.

This knife looks like the same deal. I LOVED the LIGHTNING.. for the whole 2 weeks before the pot metal switch broke.
Which drove me to microtech . :) $250 later

I would love to think I could get a decent OTF for sub $100 but I fear that may still be a pipe dream.

Thoughts?
butch

Post by butch »

the lightenings have an improve switch now,I have 2 of them and have opened and closed them repeatedly to see if it would break like the firest batch but both are still going strong
bladeuser01

Post by bladeuser01 »

About the Ranger (Uniqueblade)/Thunder 2 (Bladeplay)/Titan 2(Stu711)/Airbourne Avenger (Assistedknife.com). These three seem to be the same model, aren't they?

To confuse things even more: there's also the Titan 1 and the Thunder 1... I am thinking of buying a Thunder 2. But it seems to me that it is internally the same as the well known, popular, Lightning. Everybody who has a Lightning (like I do) must see the similarities. However, on Stu's site it says that the Titan 2 is 5/8'' thick (= 0.635 inch thick = 1.6 cm). My Lightning is 0.5'' (= 1.3 cm) thick. Can you guys, who own a Ranger/Thunder2/Titan2, confirm this? .635 Inch seems a little thick... I carry my Lightning in my pocket (for every day use) and a much thicker knife wouldn't be as handy as the Lightning...

P.S. The switch of my Taiwanese Lightning (bought a few months ago) sort of broke on me too. That is, the internal metal plate that sticks out into the actual switch wore down on one side in such a way that the switch 'glided' over it (causing the switch to get stuck). It couldn't 'push' it forward anymore to let the knife spring out the front. This is the metal plate inside the lightning that holds the double-spring and pushes the internal locking stubs away. A part of that plate sticks out of the side, over which the switch is mounted. If the plating wears and tears on one side, then the switch glides over it until it gets stuck on a part of the plating that is not worn down. I filed a piece off of that side of the metal plating which cased the switch to 'push' on the side of the metal plate again. However, since the springs are not 'pulled on' that hard anymore the action isn't as snappy as it should be... And the metal plate might wear some more. I might consider to buy, as a 'side order', the Chinese Lightning clone of the Lightning (which is a clone itself....) the next time I order an OTF. That way I can do a 'Frankenstein' on my beloved Lighting. But it's still a bit strange that the glorified modern Taiwanese Lightning broke on me after a few weeks... Well, guess every company has its 'monday morning items', ha ha. ;)