What's the deal with Fishtails?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
fashionable_man

What's the deal with Fishtails?

Post by fashionable_man »

I guess this one's for the switchblade history buffs. Anyone know the origins of the fishtail picklock? I can see how the stiletto was/could be used for self-defense purposes and certain leverlocks were traditionally seen as hunting pocket knives, but where does the FT fit it? Curious.
jim d,

Re: What's the deal with Fishtails?

Post by jim d, »

The fishtail picklocks date back to before the 1958 ban. Like the stilettos, I don't think they were designed to meet a functional purpose as much as to meet consumer demand.

Jim
Bobby Cadillac

Post by Bobby Cadillac »

Let me put some light on it. I was a bonified greaser. North Philly was my play ground. I carried a switchblade most of the time. They were Imperial, sure-snap, or whatever blade i could buy for a buck ninety-eight. You had to be a rich dude to buy an Italian blade. Once in a while a junker Italian would filter down. Anyway, I'm getting off subject...The Italian knives were popular due to the intimidation factor. The more intimidating the less chance that someone would get hurt. If you pulled an Imperial, you might have to use it or get it placed in your rectum. (those cross-guards hurt on the way out).

Well, the same went on in the pawnshop. The knife that sold first was the knife that had cool factor. To sell It had to look evil.

The guys that would really F you up carried a pearing knife purchased for a quarter at the local 5 and dime or they would run to the nearest car and tear off the antenna and commence to whip the dog poop out of their victim. Anyway, Italian blades ruled. The fishtail was just a vacation from your stiletto. The fishtail was also a much better slasher than the stiletto. A slash is messy but repairable. You tag some stiff with a 13" Latama and it's all over but the chair.

Anyway, any you guys need a couple bucks till payday, let me know.

Bobby Cadillac
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bobby C.,

I'm not sure I followed either the logic or the relevance of you post.

Jim
Gort

Post by Gort »

You just need to spend some time in North Philly.
jim d, wrote:Bobby C.,

I'm not sure I followed either the logic or the relevance of you post.

Jim
-Gort
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Bobby Cadillac wrote:...Anyway, any you guys need a couple bucks till payday, let me know.

Bobby Cadillac
That isn't much help. Philly Cheesesteaks cost more than "a couple bucks".
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

I always thought South Philly was the rough part of town...
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
fashionable_man

Post by fashionable_man »

Bobby Cadillac wrote:The fishtail was just a vacation from your stiletto.
Bobby Cadillac
I'm going to steal that line! Brilliant!
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

When I was out there in the early 80's there were pockets all over that had some rather rough parts.

Then some of the near by subs...Germantown wasn't thought of as being real nice and then there was Camdon, NJ, close enough to be happy there was a little water between.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Bobby Cadillac

Post by Bobby Cadillac »

in 1956 a cheese steak would cost thirty-five cents. you could buy a 9" Rosco for about six bucks. Six bucks was a lot of money in an Irish-Italian, Catholic, blue color, stay at home mom with 9 kids neighborhood. Anyway, I'm just an old geezer that was reminiscing about the Bad Old Days, while making an attempt to entertain some folks. Sure didn't mean to upset anyone.

About North Philly...South Philly was a garden spot compared to N. Philly (still tough but a garden spot) Ya have to understand, "Philly is tough" I did not see this stuff in James Dean Flicks. I lived it.

If I upset you, it was not my intention.

Nighty-night

Bobby Cadillac
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Bobby Caddy,

I don't think anyone is upset with you. I think Mr. Jim D. was just saying that he doesn't understand how your rather lengthy post addressed the question... To wit, "Anyone know the origins of the fishtail picklock?"
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Bobby Cadillac

Post by Bobby Cadillac »

The origan was somewhere in Italy. For the most part they were Peddled on the streets of Naples to service men, post second war. It was much like the famous "Batangas Knife" of Manila. it was something that the service man "just had to have" Thinking about it... you guys ain't much different.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bobby C.,

Sorry if I came across as a bit gruff. Jerr is right in that I was thinking more along the lines of who designed the knife, made the tooling, assembled the knives etc. I do know that some of the old tooling was found among the old Mauro Maurio stuff several years ago and was used to remake the modern versions. I know that there are old ones bearing some different tang stamps that we are all familiar with

There is some space dedicated to them in SOI but I'm out of state at a client now and don't have access to my copy. Perhaps someone can take a look and post.

Jim
Grim

Post by Grim »

In my opinion i think that fishtails were just another Stiletto variant :idea:
DONT TREAD ON ME
tyler_rabbit

Post by tyler_rabbit »

It's a little known fact that they were introduced into the US via penguins.
(shot from the new Dreamworks flick Madagascar 2)