What's the deal with Fishtails?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Re: What's the deal with Fishtails?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Daddy picked up his Fishtail about 70-73 years ago (between 1935-1938 as near as I can guess). This should tell you something.
Fishtail Picklock
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

AND don't forget to wear the buckle of that garrison belt on the side instead of the front.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Fishtail Picklock

TRYKER wrote:AND don't forget to wear the buckle of that garrison belt on the side instead of the front.
How is this connected to the Fishtail Knives?
Fishtail Picklock
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:
TRYKER wrote:AND don't forget to wear the buckle of that garrison belt on the side instead of the front.
...Some of the guys were discussing an optional, more affordable and sometimes disposable switchblade carry sometime pre-electric light era and the attire they wore. Damn greasers! LMAO! (just kidding guys, "carry on" ...please).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:
this refers to gunhawks post where he mentioned the garrison belt.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Fishtail Picklock

The Fishtail Picklock goes back to early 20th Century Sicily, not the 40's-60's "Pomade Punks". This "variant" had a clip-point blade, making it infinitely more useful than a stiletto. Before you comment, I have a K55 and like it very much. It has a useful "drop point" blade that's quite efficient for a large number of tasks.

A Fishtail Picklock takes up more "real estate" but has been as reliable for about between 80-85 years. This speaks volumes.

You do the math.
Fishtail Picklock
lance

Post by lance »

Imho the fish shaped knive is pretty common theme amongst knivemakers in several different countries,since the beginning.,the fishtails we see were made for the same reason all the different sizes of knives were made.
The more ya make the better ya look,.the more ya sell!! Lol different styles and sizes are a must in business.
And they had a unlimited,array of different styles to emulate.
Fishtail Picklock

Lance:

You know of my historical/romantic attachment to the pattern. I look forward to doing business with you.

Fishtail Picklock.
Fishtail Picklock