Leverlock Push Tabs- question for the experts

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hollowdweller

Leverlock Push Tabs- question for the experts

Post by hollowdweller »

I was wondering if anyone knew why the push tabs on most of the leverlocks are so similar? Almost all have the little hole in them.What is the purpose of that? To lighten it up so it doesn't dent the bolster? Even the Boker 712 while it doesn't have the hole has an indentation in the place where the hole would be.

I know some old case ones have difft. push tabs, but most all the new Italian and German leverlocks have the same push tab. Anybody know?
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. hollowdweller. I am not an expert and I can only address one part of your question. From several years experience carrying a hubertus lever I can tell you that the hole isn't there to keep from denting the bolser. My rosewood model has a nice dent that looks like like a frown formed by the curve of the hole you are wondering about. I'd guess that the hole is there to speed up the lever action by cutting down on drag from the wind. :wink:
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

My guess would be to prevent your thumb from sliding off the tab under pressured conditions.
Last edited by Razor_54 on Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

to save metal.
Taking typos to new levels.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

I tried it and that hole does provide some grip. Also the lever probably doesn't look as good without it.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I would think that the hole is for traction, and possibly for lanyard use, though I have never seen that stated.
The Europeans are very tradition-oriented people, and this is the way most have always been built. It works well, looks traditional- so I suspect that is the reason. Plain levers are slippery and more difficult to operate.
The older German knives have the hole drilled, but modern German and Italian levers appear to be cast that way.
Bill
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Thank you :D